Raids on internet shops in Nong Khai,watch out in Udon.

General Udon Thani topics only!
businessman
udonmap.com

Raids on internet shops in Nong Khai,watch out in Udon.

Post by businessman » November 22, 2006, 3:45 pm

Yesterday internet shops in Nong Khai were raided by a company called RS Promotions looking for those using the computers to burn illegal copies of music cds.If you are involved or know anyone with an internet shop you could let them know.
They took away all hard drives to the local cop shop.I guess it will take time to examine them and i have not heard of any fines yet.

Bubbagoes
udonmap.com

Post by Bubbagoes » November 22, 2006, 4:10 pm

Raided by a COMPANY? This does sound weird. They don't seem to have the authority to take anything out of a private business. Sounds weird, but this is Thailand.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » November 22, 2006, 5:56 pm

:lol: Can you imagine if Micosoft led a raid on internet shops?I don't understand how a private company could conduct a raid and confiscate anything :roll:

valentine

Post by valentine » November 22, 2006, 6:30 pm

We had the same in Nong Wor Sor. It was plain clothes police accompanied by a lawyer for the company. they took away 4 modems .

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » November 22, 2006, 7:46 pm

probably the same guys that look for MP3's
they send in a young computer smart kid to search the entire LAN system, then they return with the police.

hxjohn
udonmap.com

thai music

Post by hxjohn » November 23, 2006, 5:36 am

i think you will find its only thai artists they are really intrested in :wink:
unless things have changed :?:
ps they have closed down shops in udon before for fake windows sofware
and will again iam sure

TIMONE
udonmap.com

Post by TIMONE » November 23, 2006, 4:18 pm

I had a play station shop and an online game shop in pattaya and was raided by various software company people with police. on 3 occasions...One time by a company named EA GAMES.....Two of my play stations had stickers on them saying ea games with a promo pictire of a game they sold..Yep you can guess what they took the play stations away and three days later got fined 20,000 baht ....I was offered the protection of being forewarned for a monthy fee of 2000baht which i payed. Four nonths later the same happened with no forewarning. Needless to say i sold up....Prior to that i was doing o.k in a non bar business..

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » November 23, 2006, 5:13 pm

RS Promotions Company along with EA Games, Asiasoft, BM Media and others have been doing this ever since I have been here. I insure that this shop is ran legally. I have lost customers, because I refuse to let them download music to my computers or burn cds. These companys distribute music and games. They lose millions and millions of baht each year from pirated copies. I'm all for the raids, and yes Bill Gates would have a heart attack if he seen all the internet shops using copies of Windows 98, ME, XP, NT or 2000. They should be checking the computer stores that build the computers also, they are the ones installing most of the pirated copies. Like I said, my windows are legal and updated, certain games are distributed by Asiasoft and BM Media, I pay each year for them to be on my computers. Most of the shops don't and some even are operating without a license. But like you say "TIT".

Yes I have had a visit several times and come out squeaky clean!!!!! I plan on keeping it that way.

Other raids have been done because kids under 18, during school days where on the computers playing games before 2 PM. Law is now kids on computers between 10 pm - 2 pm. Kids are allowed on the computers starting at 2 pm but must be off by 10 pm.

Now the internet shops can operate between the hours of 0830 - 0030. Some shops have already been fined because they were open after 0030 hours (00:30 am).

Been hearing alot about shops in this area being hit by the police and it's happening more often then not.

Me, I'm staying within the law, and it really hasn't hurt the business that much.

Pop's :pirate:

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » November 23, 2006, 8:29 pm

Way to go Pops!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cowboy Logic

Be honest and truthful, sleep good at night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » November 23, 2006, 8:36 pm

banpaeng....banpaeng...you always....you always....double.....double.....post.....post :fryingpan:

Or did you drink all that Bailey's LA forgot to recap. :guiness:

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » November 23, 2006, 8:47 pm

Found out today a local guy lost ten computers and monitors and got a fine of 30,000 from RS,making a total loss to him of 180,000 Baht.Seems strange they would keep his monitors,although i guess it just makes him suffer even more.

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » November 23, 2006, 8:54 pm

OUCH!!!!!! Yep, took the 10 computers they found where they were copying music and burning them on cd. Guess he didn't know how to cover his tracks....means also one less internet shop. He may close up there and open in another area also....but will be watched closely by the police for sure.

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » November 23, 2006, 8:56 pm

Is this the latest new crack down???

I wonder how many % RS gets from the fines????

Seems to me like a very interesting extra income for a company like RS.

Some time ago I talked with a thai guy that owned a small karaoke place in the country side.
One day also he had control by police accompanied by a private company.
They loaded his karaoke machine on the pickup from the police and brought it to the police station. He didn't pay a kind of tax on the music, kind of author royalties (or something like that).
He had to pay 28000 baht fine to get his machine back. He saw with his own eyes that the fine he payed was split between the police and the "music company" :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 23, 2006, 9:02 pm

Cookie, the Performing Rights Society in the UK have draconian powers. Their inspectors are allowed to call (on their own) in any company during working hours - if the company are playing music (of any sort except live music) then they MUST have a license to pay to the Performing Rights Society otherwise they will be prosecuted. The PRS claim (& I think it is a true claim) that they have NEVER lost a case in court.

muscle
udonmap.com

Post by muscle » November 25, 2006, 11:23 pm

If Microsoft is so concerned about their copyrights, why do they make it so hard to verify a bogus copy of XP when sold to an unsuspecting consumer by a "reputable" dealer? I just bought a brand new desktop from a dealer in the Mall. Won't name names, but it is the biggest one. It had Linux preinstalled which is of no use to me. I asked for a legal copy of XP Pro and Office. "No problem", said the clerk. Got it home, tried to upgrade the MediaPlayer and found out from the MS website that that the XP copy is a pirate . The MS website states how to correct that problem by paying the licensing fee and getting the key with a backup disk. But that only works if you are a US resident. The referred me to the MS office in Thailand which has not answered the phone in a week. No e mail address was provided. The dealer ofered to sell me a "real" copy of XP for 5500 baht although it isn't reallly a legit copy. It's the one that is supposed to be sold with a new computer. The manufacturer responded quickly, denied responsibility and suggested I go back to Linux. The only other option is to buy a copy of XP from Amazon and reload then entire system.
MS does not make it easy to be legal. No wonder so many people give up. I would like to do the right thing and verify this copy and pay the fee. They have stopped me at every attempt with horrible customer service.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 26, 2006, 8:02 am

Muscle I had a similar gripe on another thread on here a while back. Exactly the same as you I thought I had a legit copy but Microsoft said I didn't. Someone suggested that I remove all microsoft checking programs - which I did. I don't get any probs from anyone now. Just have a flash message that says a certain program can't load when I start up.
Previous Post
Just one extra thing, I had to rename a cuople of the files before I could delete them.

muscle
udonmap.com

Post by muscle » November 28, 2006, 11:54 pm

BobHelm wrote:Muscle I had a similar gripe on another thread on here a while back. Exactly the same as you I thought I had a legit copy but Microsoft said I didn't. Someone suggested that I remove all microsoft checking programs - which I did. I don't get any probs from anyone now. Just have a flash message that says a certain program can't load when I start up.
Previous Post
Just one extra thing, I had to rename a cuople of the files before I could delete them.
Thanks, I appreciate the info. As of today, it appears to be stabiized. My Thai computer geek kid hacked in a new code and now I am coming up as being legal. I am not so sure about that either. Pop-Pop gave me some great advice about finding a legit copy of XP-Pro and I am debating just buying one and reloading the entire system with the proper verification code. As I am depending on this machine for writing two books, I fear data corruption. If it was just e mail and fun, that would be another thing. I would just switch to Linux but my brain is full. I learned Cobol, Fortran, Basic and sevral other languages decades ago and I just don't feel like goofing around with kernals and the the other Linux jargon. Where is my IBM Selectric? That's what I really need.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”