Dengue patient total doubles

General Udon Thani topics only!
udonfox
udonmap.com

Post by udonfox » July 18, 2013, 11:41 am

I have learnt this morning that 2 students from KK.Uni. seecondary school have just been admitted to hospital with dengue.Both M.6 students,,but do not know their condition.A lot of worried people here.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » July 18, 2013, 11:53 am

Sorry to hear that, good reason to be worried.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

udonfox
udonmap.com

Post by udonfox » July 18, 2013, 1:07 pm

Thanks for your concern bumper.

milkman
udonmap.com

Dengue patient total TRIPLES!!!

Post by milkman » July 28, 2013, 6:16 pm

http://www.thephuketnews.com/record-den ... -41049.php
"The figure is three times higher than the same period last year, said Dr Narong, who heads the ministry's anti-dengue effort." This is terrible, scary news!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 28, 2013, 7:35 pm

The latest Udon news concerning dengue at
http://www.thairath.co.th/content/region/351806
Four times more cases reported in the province this year compared to last....279 vs. 71. No deaths reported this year. The areas with the highest number of reported cases include: Udon city, Kumphawaphi, and Sri That (west of Kumphawaphi).
Among Thais, school age kids make up the biggest group of reported cases.
The photo below is a young girl from our our gardener/maid's village in Ban Huai Duea which is on the Udon/Nongbualamphu border. A visit to the nearby hospital for some meds, and a visit by the village blowing doctor (หมอเป่า) and the girl is doing fine.

The baby sports a healthy mongolian blue spot, unrelated to the dengue fever.
Attachments
20130722_130846.jpg

wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » July 29, 2013, 9:22 am

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » August 19, 2013, 2:48 pm

Had Dengue last week, in retrospect should have spent a few nights in the hospital, though the doctor was not suggesting it saying the worst had past as I went in late. Yet in subsequent 3-4 days after that visit, I lost another 3 kgs. Could not eat or function for days. Then almost abruptly, Saturday morning I felt better, only some lingering headaches especially if Thai TV news is on!

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » July 11, 2014, 3:38 pm

Scientists say they have developed the world's first vaccine against dengue fever seen to work in large-scale trials.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-28243587

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 11, 2014, 4:13 pm

Dengue is one of those strange diseases......4 or 5 different varieties....get one and you'll probably be immune from that particular variety for life, but only short-term immunity from the other variants. A vaccine would be nice......but I'd probably only go for it if it were effective against the most pervasive varieties.
As I understand it, the white-black daytime mosquito is most responsible for dengue. Surprisingly, we saw more of those mosquitoes when we lived in town than we do in the countryside.......a memorable evening at Rabieng Restaurant at Nongprajak with friends many years ago...sitting outdoors and swatting mosquitoes left and right. They were all the black-white variety. ....not to say they were carrying dengue.

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Post by JoeThrows » July 16, 2014, 9:49 am

i've had dengue twice now, both times here in thailand and i've learned of a local remedy that works, and works very well and has a number of studies to back it up. papaya leaf, specifically young papaya leaf from the lower branches of a fruiting papaya tree, when crushed and squeezed or brewed into a tea or even eaten i suppose, significantly improves white blood cell count.

dengue knocked me out for a total of one month the first time, when a friend from india recommended i try this. dengue had pretty much entirely run its course by the time i did but it was still helpful towards speeding up recovery. the second time i had dengue i recognized the signs immediately and had my wife start making me a shot glass full of this very bitter green papaya leaf each morning and evening, total time until back on my feet was only one week.

several friends have had dengue in the meantime and each has tried this and had their white blood cell count checked (done automatically at the hospital when you tell them dengue) and it's made a significant difference.

should be noted that hospitals and doctors can't do anything for dengue other than give you tylenol and an IV to keep you hydrated, along with a bill for thousands of baht. save yourself the hassle and have your wife/gf make some papaya leaf extract morning and evening, chase it down with as much coconut water as you can drink to stay hydrated.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 16, 2014, 9:38 pm

my wife had dengue up in Vientiane a few years ago and the locals contribution to her recovery were nets of coconuts and telling her to drink as much as possible.. Seemed to help and certainly kept her fully hydrated.. The Doc up there from the Australian clinic just told her to stay home, take Tylenol (only), stay hydrated and only come back if she started having extended high fevers or the eruption of capillaries which could indicate hemmorhagic dengue.
Dave

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 16, 2014, 11:30 pm

A recenlyt released study hopes to have a vaccine soon, BUT sadly only about a 50% take up and seems its based on those who already have contracted the disease before. So sadly economics will dictate this one and as Dengue is found in developing and 3rd world countries they wont run with a public health campaign for sure.

It wont be of benefit to travellers, who visit the tropics.

JMT42
udonmap.com

Post by JMT42 » July 18, 2014, 6:01 am

I bought some of those little blue fish put them in every standing water source. They breed good and dine on mosquito larvae. Have lots of water around but no mosquito problem.

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Post by JoeThrows » July 18, 2014, 9:23 am

that helps, but it's the numerous very small holes such as buffalo footprints etc that many mosquitos breed in. they need only an inch of water, so there are plenty of places in a standard garden, that aren't water features. i've got some ponds on our land that are great for dragonfly's, any time i'm walking around the property they are all over the place eating the mosquitos

there are some really inexpensive home made traps that work and can be found on youtube. i like the large oscillating fan with a black net/screen on the back side, as the high powered air is drawn through the fan, mosquitos are drawn to the black color and can't fight against the wind so they stick to the black screen. then you mist them with either a kitchen soap/water solution or similar, take off the screen and shake them out.

farlong68
udonmap.com

Post by farlong68 » September 8, 2015, 9:58 pm

any update to dengue numbers this year? it has by all accounts been very dry so numbers should be down? thanks for any update sincerely john

farlong68
udonmap.com

Post by farlong68 » September 9, 2015, 10:17 pm

no one ????

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 9, 2015, 10:32 pm

farlong68
udonmap.com

Post by farlong68 » September 10, 2015, 1:26 am

thanks for the info wazza I had a bad dose of dengue in takli in 72 thought is was primary rainy season peak disease.. my thai bride of 45+ years thought otherswise and had heard it is really bad in udon but she likes kk and I like udon we have a trip coming up in nov dec and that's probably what has the center of the outbreak in udon lol marriage is a struggle some days thanks for the info cheers

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » September 10, 2015, 2:46 am

Dr Lunstrum says:

"Overall, Thailand’s has a tropical climate with high humidity."
common types of health risks:

"- Vector–borne infection such as dengue haemorrhagic fever, malaria, filariasis. Mosquitoes are the most likely insects to infect you, so the prevention is to wear appropriate clothing to cover your skin, apply mosquito repellants, use a mosquito net, get rid of the mosquito larva storage around your house (standing water)."

Those who still take the risks in running around in shorts even during the rainy season in tropical Thailand have at least the chance to become nominated for a Darwin Award eventually. :-"

http://www.darwinawards.com/
Please wear suitable clothing when attending a concert in Udon Thani. Slacks and short-sleeved shirts are ok, shorts, tank tops or muscle shirts are not.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 10, 2015, 2:58 am

There's nothing I see in the Thai press headlines about dengue problems in Udon this year......doesn't mean the chances aren't out there......but none of the headlines that you'd typically see if there was a spike in cases.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”