Caught Drink Driving

General Udon Thani topics only!
Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Caught Drink Driving

Post by Sakhonnick » June 14, 2013, 11:00 am

Hi, Just a warning to you guys, Tue afternoon i had had about 10 small beers in day/night complex, not the plan but thats how it turned out, normally when in Udon i book a hotel on that street but i tried another street nearby, within walking distance but i had drove my pick up to day/night so i had to drive back. Just round the corner from there i got stopped along with eveybody else, i blew over, they checked me 2 more times and was told to wait, i watched about 15 thais blow over and make deals though i never saw how much, i asked one of the cops what do i have to do to get out of this? he walked me to another cop down the street and he asked for 20,000baht, fortunatley i can speak thai, so i went into the reason why i was in Udon helping a sick thai girl etc and i got him down first to 10,000 then 5,000 then 2,000, i pulled a 1,000 out and said thats all im paying, he handed me my keys and off i went, thing is its a lesson learned i was lucky that one time so just to warn you guys out there.

cheers
Nick

747man
udonmap.com

Caught Drink Driving

Post by 747man » June 14, 2013, 11:11 am

Well Mate, I Would have had NO Sympathy for you,IF they had locked you up,You know it's against the law to Drive with that many beers inside you,Don't know where you are from but in ANY Other country you'd have been " Locked Up " & BANNED Rightly so,In that state you are driving a " Lethal Weapon " And why knowing you probably would fail the breath test did you not leave you're pick up where it was & walk to you're hotel or even get a samlor to take you ??

IMHO, You are a VERY Lucky man...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Caught Drink Driving

Post by Sakhonnick » June 14, 2013, 11:43 am

Ofcourse im not looking for any sympathy, it was a foolish thing to do and thats why im warning guys, though i had 10 beers i was not staggering around drunk, i dont speed and knew what i was doing, thinking i could drive to the hotel was stupid i know, it was a lesson learned

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Caught Drink Driving

Post by jai yen yen » June 14, 2013, 12:28 pm

The guy made a mistake and admitted it, then tries to help others by relating his experience. I don't advocate drinking and driving either but I don't think he needs a lecture for what he did wrong, he knows what he did wrong.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Caught Drink Driving

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 14, 2013, 2:08 pm

Agreed! But before others, who know me, step in I have been known to have a few and drive home. Definitely NOT in Udon though!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

nel123
udonmap.com

Caught Drink Driving

Post by nel123 » June 14, 2013, 2:13 pm

I got caught in the uk, got a two year ban! Had to go on a drink driving awareness course. I thought at the time "boring" but it actually turned out to be quite interesting. You might think that your in control of the vehicle but he more units that enter your body, it's a proven fact that response time reduce significantly. There's really no deterant in Thailand if you can get away with a bribe! The only thing that would stop me doing it again would be if you killed someone. Even worse in Thailand as IMO they're driving sucks and you always have to be aware of people walking/crossing roads etc, and worse of all.... Bikes! Just remember if you knock someone off their bike and it could be there fault, but you've had a beer or seven.... You are royally fooked!!

747man
udonmap.com

Caught Drink Driving

Post by 747man » June 14, 2013, 4:10 pm

jai yen yen wrote:The guy made a mistake and admitted it, then tries to help others by relating his experience. I don't advocate drinking and driving either but I don't think he needs a lecture for what he did wrong, he knows what he did wrong.
O.K You have you're point of view, & I Have mine.......I'll stand by what I said,I've too many nasty smashes through drunk drivers,with some fatalities over my years.....

Macca
udonmap.com

Caught Drink Driving

Post by Macca » June 14, 2013, 4:35 pm

It's bad enough driving in Udon at night with a clear head trying to avoid all the lunatics on motorbikes.
Seems to me the OP is more interested in the financial side than the possibility his actions could have resulted in someones death.

But I guess that's an Issan thing.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Caught Drink Driving

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 14, 2013, 5:02 pm

Another judgmental reply rather than looking at the objective of the OP.

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Caught Drink Driving

Post by Sakhonnick » June 14, 2013, 5:16 pm

Macca wrote:It's bad enough driving in Udon at night with a clear head trying to avoid all the lunatics on motorbikes.
Seems to me the OP is more interested in the financial side than the possibility his actions could have resulted in someones death.

But I guess that's an Issan thing.
OK maybe i should not say what it cost and not saying that will be the price for anyone or even myself if i was foolish to do it again.

My point is i though long and hard about what could of happened and the positive thing is after a long time living here somtimes thinking life can be easy could get very ugly very quick

My point of it is guys who might think of doing it please think first and dont

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Caught Drink Driving

Post by merchant seaman » June 14, 2013, 5:22 pm

What's amazing but not unbelievable, after failing the breath test, paying a bribe to the coppers, then given the keys back to continue on driving. Now who is in the wrong here?
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Caught Drink Driving

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 14, 2013, 5:34 pm

Had an acquaintance done in Udon 2 years ago just after the breathalysers were introduced. He, by his nature, is a very moderate drinker, had 3 small Leo's - was done a few minutes after his last mouthful - tried to tell the BiB they were supposed to wait 30 minutes before applying the device BUT NO ( they had NO ----#ng idea or the science behind the technology) - he was done - locked up - fined the following morning in court without recourse.

The hand wringers and social engineers are going to hate this.

ALWAYS REMEMBER - HYPERVENTILATION! A trick my olde man taught me in the early 70's in Australia. Worked - AGAIN - for me in Brisbane in April this year when stopped after a few:-

Upon suspecting your approaching a random breath check start deep breathing (don't make it too obvious) until you feel your finger tips tingling - DON'T GO ANY FURTHER - You'll faint and that'll ruin your day. What you are doing is over oxygenation your lungs.

Be calm, when offered the machine take another deep breath and JUST keep blowing until told to stop. Will more than half the reading. - ---- it's only science! :-$

Me, same as the OP, will try a bribe!

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Caught Drink Driving

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 14, 2013, 6:57 pm

747man wrote:
jai yen yen wrote:The guy made a mistake and admitted it, then tries to help others by relating his experience. I don't advocate drinking and driving either but I don't think he needs a lecture for what he did wrong, he knows what he did wrong.
O.K You have you're point of view, & I Have mine.......I'll stand by what I said,I've too many nasty smashes through drunk drivers,with some fatalities over my years.....

For once Khun 747, you have almost convinced me to respect Everton ever so slightly. A good reply and analysis. Thanks.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Caught Drink Driving

Post by pienmash » June 14, 2013, 7:23 pm

To the OP ,,,,thanks for sharing your experience a nice idea reminding expats leaving here and hopefully swaying them NOT TO DRINK N DRIVE ,,, you admitted your wrong doing and the fact you were lucky ,,so again thanks for the heads up .

mash

747man
udonmap.com

Caught Drink Driving

Post by 747man » June 14, 2013, 7:28 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
747man wrote:

For once Khun 747, you have almost convinced me to respect Everton ever so slightly. A good reply and analysis. Thanks.
Thanks for that Laan, Respecting Everton I Mean !! 555...

old-timer
udonmap.com

Caught Drink Driving

Post by old-timer » June 15, 2013, 8:58 am

OT has been caught for DD, last time I reversed into the fountain outside the golf club in Kampala. Quite surprised I made it that far, still cost me a night in prison and a fine. I think getting a BJ whilst driving is more distracting, unless your well p1ssed as well which is quite normal.

OT............ \:D/

Brilliant One
udonmap.com

Caught Drink Driving

Post by Brilliant One » June 15, 2013, 10:02 am

Thanks for the warning Sakhonnick. I got pulled over a couple of nights ago on the Ring Road. I had a couple of beers with dinner. Anyone who knows me would agree that I'm not a heavy drinker. But because the last one I had was only 2 minutes before the breathalyser I think it made the reading higher. The cop didn't want to know about this, so I stood around for 15 minutes discussing what the "donation" was going to be.
I was too ashamed to post the experience on here, but at least the OP had the guts to warn others.
I would never advocate drink driving. I allowed a lower standard in Thailand than back home. This is a wake up call for me. Please be careful.

Tafia
udonmap.com

Caught Drink Driving

Post by Tafia » June 15, 2013, 11:10 pm

I have been chatting to a number of guys recently who have been subjected to the breath tests in and around Udon. Without fail they each negotiated 'tea money' to save them spending one or more nights in jail.
Some of these very same people chat on here and other forums condemning the BIB for taking tea money at every opportunity.
Isn't it ironic that when the chips are stacked against you how useful the BIB tea money operation can be giving the alternative.
Drink Drivers also need to be aware that the BIB who pulls you over give for a breath test is not always your friendly Udon copper but a team sent up from Bangkok...and they dont usually discuss tea money until the morning after a night in jail..
Think before you drink before you drive!!

Barney
udonmap.com

Caught Drink Driving

Post by Barney » June 15, 2013, 11:29 pm

The longer the post goes the more we find that people are guilty of being over the limit with the amount of people giving the so called tea money. Sounds like the problem is bigger then what is let on. I am no innocent crusader here,and have no excuse as i am a close to home village idiot low range drink driver, but another reminder is that your insurance will not come into to the party if a serious accident with a 3rd party is injured and it is proven you are guilty. Insurance companies are not your friend.
Also has any one been asked for a legal thai driving license or at leaat an international license to go with the breath check.

Would be prudent to take notice of the warning by the OP. ;)

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Caught Drink Driving

Post by Khun Paul » June 16, 2013, 6:39 am

While one does not condone in any way drink driving, the Op had the guts to tell all.
When in the UK the infamous breth test came in, and unlike here, the rules were closely followed, as so after a number of years the number of drink drivers went down and it became a social thing if you drive you don't drink.
here when i first came i was astounded that one did drink and drive openly, now it seems that the police have had their orders to curtail the death and inujury caused by these social misfits ( those that drink and drive ) . Unfoirtunately with the Thai predeliction to all things alcoholic and the way they seem incapable to relating accidents to drinking , the problem is massive more than that in the UK. Coupled with the Police ineffectiveness and blatant corruption then you are just as likely to be hit by a drunk driver who has paid tea money as one who has not. the problem will never get better. BUT despite that when i go out and I am driving I will have one at the start of the night and then change to a non-alcoholic drink for the rest of the night. Not only do not wish to spend any time discussing my futre with a corrupt COp, i do not wish to pay any money nor do i wish to spend any time in a hospital due to my lack of concentration as i am a tad pissed.
The OP is to be commended but the nominated driver or lack of alcohol is the only way to drive and don't forget, even after a bender the night before you are still over the limit in the morning, so ensure you have a good breakfast and wait until at least 1200 the following day.
i have in the past breathalysed people as late as 2pm the following day and they are still over the limit.
Just a cautionary note from an expert.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”