Why I have no interest in learning Thai

General Udon Thani topics only!
Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Post by Frankie 1 » August 31, 2013, 7:50 pm

In my opinion, it's better to learn polite official language first, before starting to learn casual speaking language.

Take learners of English for example. There are too many students of English who write a job application letter (business level) using words like "wanna" and "gonna", because they never learned to use standard English and don't understand what they do wrong.

About conversation lessons, it's normal in conversation language teaching to learn using the language with confidence first (and allow yourself to make mistakes), and then fine tune grammar later.

Students who first have to learn grammar rules and learn to do everything correctly and precisely, often are not confident at all when they have to start using the language in daily life (Many Thai students also have this problem).

However, it's possible to have your own learning preferences and learning style.

akwoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by akwoodworker » August 31, 2013, 9:56 pm

Parrot,that is exactly what I do. When a Thai wants to learn English I teach one word a day until their correct pronunciation is good. Here in Fairbanks I know of only one Thai that speaks understandable English. I will be living almost full time in Thailand, except summers and 21hour daylight days, and will use the same approach.

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » September 1, 2013, 12:42 am

akwoodworker wrote:Parrot,that is exactly what I do. When a Thai wants to learn English I teach one word a day until their correct pronunciation is good. Here in Fairbanks I know of only one Thai that speaks understandable English. I will be living almost full time in Thailand, except summers and 21hour daylight days, and will use the same approach.
Cool ... If you want to learn Thai or English (at one word a day ... This works both ways) It'll only take you four days to say Hello!
Saa-waa-Dee-Khrap
Arter six days you could ask them how they are!!!! (Saa and Dee learnt three days ago ... just have to learn Bai and Mai))
Saa-Bai-Dee-Mai?
Next day and you'll understand an answer ... :lol:
Saa-Bai-Dee-Khrap.

10 words/day min. Thai or English should do the trick. ;)
Bring back Saint

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Post by Frankie 1 » September 1, 2013, 9:58 am

Ha ha, first many people on this forum complained about old fashioned outdated teaching methods in Thailand. The old fashioned rote learning and rules and lists learning was viewed upon as low level and sub-standard teaching/learning.

But now people suddenly come up with the same "sub-standard" teaching/learning as their preferred method. :lol:

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 4, 2013, 4:46 pm

You can improve your listening skills by talking Thai with your Thai partner or the Thais you live with. They know what language you might understand and pitch their language at that level. Outside home, it's much more difficult.

When my step-grandson was 3, I found him difficult to understand. But it's easier now that he's 6 as he seems to adjust his Thai language for me. He's very motivated to do this if wants something such as an ice-cream.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”