New International School Coming to Udon?

General Udon Thani topics only!
merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » April 7, 2014, 6:32 pm

If not a Thai majority student population then what nationality? Not westerners for sure, Laos? Chinese?

No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 7, 2014, 7:21 pm

I know, no fair comparing apples to mangoes, but I found this story in today's NYT interesting......wealthy Chinese sending their kids to Catholic high schools in NYC and paying "$47,500, more than five times what local students pay."
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/07/nyreg ... sh.html?hp
A Thai family we know locally had their 4 children educated in Texas....4 went to Catholic high school and 3 followed on to Catholic university....the family bought a small home near the local Thai temple (in Texas) for their boarding. Some people from the temple looked in on them to make sure all was well. The parents flew to Texas a few times a year to check in on them. They drove a sporty Nissan Pathfinder to school each day. All four children returned to Udon and are successfully running the family's business interests. They drove a sporty Nissan Pathfinder to school each day. I don't even want to think about how much money that all cost!
For some people, money is the least of their concerns. Probably more important is the quality of the education. If they can nail that correctly, the money will flow.

LoveDaBlues
udonmap.com

Post by LoveDaBlues » April 7, 2014, 8:06 pm

bumper wrote:Everyone always takes the easiest way. Sending your child to school by no means re leaves the parents responsibility.

The girl we have in English classes now. I sit with her and go over her homework. she knows I'm going to do that and she is ready.

some of what happens some of what happens in a child's education, can be blamed on teachers. Some can't.
My little girl finished the last school year with a 95 average. She had perfect scores on the last round of tests in English, Thai, and Math. I work with her on English and Math while the wife handles the Thai duties. In my opinion if the teachers had proper teaching methods and smaller class sizes I wouldn't have to teach her at home; perhaps help her if she was struggling with something in particular. I went to public schools in the USA and won a few awards along the way. Finished college with a 3.83 GPA graduating with highest honors. Not bragging just trying to hammer home a point: my parents didn't have to teach me at home as the teachers (most of them) knew how to teach and the proper teaching materials were available. The classrooms were comfortable, not sweat boxes. My child has a desire to learn and yet I have to teach her after school; what's wrong with this picture? :-k

I commend you bumper for helping with the English. I guess my point is you shouldn't have to. Schools are actually like a business. I paid Saint Mary's to teach my child and niece; IMO they did a crappy job. Would a person keep going to a restaurant that serves crappy food? I have a feeling they would find another place to eat.

Some folks might call my post bashing, they're entitled to their opinion. I call it stating facts. Also, I haven't posted a single comment concerning the new International School other than to comment about the rumored tuition. I hope this school turns out to be exceptional; would be great for Udon and families here. I can't wait to see how this new school develops; I already know what to expect in the states and have made a decision.

LoveDaBlues
udonmap.com

Post by LoveDaBlues » April 7, 2014, 8:10 pm

bumper wrote:Well I wish luck, Vegas?
Mississippi Gulf Coast. My mom lives by herself and will soon be 85. We'll look after her and keep the house/property in good shape. She and my dad did everything for us kids; time to pay back however I can.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » April 7, 2014, 8:32 pm

LoveDaBlues wrote:
bumper wrote:Everyone always takes the easiest way. Sending your child to school by no means re leaves the parents responsibility.

The girl we have in English classes now. I sit with her and go over her homework. she knows I'm going to do that and she is ready.

some of what happens some of what happens in a child's education, can be blamed on teachers. Some can't.
My little girl finished the last school year with a 95 average. She had perfect scores on the last round of tests in English, Thai, and Math. I work with her on English and Math while the wife handles the Thai duties. In my opinion if the teachers had proper teaching methods and smaller class sizes I wouldn't have to teach her at home; perhaps help her if she was struggling with something in particular. I went to public schools in the USA and won a few awards along the way. Finished college with a 3.83 GPA graduating with highest honors. Not bragging just trying to hammer home a point: my parents didn't have to teach me at home as the teachers (most of them) knew how to teach and the proper teaching materials were available. The classrooms were comfortable, not sweat boxes. My child has a desire to learn and yet I have to teach her after school; what's wrong with this picture? :-k

I commend you bumper for helping with the English. I guess my point is you shouldn't have to. Schools are actually like a business. I paid Saint Mary's to teach my child and niece; IMO they did a crappy job. Would a person keep going to a restaurant that serves crappy food? I have a feeling they would find another place to eat.

Some folks might call my post bashing, they're entitled to their opinion. I call it stating facts. Also, I haven't posted a single comment concerning the new International School other than to comment about the rumored tuition. I hope this school turns out to be exceptional; would be great for Udon and families here. I can't wait to see how this new school develops; I already know what to expect in the states and have made a decision.
Totally agree with you LoveDaBlues not bashing straight forward facts
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 7, 2014, 9:27 pm

I was interested when they said they were opening an international school in Udon. but yes the fees are steep. by the time my daughter would require it (forget about nursery) I could just about afford it but the quality is still a question mark and as LDB said, why pay that when schooling at home is free? (and probably better).

i will let it ride for a couple of years but i can see that the issue will have to be addressed, return to the UK (wife will not like that) or accept 2nd class education.

LoveDaBlues
udonmap.com

Post by LoveDaBlues » April 7, 2014, 9:30 pm

parrot wrote:I know, no fair comparing apples to mangoes, but I found this story in today's NYT interesting......wealthy Chinese sending their kids to Catholic high schools in NYC and paying "$47,500, more than five times what local students pay."
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/07/nyreg ... sh.html?hp
A Thai family we know locally had their 4 children educated in Texas....4 went to Catholic high school and 3 followed on to Catholic university....the family bought a small home near the local Thai temple (in Texas) for their boarding. Some people from the temple looked in on them to make sure all was well. The parents flew to Texas a few times a year to check in on them. They drove a sporty Nissan Pathfinder to school each day. All four children returned to Udon and are successfully running the family's business interests. They drove a sporty Nissan Pathfinder to school each day. I don't even want to think about how much money that all cost!
For some people, money is the least of their concerns. Probably more important is the quality of the education. If they can nail that correctly, the money will flow.
Exactly. I'm going to give my daughter the best education I can within reasonable monetary limits.

Teacher Dan
udonmap.com

Post by Teacher Dan » April 7, 2014, 10:32 pm

Barney wrote:Facts are showing it will not be a Thai majority student population. I wish them well which ever way I choose, because as most are stating a Thai school education even where foreign teachers are employed is just not up to scratch, so why not let them have a go and bring something to town which seems to be missing.
The only fact I posted regarding the school was the tuition prices directly from an email sent by them when I asked about it for my sons. That may of course have led to unfounded speculation, but I do know that few expats that I know personally would be willing or able to pay 190-270k per year for their child to go to school (and those are just preschool and kindergarten prices), so if not expats then where is this non-Thai majority coming from exactly? Please elaborate with these facts that you mentioned.
“In an age of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. You reap what you sow--if you treat me with respect, I respond in kind; but if you insult or disrespect me, I treat you with the contempt your deserve."

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 8, 2014, 9:49 am

Thanks for your comment my real point was not about me going over her homework. My point was that you sit the stage for the child's interest in school. My daughters in the states were always complimented on their behavior. I never expected a teacher to that, That was the families job.

There was one time in the states that my daughter got an A in math. They were doing multiplication she didn't know her times tables and i knew it. I asked the teacher not to give her an A because e she was a good kid.

They got two years of Private School both were honor students, Pretty much the same thing they are talking about here, Guided self study. What they studied didn't matter nearly mate as much as learning how to study. That is really missing here, memorizing a bunch of unimportant information really doesn't help much in future careers, But knowing how to find information and and how to apply is very important.

The most important thing we do for this child is letting her know we care, and positive re enforcement for what she is doing. Teacher doesn't give her homework she makes her own projects and we go over that. I have to say she came from a village school 6th grade I think. She couldn't speak English. But, she could read it. In the end this is a Thai child, so I will bribe her way into high school. We had to do that for her older sister. Whom I doubt very seriously will be going on to University. She is going to school has a job at the night market and into boys already.

So I will pay the bribes for the younger one, get her through University she will get a worthless degree. That will get her an entry level job, somewhere besides the rice field. She has a cousin who has a degree, that got her a job in Nissan stocking shelves. For us as foreigners education makes a huge difference in the child's future, That is not always the case here, no matter what school they attend.

Yes education leaves a lot to be desired, so do the eventual opportunities. English may get her a job at the Chareon, a place that really takes care of their employees. Not saying Nissan doesn't, But working a front desk at a hotel beats stocking shelves.

I don't know maybe things will be different for foreign kids, But here in Udon society want's Thai kids in the rice fields.

I won't dispute the education system being broken here. But it is only a part of the picture. So I spend an hour helping with her, really just in speaking, Something the Thai teachers can't do. Comes to math tutor time, I'm no good at it. My wife has a 6th grade education, just like the kids parents.

I'm rambling as usual so I think I better get out of this before I get into more trouble :lol: :lol: :lol:

LDB is making the right choice for his child, there is no doubt in my mind.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » April 8, 2014, 1:16 pm

Back in farangland employers lament the numeracy and literacy skills of university graduates. I get cv s emailed to my business email address and I don't even open the attachments nor reply when I see the crap covering email. I don't expect perfect English but I expect to see some sort of attempt to use language appropriate to the context of the email. I'm not their mate on Facebook. I give some slack to those whose first language isn't English.

I see very untidy teenage boys with long hair smoking in their school uniforms on the street outside my office windows. This ain't uncommon folks. I pity their future employers.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 15, 2014, 9:24 am

I thought this really pointed out the problem. This a Thai Young Man, money wasn't the issue. The fact that he was not prepared for University is. His biggest problem physics. Even if conquered it, where were the good jobs to be had in Engineering. Where would the pay come from for all that hard work. Worth noting.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/new ... titiveness
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 5, 2014, 6:13 pm

The 6 teachers for UDIS have been announced and on their web site.
Description on who they are, their experience and what they stand for are there for all to see.

Teacher Dan
udonmap.com

Post by Teacher Dan » May 12, 2014, 9:06 pm

Barney wrote:The 6 teachers for UDIS have been announced and on their web site.
Description on who they are, their experience and what they stand for are there for all to see.
Yep, they are available right here: http://www.udoninternationalschool.com/ ... ing-staff/

I wish them luck and hope it works out, but they told me that my kids would have graduated before they ever got to their grade level, so it's really only hopeful for those with kids 3-8 years old as if they're older than that it's too late.

Having taught at Don Bosco for 8 years, my concern is more for the Director as good teachers can only do what the Director allows or stands up for in the end and if the Director is Thai then it will still end up falling into some of the Thai fallacies in their education system AND foreign teachers, with all the credentials in the world won't be able to stop or change them. I know--been there, done that for 8 years: parents paying for students to pass when they don't, parents using their personal influence to get their kids passed or into school when they don't qualify, teachers/administrators offering their friends/family placement when they don't qualify, teachers/administrators offering "tutoring" that includes answers to all tests before the student take them to improve or keep their grades up. At least since most of them are foreign teachers, they won't be using the usual "rote memorization" teaching method that was proven ineffective years ago, unlike most Thai teachers--you can ask your kids as I've asked mine and my students for 8 years.
“In an age of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. You reap what you sow--if you treat me with respect, I respond in kind; but if you insult or disrespect me, I treat you with the contempt your deserve."

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » December 9, 2014, 1:18 am

Anyone have feedback for the first term which concludes this week? How many students per age group/class? Is it yet another international school stuffed with slow children of wealthy Thais? How many students are already English speakers?
Enjoy this site much more by adding idiots to your ignore list (Friends & Foes tab).
http:\\www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/ucp.php? ... &mode=foes

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » December 9, 2014, 8:21 am

Hi KD, I can give you a little information as my children were enrolled for the last few weeks of term.
The first thing I'd like to say is that the children and teachers, in their class, were very welcoming and made them both feel at home and as such there were no first week jitters.
This is very important to me as our children have had a big move from Australia.
All the children in the class speak English very well and the class is about 50% thai & 50% mixed thai.
Each class has a Thai teacher and foreign teacher and they look to use a lot of interactive teaching which I feel keeps the children interested in learning.
There are also online teaching programs that are used after school and on breaks in conjunction with set homework.
Three days per week there are after school activities including, Thai and Chinese language, Thai dance .
So far so good however as I've said we have only been in the school for around 3-4 weeks.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 9, 2014, 1:30 pm

KHONDAHM wrote:Anyone have feedback for the first term which concludes this week? How many students per age group/class? Is it yet another international school stuffed with slow children of wealthy Thais? How many students are already English speakers?

KD.

I like grievous am happy with the school. English is the language and Thai and Chinese are taught as independent subjects. Classes are small in size and slowly growing, welcome aboard grievous with your 2, we'll catch up for that beer when my work roster gets me home.
The school started slowly but has built now to a good rhythm and the new classrooms, security gate etc are now in full use.
After a few years in the Thai village school system I can certainly see a difference. My young one is very enthusiastic and wants to go each day. She loves the homework and is excelling in the spelling and maths, both of which are reinforced with online programs for home time. Her interest in school, I will put down to the enthusiasm of the current teacher.
Correspondence from the school whether it be admin or class related is good and emails are how it is done. Just received the first term report, 11 pages all up with a detailed report from the main teacher and the other teachers who take them for drama, music, PE, Thai culture.
I give it a definite pass for now.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » December 9, 2014, 2:40 pm

Does anyone mind sharing the fees?
..I follow them on facebook and looks like they have a good set-up.

We currently school my daughter out of the country but if anything ever happened and we needed to return to Udon would be good to know there is a good international school to enroll into.

Thanks

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » December 9, 2014, 3:11 pm

deankham wrote:Does anyone mind sharing the fees?
..I follow them on facebook and looks like they have a good set-up.

We currently school my daughter out of the country but if anything ever happened and we needed to return to Udon would be good to know there is a good international school to enroll into.

Thanks
Fees:
http://www.udoninternationalschool.com/ ... 4-2015.pdf

Easy to follow look at what's in the curriculum:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education
Watch Me!!

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » December 9, 2014, 4:46 pm

Presumably the kids are learning to read and write Thai. But over time they'd be falling behind in that skill?
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » December 9, 2014, 6:36 pm

Many thanks.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”