Snails in the garden

General Udon Thani topics only!
sgt
udonmap.com

Snails in the garden

Post by sgt » August 3, 2013, 5:38 pm

For the first time I tried to grow a small garden here this year. I had a few New Mexico green chiles up and a couple of watermelon plants. Snails practically wiped out the chiles over night. The watermelon plants managed to survive long enough to produce 3 before the snails got them. We probably kill 20 a day and still they come, not as big now, the smaller ones.

Does anybody have a solution to the snail problem? No, eating them is not a solution.

Thanks

KB_Texas

Snails in the garden

Post by KB_Texas » August 3, 2013, 5:45 pm

My mom used to lay 1x6 planks around her planting bed. One of my jobs was to turn them over each morning and kill the snails under them. Surprisingly, this is a fairly common way to control them. She also would use hay on the bed and a sand line inside the planks. (laying a 3-4" wide line of sand around the inside of the planks) You did not say how large your garden was, so not sure if this is practical for you. :)

http://www.arnobrosi.com/snails/garden.html
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7427.html

KB

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Snails in the garden

Post by SkyyWalker » August 3, 2013, 6:26 pm

Beer.

That's what grandma always used. Quite humane, too. Give em' a good buzz before they drown :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moQQ-xIcqbA

sgt
udonmap.com

Snails in the garden

Post by sgt » August 3, 2013, 6:29 pm

KB_Texas, thanks some good info there. My garden is small and trying to start again, too much rain right now. I like the idea of bait/poison and frankly if a cat gets into the garden I could care less. Not sure where I can get some of the stuff recommended but I'll write down (maybe have to translate) and see if the wife can find.

BTW what part of Texas are you from? I grew up in Orange where we are probably more Cajun that what people think Texans are supposed to be.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Snails in the garden

Post by rickfarang » August 3, 2013, 8:31 pm

I just go to the garden/farm supply store and draw a picture of a snail. The girl hands me a box of snail bait and by the next morning,the problem is usually solved. Scattering pellets around the perimeter of the property every now and then, particularly after a heavy rain seems to be enough to keep the invaders at bay.

Yeah, they sure can eat a lot of tender young plants in a hurry if given a chance.

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Snails in the garden

Post by SkyyWalker » August 3, 2013, 9:34 pm

BEER.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Snails in the garden

Post by rickfarang » August 3, 2013, 10:21 pm

You would waste good beer on snails?!

747man
udonmap.com

Snails in the garden

Post by 747man » August 3, 2013, 10:49 pm

SALT Get rid of them aswell.....

KB_Texas

Snails in the garden

Post by KB_Texas » August 3, 2013, 11:01 pm

rickfarang wrote:You would waste good beer on snails?!
Just use Archa... :-" :lol:

KB

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Snails in the garden

Post by SkyyWalker » August 4, 2013, 2:11 pm

rickfarang wrote:You would waste good beer on snails?!
The only good beer around here is from Laos or some other country... :guiness:

Arosolius
udonmap.com

Snails in the garden

Post by Arosolius » August 5, 2013, 8:17 pm

Snails love stale beer and it kills them. Put some out in a saucer and they'll all go for it.

sgt
udonmap.com

Snails in the garden

Post by sgt » August 5, 2013, 8:34 pm

Seems the beer solution is popular. I like the bait idea, especially when some of the baits will kill the stray cats that get in my garden and yard. Anybody know the name of a garden farm store here in Udon where I can get the bait?

Thanks to all for some good solutions, the wife killed 10 this morning and I found another 2 later.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Snails in the garden

Post by jackspratt » August 5, 2013, 8:41 pm

sgt wrote: Thanks to all for some good solutions, the wife killed 10 this morning and I found another 2 later.
Hopefully, you are referring to the cats. =D>

sgt
udonmap.com

Snails in the garden

Post by sgt » August 5, 2013, 8:52 pm

Unfortunately not. Wish I was, in addition to the snails.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Snails in the garden

Post by rickfarang » August 5, 2013, 9:43 pm

The place where I get mine is a the South-West corner of intersection in the red circle. You can use Phosi Road and Thungsri Maung as a reference. I usually drive along Phosi Going West. When I get to the light at Thungsri Maung, I turn left. Then I turn left again and the garden/farm supply shop is a the end of the street on the right.

I remember reading warnings about using this stuff around dogs. Its good to lock them away while scattering it so they don't get the idea that you are throwing something good or interesting for them. Afterward, hit it with a little water or wait for rain -once the stuff swells up its supposed to be less attractive to dogs. Don't know about cats, though (but the neighbor's cat who like so hang around our yard has not been affected). Hey...where has she been lately... :shock:

sgt
udonmap.com

Snails in the garden

Post by sgt » August 6, 2013, 12:58 am

Thanks, I have to do 90 day report tomorrow so will be in the area.

Biplanebluey
udonmap.com

Snails in the garden

Post by Biplanebluey » August 8, 2013, 9:57 am

Thanks Rick----- sounds like the answer to my prayers.I have been fighting snails for weeks with a losing battle,and almost gave in with the assumption that I would have to wait til the dry season and plant new. Now I have re-newed hope Thank you

parrot
udonmap.com

Snails in the garden

Post by parrot » August 8, 2013, 8:32 pm

rickfarang wrote:The place where I get mine is a the South-West corner of intersection in the red circle. You can use Phosi Road and Thungsri Maung as a reference. I usually drive along Phosi Going West. When I get to the light at Thungsri Maung, I turn left. Then I turn left again and the garden/farm supply shop is a the end of the street on the right.

I remember reading warnings about using this stuff around dogs. Its good to lock them away while scattering it so they don't get the idea that you are throwing something good or interesting for them. Afterward, hit it with a little water or wait for rain -once the stuff swells up its supposed to be less attractive to dogs. Don't know about cats, though (but the neighbor's cat who like so hang around our yard has not been affected). Hey...where has she been lately... :shock:
Could you take a photo of the package/box/container and post it here? I'll try to translate it into 'expat Thai'.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Snails in the garden

Post by rickfarang » August 8, 2013, 8:51 pm

I transferred the contents to a plastic container and discarded the box a long time ago, otherwise, I would pleased to post a photo.

I think if you just draw a picture of a snail you will get what you want.

If it is of any help, both Bing Translator and Google Translate agree that
"ฆ่า
หอยทาก"

is Thai for "kill snail.

sgt
udonmap.com

Snails in the garden

Post by sgt » August 8, 2013, 9:21 pm

Thanks

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”