Thailand Education is in decline

General Udon Thani topics only!
Firfox
udonmap.com

Post by Firfox » September 18, 2013, 9:53 am

I read this interesting article in the Nation the other day. It seems that things are going from bad to worse in regards to Thailand's standing in the education stakes, especially compared to their ASEAN neighbours.

Thailand's proficiency levels in speaking English is heavily criticised, especially in relation to English being the language of choice for the ASEAN community. Improving Thailand's English language skills ability is identified as the way forward if the educational decline is to be reversed

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 14891.html

Due to having an English language school in the family this article is of interest but I doubt very much that anyone will really take any notice
Andy

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » September 18, 2013, 10:04 am

I just wonder what the implications of the Asean market will be for the Thais.
At the bottom end of the labour market there will be a further influx of people prepared to work harder, more efficiently and for less money than the Thais. I assume their requirements for work permits will no longer be applicable.

Further up the ladder there will be employees for the neighboring countries with better skills, work ethic and communication skills.
Further to that there will be a more open border for imported goods.
My wife, like many Thais, is excited about the new Asean market. I just wonder what the benefits will be to Thailand.

Nick@AUA
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by Nick@AUA » September 19, 2013, 9:25 am

I think you are right Macca.

I have been thinking about the implications of ASEAN for some time now, and I have come to the conclusion that the end result will be this: The rich will get rich, and nearly everyone else will get poorer. Some enterprising people will do well, including those who can speak English.

If you look at the European community as a model, and how certain countries were affected by the community, I would compare Thailand to Spain - a country which relied heavily on tourism, not unlike Thailand, with very little manufacturing/industrial base to support its economy.

Now look at Spain.

gudtymchuk
udonmap.com

Post by gudtymchuk » September 19, 2013, 9:47 am

Thailand has only it's self to blame.... My wife quit taking classes at a well know English school here in Udon due to their lack of credibility and honesty. The nail in the coffin for her was the rewarding of Perfect Attendance Certificates for people who showed up twice, first class of the term and the class were the grade and attendance certificates were handed out. :roll: :roll:
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 19, 2013, 10:34 am

I don't think Thailand is similar to Spain Nick. Manufacturing is a very big part of the Thai economy. And I don't think nearly everyone else will get poorer but I too share a concern that the poorest Thais are vulnerable. Language will pose a barrier to work migrants - many jobs in Thailand are more suited to Thai speakers or to those who can read Thai.

I note the Thai economy has developed strongly for decades despite Thai foreign language skills reportedly being limited (but not nearly as limited as farang Thai language skills). Does the average Thai's proficiency in English really matter? I would argue it doesn't matter much for economic development. The same might even be said of the education system.

It might be that access to capital, reducing corruption, efficient tax collection, keeping red tape at a minimum, stable banking and political systems, steady infra-structure improvements, successful big Thai corporates etc. are far more important that the education system.

I also think a lot of farang in Thailand have missed what's happening in western education systems. Grade inflation and dumbing down come to my mind.

It might be that the Thais have the balance over all these things better than western countries and that's why the standard of living between Thailand and the west continues to narrow.

It will be an absolute tragedy if young Thais face the same near future as young Spaniards, Greeks, Brits, Irish ...
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » September 19, 2013, 10:42 am

Manufacturing is a big part of the Thai economy because they offer lower wages. If the standard of living is narrowing then wages will increase and the Thai competitive edge will no longer be there.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 19, 2013, 4:43 pm

Thailand has the 2nd largest economy in SE Asia after Singapore, the 2nd highest foreign reserves, after Singapore.. Review the article on the Thai Economy to get a fuller appreciation for where it stands vis-à-vis other nations. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Thailand

As for education, yes Thailand has major issues with curriculum, teaching style and certainly competitiveness within SE Asia with regards to English ability. That said, those of you who've been in Thailand for a while know full well that the educational level of the population as a whole has gone up significantly. Where 20 years ago, your average Thai might have a 9th grade education at best, a large number today finish high school and many go on to university or college. When I first was in Thailand 40 years ago, the Udon Thani Teacher's College was the only post high school institution in Udon. Khon Kean University was just getting started. Today, I'll wager every province in the country has a minimum of a large Rajhabat University and Udon itself has many college level institutions. For a general overview of the Thai educational system http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Thailand
Dave

JR
udonmap.com

Post by JR » September 21, 2013, 12:10 pm

Frazee you are right that the level has gone up. On paper and that there are more unis and high schools. But has the actual level of knowledge really increased? I think not. When talking to students today whether in high school or university, their lack of knowledge in just about any subject is appalling. When teachers in general are useless and ignorant, how could students be any better`?

Firfox
udonmap.com

Post by Firfox » September 21, 2013, 1:50 pm

JR you have hit on a key point here Thailand's education system is all about teaching for tests/exams and not for knowledge. We have many students come into our school and ask "can you teach me for the entrance exam at university".

We have to explain that we cannot teach for a specific exam but we can help you and acquire the knowledge in order that you are prepared for any questions/papers or just for open discussion on the topic.

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Post by Jing Jing » September 21, 2013, 4:56 pm

The education system was expanded to give hope to those who were not preordained for a career bought by their parents. KKU is cranking out doctor students but non of them want to work in the rural areas where they are needed. This is where ASEAN may come into play. The doctor and nursing shortage could be filled by Filipino medical and nursing students. Likewise the shortage of science and math teacher could also be met by Filipino teachers.

Large Singapore companies could look to acquire Thai businesses in banking, insurance and hospitals.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”