Revamped Site

General Udon Thani topics only!
Harpo
udonmap.com

Revamped Site

Post by Harpo » November 11, 2013, 4:44 pm

GARYZX6R wrote:
jackspratt wrote:Given that there have been > 220 registered members online since the OP was posted approximately 24 hours ago, and only 6 (or < 3%) have indicated their unhappiness, I don't think it is time for the management to start panicking just yet. :D
Funny its ONLY YOU thats posted saying you like it :-"
Oh yes.....Jackie Spratt....numbers man, and Udonmap auditor general for all forumites, and forums has spoken (again)

If I can be humbly permitted to offer my opinion on said new forum so management may consider my input without me being BAISED towards management (with respect), sponsors (with respect), and fellow Udonmapville forum persons.....I was very content with the former Udonmap website, this is of course in my inferior opinion, compared to those of greater Intellect, and Worldly knowledge...... supposably.... 8) 8) 8) ....cheers harpo

Great Southern Land

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Revamped Site

Post by pienmash » November 11, 2013, 4:47 pm

I dont see the changes as being anything other than a slight re jig ... i do agree with math80 without members using the forum it would be a pointless exercise advertising a business on it, however it is swings n roudabouts as without sponsoring businesses the forum may not survive or even exist ... i think it works quite well together and it appears most of the main information that was on the Home page is still there , so long as the active posts are a decent number thats fine.

I was offered the top left large banner/ad for the new business and took it to test the water over a few months , there are others ways to access the site for those who for whatever reason dont like the page .... purely as a business owner i do monitor the amount of business i get via the different areas where i market and UM represents a great advertising medium for my business and im sure for others in business here in the North East .

BTW ..I actually liked the old page ,,, but like the new design as well ....

mash

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Revamped Site

Post by semperfiguy » November 11, 2013, 4:49 pm

I don't see the need for the shuffling photos at the top of the page. Perhaps you could put your ads for the Udon Map and Udon Magazine in that location. The photos add nothing of importance to the website. Then you have more room for additional currents topics, plus no other advertisements will be hidden at the bottom of the page as one scrolls through the current topics.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Revamped Site

Post by jackspratt » November 11, 2013, 4:57 pm

GARYZX6R wrote:
jackspratt wrote:Given that there have been > 220 registered members online since the OP was posted approximately 24 hours ago, and only 6 (or < 3%) have indicated their unhappiness, I don't think it is time for the management to start panicking just yet. :D
Funny its ONLY YOU thats posted saying you like it :-"
I must have missed that post - can you show me where i said I "like it"? :-"

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Revamped Site

Post by jackspratt » November 11, 2013, 5:07 pm

Harpo wrote:
Oh yes.....Jackie Spratt....numbers man, and Udonmap auditor general for all forumites, and forums has spoken (again)
Good to see you are avidly following my informative and topical posts Harpo. Can't go wrong there. :D

chewbacca
udonmap.com

Revamped Site

Post by chewbacca » November 11, 2013, 5:19 pm

Lookin' good to me. I actually tried out someone's suggestion about clicking elsewhere instead of just relying on my habit of hitting one page every time, -found there's a few different groups on here who all tend to hang out in the same click realm. by that I mean certain subforums, -where by design, some of the content doesn't by necessity parse up to the "home" page. fascinating.

I've been told umpteen times about the Thai Language part of the forum but finally gave a click or two and http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/t ... -only.html

I'll be hanging out on that one more for sure.

Out of sheer curiosity I wonder what a Tag Cloud for this site would look like?

Anyhow it's interesting people even have an opinion.

Paladin
udonmap.com

Revamped Site

Post by Paladin » November 11, 2013, 5:27 pm

Many times the Forum has so many business threads, go back 12 months ago and the General Forum had some very interesting items, not anymore, there are to many friends of business owners continually bringing up their friends offerings, BORING, should be a special page for Sponsors ONLY and get back to the interesting Topics or have the Sponsors ONLY to advertise on the General Thread

howard
udonmap.com

Revamped Site

Post by howard » November 11, 2013, 8:42 pm

Paladin wrote:Many times the Forum has so many business threads, go back 12 months ago and the General Forum had some very interesting items, not anymore, there are to many friends of business owners continually bringing up their friends offerings, BORING, should be a special page for Sponsors ONLY and get back to the interesting Topics or have the Sponsors ONLY to advertise on the General Thread
Couldn't agree more =D>

martynsnowman
udonmap.com

Revamped Site

Post by martynsnowman » November 11, 2013, 10:46 pm

Paladin wrote:Many times the Forum has so many business threads, go back 12 months ago and the General Forum had some very interesting items, not anymore, there are to many friends of business owners continually bringing up their friends offerings, BORING, should be a special page for Sponsors ONLY and get back to the interesting Topics or have the Sponsors ONLY to advertise on the General Thread
here,here ....... :-k but without the friends of sponsors doing that how will the friends still get there freebies .. :-"

Udon Map
Admin

Revamped Site

Post by Udon Map » November 12, 2013, 12:04 am

Thank you all for your comments, both good and bad. After the initial revision, I increased the most recent posts list by about a dozen again. It's almost as many as there were originally. Do readers want still more?

The photos of the map and magazine enable people to look at those publications electronically. If they're generally useless (I think that I can find out how much use they get from Google Analytics), then I would agree that the space can be better used.

Other than that, as pienmash said, it's basically a rejig. I've added back some lines in the most recent posts list. I can add some more fairly easily. Other than that, I really don't see much difference. If I'm missing something specific, please let me know.

As always, I appreciate all of your input.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Revamped Site

Post by semperfiguy » November 12, 2013, 9:08 am

Udon Map wrote:Thank you all for your comments, both good and bad. After the initial revision, I increased the most recent posts list by about a dozen again. It's almost as many as there were originally. Do readers want still more?

The photos of the map and magazine enable people to look at those publications electronically. If they're generally useless (I think that I can find out how much use they get from Google Analytics), then I would agree that the space can be better used.

Other than that, as pienmash said, it's basically a rejig. I've added back some lines in the most recent posts list. I can add some more fairly easily. Other than that, I really don't see much difference. If I'm missing something specific, please let me know.

Udon Map, if this was a response to my previous comments, I meant to say that the photos taken around Udon city that shuffle are for the most part not necessary and add nothing to the website. I understand why you have to have the photos of the Udon Map and Udon Magazine, but you can move those up to where the Udon city photos are currently.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

broon97
udonmap.com

Revamped Site

Post by broon97 » November 12, 2013, 10:35 am

Udon Map wrote:Thank you all for your comments, both good and bad. After the initial revision, I increased the most recent posts list by about a dozen again. It's almost as many as there were originally. Do readers want still more?

I think my point has been addressed, it's good to hit the home page and have a look at the current posts.
Some members probably have lots of time and spent hours trawling through the forums, I like to visit see the current topics of concern and respond when an item of interest comes up.
Generally the increased list of posts is ok.
Well done Udon Map for your response

martynsnowman
udonmap.com

Revamped Site

Post by martynsnowman » November 12, 2013, 10:40 am

any chance of putting the last 10 mixed classifides back on the opening page ???

Macca
udonmap.com

Revamped Site

Post by Macca » November 12, 2013, 10:48 am

martynsnowman wrote:any chance of putting the last 10 mixed classifides back on the opening page ???
I'll 2nd that. Was helpful and needs to be put back.
Perhaps the exchange rate and weather report could be placed below sponsor links, 1 either side, and the classifieds below the forum.

KB_Texas

Revamped Site

Post by KB_Texas » November 12, 2013, 11:01 am

If the weather was moved under the ads on the left, and the exchange rate was moved under the ads on the right, and a floating latest classified ads section was put under the latest message headers, I think the site would be just about perfect. :) This would also insure people at least glanced at the commercial ads as they scrolled down to get to the classified area.

Just a suggestion...
KB

rick
udonmap.com

Revamped Site

Post by rick » November 12, 2013, 8:49 pm

I would like to see the latest posts list expanded further, or a link to the latest posts as was on there for a couple of days .... i certainly do not intend trawling forums looking for new posts. 1 days worth is ok most of the time, but if i miss a day damn near impossible to catch up.

Martyn
udonmap.com

Revamped Site

Post by Martyn » November 12, 2013, 10:42 pm

I think the new look is okay, the latest topics are all there but there's one thing that would bother me if I ran the site and it's the abuse of Google's 'above-the-fold' rule. Basically, when you click on a web page you should see a high percentage of content rather than adverts;
We’ve heard complaints from users that if they click on a result and it’s difficult to find the actual content, they aren’t happy with the experience. Rather than scrolling down the page past a slew of ads, users want to see content right away.
So sites that don’t have much content “above-the-fold” can be affected by this change. If you click on a website and the part of the website you see first either doesn’t have a lot of visible content above-the-fold or dedicates a large fraction of the site’s initial screen real estate to ads, that’s not a very good user experience.

Such sites may not rank as highly going forward.
Just my five baht worth of input.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”