General Udon Thani topics only!
bumper
udonmap.com

Will the ARMY step in again

Post by bumper » November 22, 2013, 5:52 pm

Not a good sign

Armed Forces now calls for national unity before it is too late

surachart-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Defense Ministry spokesman came out today for the first time to directly criticize the ongoing political turmoil with call for all sides to put an end to the widening and deepening conflict in the country before it gets out of control and is too late.

Maj-Gen Surachart Jitjaeng, spokesman of the Defense Ministry’s Public Relations and Information Office, said the political situation has intensified after the ruling of the Constitutional Court over the composition of the Senate.

He said rift was everywhere and deepened not only among politicians, but also media with conflicting news presentation, fabrications and bias.

They seemed not to accept the view of each other but merely wanted to defeat and overcome another just for the interest of their own groups.’

Such situation would jeopardize national security, he said.

He said that national conflict has developed throughout the past nine years and was deepening.

It is the time now for all these conflicts to end and all disputed parties coming out to face each other peacefully with talks as everyone shared the common love of their institutions and their country.

He said the past history has reminded all Thais that whenever Thai people disintegrated and struggling for power emerging, disaster will ensue.

Thailand has been regarded a land of smile and a land filled with hospitality culture but now are all these cultures still existing, he asked.

He said the current political instability is undermining national security, adding without security, the country could not survive.

The spokesman then called on all sides to set aside individual interest, stop creating hatred and stop hurting the country, but restoring peace and bringing happiness back to the people.

He said Thai people love their monarch, love the country and religion and therefore should come together to build the country before it was too late.

Source: http://englishnews.t...nal-unity-late/

-- Thai PBS 2013-11-22

I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » November 22, 2013, 6:25 pm

With yesterdays CC ruling, the response from the legislative branch today and the various civil-political groups adding fuel to the fire it seems we may be heading for a Mexican standoff. Civil groups petitioning courts to indite polititians - Politicians threatening to indite judges, the NAAC considering petitions to charge polititians and on and on and on it goes. Where it ends up? May be that the generals will be called upon to decide again. I hope not.
Watch Me!!

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » November 22, 2013, 6:25 pm

Your link don`t work, so here is the correct one:
http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/armed- ... nity-late/

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 22, 2013, 7:12 pm

Let's hope not.

It really is time Thailand grew up politically - which will not happen while the army is seen as some sort of backstop, ready to step in when the venal and self-interested politicians can't get their ---- together.

Alternatively, Thaksin - the most venal and self-interested of all - could do the country (which he professes to love) a great favour, and top himself. \:D/ =D>

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 22, 2013, 7:53 pm

It is difficult for Thaksin not to feel he was robbed of power by the army after winning two elections in a row. One would think that the people who oppose him would recognise the reality that he is the people's choice, like it or not.

Another coup will just lead to another standoff until the next vote in which the Thakin forces will likely win again.

The opposition to Thaksin just will not accept the will of the people, and not accept the fact that the people refuse to vote the way they want them to vote.

Yes, yes, yes, I know Thaksin has numerous flaws and often puts himself and his family ahead of the interests of the country. But, name me another Sino-Thai politician who does not do the same. Remember the political elites for the most part are all Chinese. Look at the leadership in all of the leading political parties in Thailand if you do not believe me.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 22, 2013, 8:03 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:It is difficult for Thaksin not to feel he was robbed of power by the army after winning two elections in a row.
Would it ever occur to Thaksin that he was "granted" power by a demonstrably flawed vote of the Constitutional Court in 2001, after he illegally concealed his assets (via maids, servants and gardeners) contrary to the 1997 Constitution?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/1471779.stm

Highly unlikely - megalomaniacs don't think that way. [-(

Perhaps this was when the modern-day rot (of which he is the primary, but not exclusive cause) set in to Thai politics. :roll:

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 22, 2013, 8:31 pm

All of this may be (is) true, but again please name me one Sino-Thai politician in the country who is not guilty of corruption when handed the opportunity.

The rot from corruption in Thai politics bagan in back in 1932 in which policies did not matter much to the newly formed political parties; however, the ability to win power, money and position did.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » November 23, 2013, 6:17 am

I doubt I could name you an American one. Politics is a dirty game wherever it is played. The one saving grace might be the Army really doesn't want to get into this. As far as I can tell.

Two years left I believe plenty of people in opposition, to tie things up in court. Before the current Government obligates itself to a 50 year loan. look at how long the the 3 G project actually took before it was approved. To my knowledge they still have not paid back the 97 loan yet. Given over the BOT, to clear their books of it.

So when I hear the Finance Minister, speak of what great financial shape they are in, I remember that and know he is not counting that.

So far the craziness has been stopped, through legal means and public peaceful protest, That is how it should be.

Maybe if it can get through the next two years, the Thaksin family may be out of business. They have let their supporters down in many ways. Some are still in jail from following their directives. The rice scheme that is the buy off. But, some farm groups didn't get what they wanted as well. The minimum wage has not been followed by all. So they may not be a popular as they once were.

Lets hope the system works, it may be messy and uncomfortable for some. But so far it seems to have worked overall.

I can't say that American Politicians are really working for the overall good of the Country. They are so busy with the games they cant even get a budget done. Lets face guys Democracy is a messy business. I would rather have that then the other options.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » November 23, 2013, 10:25 am

bumper wrote:.... Democracy is a messy business. I would rather have that then the other options.
I think that Winston Churchill would agree with you:
Many forms of Government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.

No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise.

Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.

Winston Churchill (in a speech in the House of Commons on 11th November 1947)
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 23, 2013, 11:11 am

the 2006 Army intervention into the government didn't go well at all. Media reports seem to indicate that the PT party has some type of agreement in place with the military so I wouldn't think a coup is in the works.. The Bangkok Pundit out of Asia News Networks has a pretty good analysis of the Constitutional Court's ruling on the Parliament's constitutional amendment to make the Senate fully elected vice 50% elected/50% appointed by boards of experts. Mind you the 1997 Constitution had the Senate fully elected until the 2007 military sponsored constitutional referendum http://asiancorrespondent.com/116144/co ... stitution/
Dave

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » November 23, 2013, 12:05 pm

"Yes", as Thai history confirms.

Time to close this thread? :shock: :-" \:D/

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » November 24, 2013, 5:42 pm

Maybe no just yet. Remembering who the Defence Minister is. Wonder if the was actually a planned announcement from her office. Essentially it was her ( Army) P.R. team that made the announcement.

The real Army AKA red shirts enroute to Bangkok Are they going to show their support for the Government, or are they going to challenge the Anti Protestors face to face.

So I would stay tuned for a bit :-"

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 24, 2013, 8:24 pm

Things 'should' quiet down for an upcoming birthday........but given the number of demonstrators reported today, I'd say things aren't looking all that rosey!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 24, 2013, 9:19 pm

police say 100,000 protesters. Dems and protest leaders say 440,000... Big propaganda game...
Dave

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » November 24, 2013, 9:39 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:police say 100,000 protesters. Dems and protest leaders say 440,000... Big propaganda game...
Police said at least 100.000 and that was around 6pm or even earlier. Thousands has arrived after that time and people are still arriving...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... ment-rally

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 24, 2013, 10:13 pm

I wonder how 100,000 compares to the number of Red Shirt demonstrators at their peak in 2010? :-k

Whatever, surely not a number that can be ignored ie not taken notice of.

Has there been in the past 20 years a politician who has so overplayed their hand as did Thaksin on the amnesty issue? [-(

Hubris will always get you in the end. \:D/

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 25, 2013, 12:54 am

well, the amount of Red Shirts in their extended protest venues in 2010 is equally debatable.. I lived a block away from Rajaprasong then. The government would say two to five thousand. The Red Shirts would say 50 thousand.. The government would say 15-20 thousand, the Reds would say 100,000.. Frankly, after viewing the crowds on many different days, the government was grossly under counting and some times the Reds exaggerated. It certainly could be the same today..
Dave

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » November 25, 2013, 1:31 am

FrazeeDK wrote:well, the amount of Red Shirts in their extended protest venues in 2010 is equally debatable.. I lived a block away from Rajaprasong then. The government would say two to five thousand. The Red Shirts would say 50 thousand.. The government would say 15-20 thousand, the Reds would say 100,000.. Frankly, after viewing the crowds on many different days, the government was grossly under counting and some times the Reds exaggerated. It certainly could be the same today..
I was also living a block away at that time, and I agree with you. But not when it`s the police, as they always says it`s lower than it is, and they said "at least 100.000" at 6 pm or earlier. Many thousand arrived later and I will say it was at least 150.000 there. But I`m guessing we get some more numbers tomorrow. Anyway it`s hard to say how many people it was as the area are so big. Ratchaprasong is a much easier place to guess numbers, same as Rajamangala where the reds are now.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 25, 2013, 9:38 am

This goes for all the different groups currently protesting in Bkk , i see there are huge numbers with a diverse mix of age groups , they have been gathering for a few days running over week days now weekends .... my question is ..... what do these people do for a day job , to support their families you know a real job and how can so many just up sticks and go on this jolly for so long ??

Am i missing some thing here ??

As for the army .. its only a matter of time till the ---- hits the fan imo

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » November 25, 2013, 9:54 am

A lot of the protestors are paid daily, along with free food and transportation. A lot of the rice harvest is done now, so lots of people available, from Issan. Bangkok looks like these folks have day jobs, wouldn't surprise me if they were paid as well. Nature of the beast here.

Very few of the common folk around, would have enough money to walk away from jobs, without any pay. Pay close attention to the age of the protestors. Lots of older people lots in the student age range.

The people still harvesting rice you can bet they are not there.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”