Fair warning ... Latest Tea money hustle

General Udon Thani topics only!
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 15, 2013, 5:05 pm

Laws are there it's when they decide to enforce them. Really up to them.

Not fair bumper ..... don't they realise this is Thailand ...... It should be "UP TO YOU" :lol:

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » December 15, 2013, 5:23 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 15, 2013, 7:25 pm

Scam spam. There really should be a filter for this sort of thing. You break the law, it's not a scam if the police stop you.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 15, 2013, 7:34 pm

ah but here there is always "prosecutorial discretion"....
Dave

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » December 15, 2013, 9:08 pm

Hi,
Never heard of prosecutorial discretion, if you are driving correctly, in LOS, Unless you are willing to pay a bribe. If you do this you are saying " how much will it cost me". This is what makes a lot of problems, to other people here, Who are driving correctly. IMHO
Qne time when I was going down to Pattaya I was stopped by a lone policeman. Just at the start of the mountain road. He said I was doing 120K. In fact I never went above 95. The wife was going to pay the100B he asked for, Which was a lot less than sometimes asked. I said can I have a receipt for this. I was fed up with rip offs every year. I got a GPS now, which records my speed for the last four hours, on a SIM card. I took the SIM card out of this and put it in an envelope. I sealed it and then asked the good policeman would he sign etc., after I sealed the envelope. He said what for. I said I was going to fight this in court. He then said on your way. He then said drive more slowly, I said can I have your number please, and he walked away. Next time I will get his number as soon as I talk to him. You live and learn.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 15, 2013, 9:59 pm

Douglas, I've had my share of encounters with the lone wolf (or with a partner) looking for lunch money. I consider them to be the exception by far. I'm no fan of the roadblocks with a table set up along side of the road, but in all the cases that I've been involved in with them, either I've passed through without incident (vast majority) or taken a shot for having a phone in my hand, seatbelt not on, improperly marked extended load among other things. I pay my fine, I get a receipt, and I appreciate that the process takes but a few minutes. Where my few hundred baht end up doesn't bother me...really doesn't concern me. I broke the law and the law won.......fair to me.

thalenoi
udonmap.com

Post by thalenoi » December 16, 2013, 4:36 am

Baht Man wrote:Latest for me as I've never encountered it before.
If she wasn't so family rooted here, making decent money as she does... she'd be on the next plane outta here.
To get fined in that other country for talking on a mobile?
Jeez.....

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » December 16, 2013, 10:16 am

Read this post a few times and kept thinking I'm missing the point somewhere.
Surely the police should be applauded for stopping and fining someone for using their phone. Hopefully it's the start of a new drive, who knows where the money goes but if you don't want to pay then don't get caught.
Have driven many times to the likes of Bkk, Pattaya and Koh Chang, been stopped a few times but never fined. If I was speeding, using a phone etc I would happily say "yep you got me" and pay the fine.
faranginUTH wrote:
merchant seaman wrote: Just like most learn after paying a fine for no helmet while on a motorbike.
learn what?
The ring road and Kutchap road is a popular spot for the police and they are there almost every day.
The line of those, motorcyclists without helmets, wishing to make a donation is endless and I don't get it.
I asked the wife why so many don't just where a helmet and avoid paying the fine. She reckons the youngsters wont to be cool and if they wear a helmet people can't see their face.

Simple solution. No helmet, park your bike there and come back when you have one or impound it for a few hours.

Kosavo has a great system. If you get stopped and have to pay a fine they take your passport and will only return it once you show the payment receipt, local post office, for the fine. I got stopped on the way to the Macedonia border on a Saturday afternoon and had to stay 2 nights in a hotel waiting for the PO to open. Never again

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » December 16, 2013, 12:30 pm

That discretion exists in California a ticket is an infraction, the law read an an officer may. Felonies it says shall. The may applies to misdemeanors as well committed in the offices prescinse, other wise a citizen arrest is required. Public intoxication is a good example, even drunk driving is a misdemeanor. So enforcement buy the officers discrestion is not exclusive to Thailand.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

Baht Man
udonmap.com

Post by Baht Man » December 16, 2013, 1:50 pm

parrot wrote:Scam spam. There really should be a filter for this sort of thing. You break the law, it's not a scam if the police stop you.
I believe the scam was going from 200 B to 400 B in a distance of about 20 meters :shock:
The more hair I loose, the more head I get.

Baht Man
udonmap.com

Post by Baht Man » December 16, 2013, 1:59 pm

faranginUTH wrote:almost all US states make it illegal to talk on a cell phone, some allow hands free devices
many make texting illegal

you must of been away from the US for a while?
Actually, I just came back from the US and they have no such law against driving and the use of a cell phone in Ga, however textng is.i :D

And just a thought...how would the coppers differentiate between the "hands free devices" and someone talking to themselves?? :roll:
The more hair I loose, the more head I get.

Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Post by Balthasar G. » December 16, 2013, 2:20 pm

Baht Man wrote:... If she wasn't so family rooted here, making decent money as she does... she'd be on the next plane outta here.
Well, whatever she does, DON'T make her go to the Netherlands. There, this 'little' summary traffic offence would have cost your wife almost 10k Baht!
I hope I die in my sleep like my grand dad did, not screaming like his passengers

wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » December 16, 2013, 4:25 pm

the spam and scam is that because she is a teacher or working for goverment, they think they dont has to pay any fine and they think they are higher than the law

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » December 16, 2013, 6:01 pm

You might have noticed I posted something about increase in fines some time ago, Hey you saved 200 baht be happy,
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 16, 2013, 6:11 pm

For some time now they have been stopping people for using the phone while driving, IO myself have paid 200 Thb, whats the big deal if you break the law you pay. I now only use blue tooth, OK I know using the phone as well but at least I do not have it stuck to my ear.
Soi those that do not like it, either don't do it or pay up and smile. But bloody well stop moaning. OK

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » December 16, 2013, 8:42 pm

bumper wrote:You might have noticed I posted something about increase in fines some time ago, Hey you saved 200 baht be happy,
I was recently stopped on the ring road about 200m south of Siam Grand hotel for using my mobile . The cop that came to my widow, asked for my license and explained that I was stopped for using my mobile and that I would be fined 400bt. I didn't deny it and told him I understood and he directed me to another cop at a desk writing out citations. The cop at the desk issued me a citation and asked for 200bt. I guess it's at the discretion of the cop writing the citation...

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 16, 2013, 10:24 pm

Khun Paul wrote:For some time now they have been stopping people for using the phone while driving, IO myself have paid 200 Thb, whats the big deal if you break the law you pay. I now only use blue tooth, OK I know using the phone as well but at least I do not have it stuck to my ear.
Soi those that do not like it, either don't do it or pay up and smile. But bloody well stop moaning. OK
FROM ANOTHER THREAD..

Khun Paul wrote:While I deplore the way it has become an obvious fair for selling some good things and also unadulterated rubbish, the organisers really need to get down to planning it a tad better, as the entire town almost grounds to halt when it is on. true it is crowd puller, but only a couple of weeks before they hada gardening fair as I call it and yet again the same people come back for more causing horrendous traffic problems around the outside and to top it all after the closing the Chinese Thais did their march back to the Temple, not a problem but the complete lack of traffic control and organisation by the |Thai Police , left me parked engine off, just outside Macdonalds trying to get home for at least 30-445 mins while groups of various Chinese lodges ambled along , when it was over it took yet anothger 30 mins to get moving, as again the Police did absolutely nothing to alleviate the stacked up traffic and Thais being Thais completly ignored the traffic lights, causing more mayhem.

But as this is Thailand it will take a death or two to even wake up the police to Police it properly, so maybe next year I will give it a miss and visit watering holes outside town when the fair is on just another thought my neighbour (Thai ) went there and ate some food, 50% of the Thai family (approx 5 people ) are ill with food poisoning , so another reason to give it a miss.

KP ...AT WHAT POINT DOES A MOAN BECOME A WHINGE ??

KP ... i am still trying to work out just why you carry on residing here in Udon or Thailand for that matter ,, you rarely have anything positive or nice to say about life here and seem to always dwell on the negative not the positive ..yes i know there are many general things that can annoy or unsettle expats here like the driving , cultural oddities and coruption etc .. but FGS come on life is not one long whinge ,,,is it ?.... be happy Climat is nearly upon us , the season of good will and cheer to all mankind ...even the BIB !!

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » December 17, 2013, 10:01 am

interesting, most of us are used to tight schedules to get things done. But being retired do we really need that here. Talking on a cell phone is a distraction while driving. Traffic is dangerous enough here, You call l always call back or pull over.

As to the tight schedules we are retired now, for the most part no schedules involved. We wanted a place that was more lay back, well this is it, most of the time.

I have my times delays bother me as well. Foolish on my part. [-X

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » December 17, 2013, 11:10 am

everybody is so important they have to have carry and use all the time
mostly I imagine the super important call is a load of crap
what did we do 20 years ago
where were all those important calls

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 17, 2013, 12:19 pm

noosard wrote:everybody is so important they have to have carry and use all the time
mostly I imagine the super important call is a load of crap
what did we do 20 years ago
where were all those important calls
A very good point noosard ...tho many members wont believe it DM is actually of an age where i can just ... thats just remember a time where there were very very few mobile phones , and the folks that did have one were quite strong as the phones and their batteries were huge !! .. nowadays everyone and his dog has a mobile including very young kids ,, for the most part most conversations are totally unessessary ... i dont like mobiles they are an irritation and i often joke Dao should have hers scotch taped to her head !! ...alas impossible to run the business nowadays with out one ...

I recall a very successful businessman friend of mine commenting .... quote: the sign of a successful businessman / woman is him or her NOT having a mobile phone !!....i thought for a while and then realized its very true....still away to go for DM in that case .

dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”