"Tis the Season" or the Prodigals return

General Udon Thani topics only!
FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 28, 2013, 6:57 am

Friday before New Year's.. The first wave of down country returnees are back.. Revelry begins... The thump thump thump of heavy bass Luk Thung shatter the night's peace frosted by the sour notes of drunken karaoke.. Last night my house was assaulted by sound waves from two directions probably from up to a kilometer away.. I wondered if, as last year the sound would cease at 1 AM.. Wonder of wonders it did...

Yeah, I know, Sanook Mak!! Muan Ly!!

Dave

Paladin
udonmap.com

Post by Paladin » December 28, 2013, 7:45 am

I had them also, Stage placed together in the afternoon right in front of my house without asking if it would be O.K. Tables and chairs arranged in the street. From 7 pm until 12 midnight the same thump thump of the base, Karaoke at its loudest. Cant really complain because I had a front row seat perving at the beautiful dancers from my Porch.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » December 28, 2013, 7:56 am

Hi,
I had a better view when one took place next door to me, last year. There were about ten girls dancing on a raised stage, at the back of this they were changing their dresses, thought id gone to heaven, until the wife caught me perving, She was not a happy chappie .

Paladin
udonmap.com

Post by Paladin » December 28, 2013, 8:00 am

Some people have all the Luck

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » December 28, 2013, 10:12 am

I can't for the life of me understand how people can think that they have a right to disturb the peace of the entire neighborhood just so one household can frolic in their own revelry. My wife says to leave them alone and let them enjoy themselves since they only do this foolishness once a year. We live in a village that is surrounded by hundreds of other relatively newer homes, so someone is having a Tam Boon nearly every night in celebration of a new home purchase, a birthday, an anniversary...the dog had new pups...whatever excuse they can come up with to get themselves further in debt just to impress their friends with a lavish party and expensive band. Seems to me if they really wanted to impress their friends they would hire a banquet room down at one of the local hotels and take the party away from the neighborhood. Any fool can pitch a tent and set up plastic chairs in the street, so I'm totally unimpressed!

In my opinion all this nonsensical noise making has less to do with tradition and more to do with just plain old selfishness. It's the same mentality as is common to the new generation of kids who think nothing of loading up their cars with built-in boom boxes and riding up and down the street blowing our everybody's eardrums. It's all about me, me, me and nothing about showing respect for the rights of others to enjoy a peaceful life.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 28, 2013, 10:43 am

And I suppose it was you guys on the phone to the local cop shop back home as soon as someone's party went on until 00:01 am ?
So long as they are finished before 00:00 midweek or may be 01:00 Friday/Saturday, why not let them have their fun, jeeze, there sure ain't much to smile/have fun about these days ........ Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year :guiness: :drunk: :guiness: :drunk: :drunk: :fryingpan: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » December 28, 2013, 11:05 am

stattointhailand wrote:And I suppose it was you guys on the phone to the local cop shop back home as soon as someone's party went on until 00:01 am ?
So long as they are finished before 00:00 midweek or may be 01:00 Friday/Saturday, why not let them have their fun, jeeze, there sure ain't much to smile/have fun about these days ........ Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year :guiness: :drunk: :guiness: :drunk: :drunk: :fryingpan: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:
Yea...that would be me all right. And the party didn't have to go on until 00:01 AM for me to give a call to the local sheriff. With me it's not so much the noise that bothers me but the fact that others can be so selfish and infringe on my right to privacy and peace. Principles matter...and some people just don't have any, so there's the rub!

And sure...I guess I could tolerate the locals going on until midnight, but it seldom happens that they shut the party down that early. There should be a local ordinance that noise has to be maintained at a certain level and the party has to stop at midnight. Normal people don't stay up all hours of the night, so the party is allowed to go on into the wee hours of the morning just to accommodate all the drunks. Makes no sense to me that decent folks would sit back and allow drunkards and 4 legged dogs to rule the sois at night...both of which bark all night and disturb one's sleep.

Cheers to all and Happy New Year! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » December 28, 2013, 12:39 pm

The worst offenders are the people who live on the Bansansaran estate.
It's what happens when there is no effective management company, or residents association. Only a few roads pay for the upkeep.
Shops, scooter gangs, tyre warehouses, welding shops, closed clubhouse.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

Paladin
udonmap.com

Post by Paladin » December 28, 2013, 1:35 pm

If you cannot beat them, join them. Life is to short to moan, this sort of thing will go on regardless of what we as farangs think, we do not understand why Thai people continually want to blow their minds with very loud music. I think that their Brain Dead Heads do not ever think of other peoples comfort. That is not the last of the evening for them as they have to go home Brain Dead and drunk, then cause multiple problems on the roads. TIT

JMT42
udonmap.com

Post by JMT42 » December 28, 2013, 3:03 pm

What a miserable bunch of old bastards. Any party in our village I am welcome to dive right in drink some lao khao and have a good time. Not a problem and I am 71.

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » December 28, 2013, 6:21 pm

semperfiguy wrote:I can't for the life of me understand how people can think that they have a right to disturb the peace of the entire neighborhood
It's all about me, me, me and nothing about showing respect for the rights of others to enjoy a peaceful life.
Er, how much research did you do into local behaviour patterns before coming to live in Thailand????? :shock:

I don't like it, but I know that I have to live with it, so I just play my stereo a little louder. :D

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » December 28, 2013, 6:35 pm

Bonanza wrote:
semperfiguy wrote:I can't for the life of me understand how people can think that they have a right to disturb the peace of the entire neighborhood
It's all about me, me, me and nothing about showing respect for the rights of others to enjoy a peaceful life.
Er, how much research did you do into local behaviour patterns before coming to live in Thailand????? :shock:

I don't like it, but I know that I have to live with it, so I just play my stereo a little louder. :D

Sorry, but what kind of research do you refer to?
3 or 4 times a week there will be a pick up driving through the village at 6am selling eggs, noodles etc making a hell of racket, or the head village making a monotone announcement of the weeks news.
I really can not see the benefit to anyone.

Would love to know here you find this kind of "research" information, please share.

I have been to many Thai weddings, parties, fairs etc and every time amazed by the volume of noise individuals make with absolutely no respect to others.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 28, 2013, 7:47 pm

sf "infringe on my right to privacy and peace."

I take it you're back in the US again?

As for that truck plying the alleys at 6AM selling Auntie's Fermented Fish, most anyone who's spent a day or two outside of the comfort of a hotel in Thailand knows that 6AM is when the village head man has his chat with the villagers over the loudspeakers. The villagers have long awakened....ready to drop a few hands of sticky rice in bowls of passing monks. I doubt you'd ever hear a villager complain about the racket.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 28, 2013, 8:06 pm

I must admit that very little research was required before I moved here for me to understand that I was not moving to a "Little Manchester", or a "West Kentucky" enclave in SE Asia.

I was, however, aware that matters such as "respect, privacy, selfishness, peace" etc etc are not universal "principles", but very much determined by the local customs and culture.

While I am sometimes uncomfortable with the loud music and carry-on (particularly when I first arrived here), it would never have occurred to me to come on to a farang forum to whinge about what the locals have been doing socially for generations, and even more so, expect them to stop just to please me. :-$

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » December 28, 2013, 8:15 pm

Nice to see the usual lover boys holding hands and sticking together.

I have never been 1 to stay in "comfort hotels" and I am generally one of the 1st to be awake in the village.
There was no whinge on my behalf, I just highlighted I don't see the benefit to anyone.

As for the "I doubt you'd ever hear a villager complain about the racket" remember that next time your talking about a bus crash, corruption etc and comment about how these things are just accepted.

Seriously, some people are just that desperate to be accepted by their local community :D :D :D :D

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » December 28, 2013, 8:26 pm

On the topic of selfish ignorant behavior,Why is it Bars must close at midnight?
Yet these idiots with their mega "You must listen".... "Music" Can carry on through the night, making monkey noises
and crap"singing?"
Its not just in villages either.A lot of people need go to work in the morning But they dont give a s***
Yes have a party but why so loud? Is it really necessary?.... "YOU MUST LISTEN!"

BTW,At Nong Sam Rong near papa farnangs, Some sad "person" puts on this sad depressing music.
Like bing crosby gone wrong Every morning, every evening same song
Is he mental?or just lonely? WTF is it?
Dont anyone come out with that same old Cliche "If you dont like it,F off back home." please.
Here is a great place to live. Just odd low life spoil it now and then
Mai mee tahng !

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » December 28, 2013, 8:33 pm

JMT42 wrote:What a miserable bunch of old bastards. Any party in our village I am welcome to dive right in drink some lao khao and have a good time. Not a problem and I am 71.
At the moment In Nong Sam Rong is a really loud Mor lum. Really blasting it out
Why not go there? All the thais to see you.
Take you in the front and make you dance with them that silly jig they do :lol:
Make that monkey noise you be a star!
Why they sing flat? :lol:
Mai mee tahng !

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 28, 2013, 8:45 pm

Macca wrote: Seriously, some people are just that desperate to be accepted by their local community :D :D :D :D
And others seem desperately unaware that they are no longer living in their "local community". :roll:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 28, 2013, 8:48 pm

mortiboy wrote: Here is a great place to live. Just odd low life spoil it now and then
No doubt a number of the natives would heartily endorse that sentiment, morti. \:D/ :D

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » December 28, 2013, 8:52 pm

jackspratt wrote:
Macca wrote: Seriously, some people are just that desperate to be accepted by their local community :D :D :D :D
And others seem desperately unaware that they are no longer living in their "local community". :roll:
Sorry but I have been living in local communities since I was 18. In countries you wouldn't dream of visiting let alone have the balls to stay there.

From your statement I assume you accept the things that used to shock you. Your choice I have a different approach.

Drink driving, overloaded motorcycles, domestic abuse, corruption etc etc the list goes on.
All, in your words acceptable, because the locals have been doing it for generations.

We all have are standards.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”