Book Value of Used Cars in Udon

General Udon Thani topics only!
semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » April 5, 2014, 4:15 pm

My stepson is in the market for a nice older used car in the 2-300,000 baht range. We've looked at LNS Used Cars on the Nong Khai Hwy. and at two of the SURE Stores at the Toyota dealerships. They appear to be about the only reputable and reliable stores in town, but the prices seem astronomical for used cars. In the US we have the Kelly Blue Book and other websites that will give us the wholesale and retail values of most models of used cars within the last 10 years. Armed with that information I can generally tell if I'm getting a good or bad deal on a pre-owned car.

So, do any of the forum participants know of such a book or website in Thailand that can give book values of used autos in Thailand, or Udon in particular? Surely the banks and other financing institutions have to have some standard by which to establish true loan value. You help is indeed appreciated.

Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Mudshark
udonmap.com

Post by Mudshark » April 5, 2014, 5:05 pm

The used car websites in Bangkok give a good indication of asking price: http://taladrod.com/w20/Search/DashBoard.aspx

There is a redbook (http://www.redbookasiapacific.com) that operates on a pay per report bAsis.

The car market seems fairly thin in Udon. You may have better luck looking for a used truck.

wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » April 5, 2014, 6:34 pm

you can look here too - http://www.pantipmarket.com/

Kiatnakin bank has auction 11. April 10.00

look here - you can see what is on the auction and you can go look the day before
and you can also see the result from last time
remember too put the fee and vat on
http://www.kiatnakin.co.th/en/promotion ... tentID=107
they has minium 2-3 time every month

same day 11.April - auction from apple - by the chinese supermarket - and again the do 25.11. 12.00

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » April 6, 2014, 8:10 am

Most of the used cars on car lots,foreclosed houses etc.etc.are repossessed by the banks financing them and the banks don't discount them.They carry them on their books as assets,including accruing interest and other fees.That is why the prices are so high.You will never get near those prices as trade-ins for a new purchase.

Your best bet is to find and individual that,hopefully has done regular maintenance and stay away from the car lots and auctions.

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » April 6, 2014, 9:10 am

I always thought, though may be wrong, the Thailand used car price was high because the high tax is built in and is amortized over time along with the car. In other words, the tax is not simply discounted off the price with the first buyer, and second hand buyer not paying any.

Sort of like in Singapore, the C.O.E. is good for ten years, so 10% of the C.O.E applies per year, plus the amortized price of the car.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 6, 2014, 9:29 am

wiking wrote:you can look here too - http://www.pantipmarket.com/

Kiatnakin bank has auction 11. April 10.00

look here - you can see what is on the auction and you can go look the day before
and you can also see the result from last time
remember too put the fee and vat on
http://www.kiatnakin.co.th/en/promotion ... tentID=107
they has minium 2-3 time every month

same day 11.April - auction from apple - by the chinese supermarket - and again the do 25.11. 12.00
That is where I would start, even you buy one from a used car lot, chances you will not get a warranty anyway. For the most part Thai's are not known for changing oil Ect. I checked that auction, you have to out up 10K to bid, refundable is you don't win a bid, applied to the purchase price if you win on a bid. Remember your going up against Thai used care dealers. They may not like you much an they can be ruthless.

The bank will finance if you win a bid, if you qualify for a loan.

As mentioned before it's primarily pickups.

You can go on the lot and look over the vehicles before the auction. If I were going to do that I would go ahead of the auction. Pick out a few I have an interest in, sit my limit on what I would pay. Then I would send a Thai to bid and stay out of the picture.

Truthfully in the end, your probably better off just to buy a new one. Then you do have a warranty, the difference in price really isn't that much or at least it wasn't in the days I was shopping for a vehicle. Maybe tings have changed I don't know.

Baht and sold has a ton of vehicles listed, worth a look.

Good Luck

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 6, 2014, 3:27 pm

Well, depends on what sort of car you have in mind. For that price you get a 7-10 year old Vios, at 50% of new price.... better off with a small Ecocar - some are available second hand for just under 300,000 and only 3 years old. However need to be careful as might have outstanding finance on them... a new ecocar will cost 100,000 baht more, but it is new and their are special offers available like 12 months road tax, insurance and free or cheap finance.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”