duty free limits policed

General Udon Thani topics only!
wallabyjack
udonmap.com

duty free limits policed

Post by wallabyjack » July 25, 2014, 10:26 am

The 10,000 baht duty-free limit on new personal items purchased overseas by incoming air passengers is now being strictly policed, the Customs Department announced on Tuesday. Incoming air passengers...

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/4 ... d-overseas. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Post Publishing PCL. All rights reserved.

Udon Map
Admin

duty free limits policed

Post by Udon Map » July 25, 2014, 11:23 am

They can't be serious. The sign with the explanation and warning to tourists is in Thai?

I don't understand the rules. Is a tourist liable for duty on the value of everything in his/her possession? Is there a Thai government website which explains the rules?

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

duty free limits policed

Post by JimboPSM » July 25, 2014, 11:27 am

That is an old article from Tuesday 1st July (which was pretty quickly walked back on).
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

joepai
udonmap.com

duty free limits policed

Post by joepai » July 25, 2014, 3:08 pm

It certainly was and old article - I came through customs at Swampy this morning and not a single officer to be seen !
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

TGSA01
udonmap.com

duty free limits policed

Post by TGSA01 » July 25, 2014, 8:42 pm

Same experience a few weeks ago, did not see anyone being checked by customs... I think there is a lot of panic out there for nothing...

Hunter58
udonmap.com

duty free limits policed

Post by Hunter58 » July 25, 2014, 9:03 pm

I flew in from Dubai about 5 weeks ago.
While leaving arrivals hall with one suitcase I was taken aside and. My case searched.
I had 2 bottles of whiskey in my case.
I was told I was over the limit but let go with warning and no fine.
I flew. In from Singapore last week. No check.
Sometimes they check, sometimes not.

Techland
udonmap.com

duty free limits policed

Post by Techland » July 26, 2014, 9:50 am

The main problem with this is: enforcing it right to the letters would cause major problems and a very negative image of Thailand quickly. Simply because customs can not differ between personal items and 'things bought overseas' with this simplified order. I come with iPhone, iPad and notebook. This alone by far exceeds 10,000 Baht. The official way is to register these goods at the oversea customs, then when arriving in BKK to register them as items that will return on departure, then on departure clear the record, then overseas show the first register to not get problems when entering your home country.

Nobody does it like that, nowhere in the world, and therefore nobody at customs makes a problem out of it. Except when the thai blokes now would start to be 'absolutely strict' about it.

That said I also saw no serious inspections lately at BKK. So far no change except that they have new videos in the plane pointing out these new strict rules with the above scary simplified way.

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

duty free limits policed

Post by Asiaphile » July 26, 2014, 10:22 am

From The Bangkok Post of 4th July 2014:
The Customs Department's working committee will ask newly appointed director-general Somchai Sujjapongse to raise the duty-free limit on new personal items bought abroad from 10,000 at present, said a source at the Department.
The proposed new limit is in the range of 80,000 to 100,000 baht, the source said, adding that the current duty-free limit is too low and not in line with economic circumstances.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/new ... estriction

Techland
udonmap.com

duty free limits policed

Post by Techland » July 27, 2014, 8:57 pm

-----------
For example, the department will amend the law to allow courts to use their discretion to fine operators failing to declare goods up to four times the value of the items to help those who did not deliberately underestimate the goods' value to avoid paying tax. At present, those failing to declare goods are subject to a fine equal to four times the value of the goods.
-----------

Ok, I'm not a native speaker. Why didn't I get the point?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”