Alcohol sales and advertising laws

General Udon Thani topics only!
Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » September 15, 2014, 5:57 pm

Good afternoon one and all

Heads up for all engaged in the sale of alcohol

Just come back from the Department of Health who confirm that the Alcohol Control Act of 2008 and the Ministerial Regulation which followed it in 2010 must be adhered too.

It should therefore be noted that anything which promotes the sale of alcohol whether it be advertising on ashtrays, beer logos on staff T-shirts or promotion through beer sales girls, happy hours, buy one/get one free, free mixers as well as offering free beer for any reason etc etc is strictly against the law and offenders may be prosecuted accordingly.

It would also appear that the sale of alcohol after midnight is forbidden.

Quite obviously there is a lot more to this so to be quite sure, anyone wishing to learn more would be well advised to consult the relevant Act and Regulations and if still in any doubt consult either a lawyer or the relevant government office.

Fuzzyken

captainahab
udonmap.com

Post by captainahab » September 15, 2014, 6:24 pm

You need to stay awake and keep up, Fuzzy.

This has been a topic on the forum since August 26th.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 15, 2014, 6:51 pm

Indeed it has Captain ....... There was an UMap and a more in depth Thai Visa forum thread pertaining to this issue a couple of weeks ago Ken , i followed it up through the local authorities and also in Bkk via the importers subsequently i was informed it was best if i changed the decals on our delivery truck and be careful how the front face of our shop advertised our products , no alcohol logos no use of the word beer (must be beverages) , internally AC premises are different to open to view from the street locations with regard to showing logos etc .Luckily just came at the right time before we manufactured our signage etc ,,, most other facets within the laws ( if enforced) appear workable .

I was also informed many of the new / old 2088/2010 laws are impossible / very difficult to enforce thus leaving it wide open to exploitation and tea money trailblazers IMO ....

Hey its fun havin a business here isnt Ken :roll: :shock: :confused: !!??

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

reddevil
udonmap.com

Post by reddevil » September 15, 2014, 6:56 pm

Heads up the new Buri ram international race circuit is now re named the Chang international race circuit last weekend and there are chang logos every were so it seams you can promote if you have a sxxx load of money.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 15, 2014, 7:06 pm

I was talking to a mate in Bkk who said Blend had just taken delivery of 30 brand new 18 wheelers all fully loaded with the Blend logo , also football team sponsorship and the many Thai Muay Thai boxing stadiums nationwide operated by ... Singha must come under scrutiny .. i googled the new Buriram race circuit and no doubt its sponsored by Chang ,, logos and other stuff all over the place , tho i dont think the re incarnated laws will make one jot of difference to them .

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 15, 2014, 7:09 pm

Have Singha taken down that bloomin great sign next to the main road between Saraburi & Pakchong yet?

Have they renamed Singha Park Golf course yet?

Perhaps Jan should have renamed his bar "a beverage too far" in 2010 :-k

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 15, 2014, 7:19 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Have Singha taken down that bloomin great sign next to the main road between Saraburi & Pakchong yet?

Have they renamed Singha Park Golf course yet?

Perhaps Jan should have renamed his bar "a beverage too far" in 2010 :-k
No they havent Statts ,,always makes me chuckle every time i pass it ... gotta be the biggest ad sign ive ever seen , between 1 to 40 bt per square inch i believe is the sign tax nowadays depending who you are .

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » September 16, 2014, 6:43 am

Presumably the establishment in ud town will have to be renamed The beverage society :-k

Been reading archive forums about the laws when first were requested back in October 2006 taking until 2008 to be the law. 8)

Deacz9
udonmap.com

Post by Deacz9 » September 16, 2014, 10:34 am

So Tawandang will have to stop serving alcohol at midnight? I think not , as I am told by the locals, the people or person who owns this have more power than the police or military, maybe more than GOD? :-k Probably the same for UD town but we shall see what happens!

retired
udonmap.com

Post by retired » September 16, 2014, 10:42 am

Deacz9 wrote:So Tawandang will have to stop serving alcohol at midnight? I think not , as I am told by the locals, the people or person who owns this have more power than the police or military, maybe more than GOD? :-k Probably the same for UD town but we shall see what happens!
Its probably because they have a license to serve late, a bar owner in Nutty Park asked the army why they now had to close at midnite and was told thats what your license dictates, if you want to stay open longer apply for the appropriate license!

Deacz9
udonmap.com

Post by Deacz9 » September 16, 2014, 1:14 pm

Other than a one night birthday party, your chances of getting a late licence would be 0%! Unless you have the same power as God or maybe alot of money to donate! I don't think Nutty Pk bar owners would qualify for either :(

retired
udonmap.com

Post by retired » September 16, 2014, 4:32 pm

Deacz9 wrote:Other than a one night birthday party, your chances of getting a late licence would be 0%! Unless you have the same power as God or maybe alot of money to donate! I don't think Nutty Pk bar owners would qualify for either :(
I agree, the point I was trying to make is that the late night Discos probably have a later license.
The majority of bars are empty for most of the evening why would they want to stay open into the small hours to attract one or two late night drinkers, the costs would over ride any possible profit.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 23, 2014, 6:29 pm

Just back from a quick trip to the metropolis and an update on the enforcement or other regarding the Alcohol advertising laws from 08/2010 .

Not gonna go into great detail reference the situation with the do's n dont's in bars inc opening times etc as all that seems up in the air still ...however it does seem that the big Thai players are now changing some of their ways to fall within the laws ... spoke with a couple of officials and guys from both Archa and Leo who informed all their ads from now on would be carrying a health warning .. all the company delivery trucks from pick up to 18 wheelers now sporting some rather strange warnings at the top of and above the logos , also the huge signs seen on the highways are now being modified .

Here just 4 we spotted , there are numerous others as it seems you can make up your own warning ...TIT ...so look out for the large delivery trucks with the big black and white writing across the top .

Translated by Dao

Alcohol can cause sickness and death
Alcohol causes accident on the road and murder :shock:
Alcohol can make you feel sick and do things not normal (like getting married ?? i added that sorry)
Alcohol drinking can cause fighting and violence

One iv thought of
Alcohol is bad for Man U fans as can lead to depression and suicide :shock:

DM

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”