Farang Husband in Issan

General Udon Thani topics only!
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Farang Husband in Issan

Post by jackspratt » October 23, 2014, 8:50 pm

wazza wrote: Govt departments on record asking for a return to democratic government as millions are boycotting Thailand due to the Junta.
I didn't think we were allowed to talk about those sorts of things - which is why I took voluntary leave. :-#

wazza
udonmap.com

Farang Husband in Issan

Post by wazza » October 23, 2014, 9:07 pm

Jack. Its published in The Nation last week. On public record

bumper
udonmap.com

Farang Husband in Issan

Post by bumper » October 24, 2014, 11:22 am

jackspratt wrote:In a micro-economic sense, "we" are probably of some importance in the Issan region.

In a macro sense, I suspect we are a fly on the arrse of the elephant that is Thailand.

To give some perspective, even using the figures quoted in the OP, 9 billion baht is approximately 0.08% of Thailand's GDP (US$390 billion).

:-k
I would imagine if we were making a difference in Bangkok things may be different. Going on strike you can hurt the Issan economy all you won't, they really don't care. You hurt the Tourist area wh3re the big money is invested then someone might care.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Farang Husband in Issan

Post by rickfarang » October 27, 2014, 1:41 am

Yep, Jackspratt, we love to over-estimate out importance to Thailand.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Farang Husband in Issan

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 27, 2014, 1:58 am

jackspratt wrote:I didn't think we were allowed to talk about those sorts of things - which is why I took voluntary leave. :-#
The posters on TV are getting quite feisty toward some of the articles printed in the Nation. So, maybe the worm is turning somewhat.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

GT93
udonmap.com

Farang Husband in Issan

Post by GT93 » October 27, 2014, 3:59 am

I agree farang like to over-estimate our importance to Thailand. In the big picture the high fives for Thailand's success belong to the Thais. They work hard and they work cleverly. So they are becoming wealthier. That's a red rag. :D
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

lovetheDuc

Farang Husband in Issan

Post by lovetheDuc » October 27, 2014, 4:29 am

GT93 wrote:I agree farang like to over-estimate our importance to Thailand. In the big picture the high fives for Thailand's success belong to the Thais. They work hard and they work cleverly. So they are becoming wealthier. That's a red rag. :D
Lol Thais work hard hahahahahaha. Without tourism and cheap labour from Cambodia and Myanmar they'd still be living in grass huts

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Farang Husband in Issan

Post by FrazeeDK » October 27, 2014, 8:24 am

nothing's changed with regards to our overestimating our worth to the local economy.. As the Vietnam War wound down starting in early 73 and U.S. forces slowly downsized at Thai bases, lots of the GI's said, "oh, the Thai economy will collapse once we're gone." It didn't, the Thais survived... As for the tourism thing, depending upon what you read that contributes 6-10% of the GDP.. Agriculture and Industry are the top two GDP drivers and that should get bigger under AEC if things go as planned (I'm betting they won't!)...
Dave

wazza
udonmap.com

Farang Husband in Issan

Post by wazza » October 27, 2014, 8:58 am

I read recently Tourism was 1% of GDP.

The 20% drop in tourist arrivals in the last 6 months was one of the reasons cited for the Thai economy dropping into a recession.

bumper
udonmap.com

Farang Husband in Issan

Post by bumper » October 27, 2014, 9:52 am

That was just an easy label far more complicated then that. You really want to know here the majority of the money comes from Review the Thai SET There is a lot of industry here. S Do we make a difference in Issan probably. But that may change in the future with industry coming this way. They hire outside labor not be cause they are more productive, they simply pay them less.

There are some very wealthy Thais in Issan that is not from taking advantage of us it comes from taking advantage, of other Thai's. The money chain of graft is not from we pay. The Thai's have pad the majority.

There are still people lici9ng in grass huts, that doesn't mean they don't work when they have something to do. Go plant or harvest rice with them once you will get the picture.

The seem to work in a far different manner when they work for Thai's then do us. That could be because they are not stupid :lol: :lol:
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Farang Husband in Issan

Post by thaiguzzi » October 27, 2014, 9:53 am

lovetheDuc wrote:
GT93 wrote:I agree farang like to over-estimate our importance to Thailand. In the big picture the high fives for Thailand's success belong to the Thais. They work hard and they work cleverly. So they are becoming wealthier. That's a red rag. :D
Lol Thais work hard hahahahahaha. Without tourism and cheap labour from Cambodia and Myanmar they'd still be living in grass huts
Clueless ######.

GT93
udonmap.com

Farang Husband in Issan

Post by GT93 » October 27, 2014, 10:22 am

Well lovetheduc, if you know a Thai university graduate working in Bangkok, I think you'll find she is likely to be working Saturdays. My oldest step-daughter has recently changed jobs in Bangkok. She now just has to work 5 days a week plus 2 Saturdays a month. Yippee. :D

If you work as a hairdresser in Udon you might have no days off a month other than than the public holidays. Come on man, learn more about Thailand.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

reddevil
udonmap.com

Farang Husband in Issan

Post by reddevil » October 27, 2014, 10:40 am

thaiguzzi wrote:
lovetheDuc wrote:
Clueless ######.
I second that to many Clueless tossers on here.

lovetheDuc

Farang Husband in Issan

Post by lovetheDuc » October 27, 2014, 11:26 am

[quote="GT93"]Well lovetheduc, if you know a Thai university graduate working in Bangkok, I think you'll find she is likely to be working Saturdays. My oldest step-daughter has recently changed jobs in Bangkok. She now just has to work 5 days a week plus 2 Saturdays a month. Yippee. :D
Going to work and working hard are two completely different things. Most of Thailands industries that involve any kind of hard work like manufacturing, the fishing industry and even tourism (cleaners etc.) are dependent on cheap foreign labour from Cambodia Laos and Myanmar. I won't deny that the older generation of Thais are hard workers but most of the under 40's couldn't work in an iron lung of course there is some exceptions. Anyone that thinks Thais work "hard and cleverly" is delusional.
I

lovetheDuc

Farang Husband in Issan

Post by lovetheDuc » October 27, 2014, 11:50 am

thaiguzzi wrote:
lovetheDuc wrote:
Clueless ######.
The biggest tossers on any forum are the ones that resort to insults when somebody has a different opinion to them.

reddevil
udonmap.com

Farang Husband in Issan

Post by reddevil » October 27, 2014, 11:55 am

[-X
lovetheDuc wrote:
GT93 wrote:Well lovetheduc, if you know a Thai university graduate working in Bangkok, I think you'll find she is likely to be working Saturdays. My oldest step-daughter has recently changed jobs in Bangkok. She now just has to work 5 days a week plus 2 Saturdays a month. Yippee. :D
Going to work and working hard are two completely different things. Most of Thailands industries that involve any kind of hard work like manufacturing, the fishing industry and even tourism (cleaners etc.) are dependent on cheap foreign labour from Cambodia Laos and Myanmar. I won't deny that the older generation of Thais are hard workers but most of the under 40's couldn't work in an iron lung of course there is some exceptions. Anyone that thinks Thais work "hard and cleverly" is delusional.
I

weasel
udonmap.com

Farang Husband in Issan

Post by weasel » October 27, 2014, 11:59 am

All, we have just started a heavy industry manufacturing business here in Rayong, we have 94 Thai workers and no "cheap" foreign labour. Over the last 6 months we have seen how proactive, engaged and hard working Thai people can be. They are typically less than 40 years old and we have a mix of male and female employees. We are very pleased with the quality and application of our labour and they positive can do attitude displayed from the Thai management,. We have a UK General Manager in the short term.

These are FACTS and I am happy to discuss with any members if they so wish in a PM. It is disappointing to see so many negative views, hope this can highlight the positives.

Weasel

wazza
udonmap.com

Farang Husband in Issan

Post by wazza » October 27, 2014, 12:15 pm

Maybe those who are critical of the Thai work ethic should use a mirror first.

Yes many government job for life positions may not get good productivity but its their business plan middle managers and above allow.

Dont get customer service mixed up with work / productivity issues.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Farang Husband in Issan

Post by FrazeeDK » October 27, 2014, 12:38 pm

weasel.. sounds like you probably have a proactive leadership/management style and develop/mentor your employees.. That is not a normal Thai business practice.. You get productivity out of employees through good management, decent pay, and comfortable working conditions.. I'll wager you've probably got a number of transplanted Issan folk working down there who started life in a farming family.. They're rising middle class now and undoubtedly have no desire to get mud between their toes any more.
Dave

glalt
udonmap.com

Farang Husband in Issan

Post by glalt » October 27, 2014, 4:44 pm

This thread has given me food for thought. I have been thinking about all the farang expats I know. I find that they are fairly evenly split as to the guys who are financially fairly well off and those who survive on a shoestring and probably shouldn't even be here. Our value to the Thai economy is mostly overstated.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”