Cheap Charlies.

General Udon Thani topics only!
Aardvark
udonmap.com

Cheap Charlies.

Post by Aardvark » November 9, 2014, 2:38 pm

As it's not fare to use a sponsors thread to attack Cheap Charlies, and there seems to be a difference of opinion on the subject I thought I'd start this thread. Some people don't seem to have a problem going to a Bar and being hassled for a drink by the Girls. Personally while I'm not a Cheap Charlie I see no point in spending my hard earned on waiting staff or Bar Girls. For those who enjoy blowing a couple of thousand baht trying to impress said staff, good luck to you ....

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Cheap Charlies.

Post by jackspratt » November 9, 2014, 2:51 pm

The way I read the 7 Stars thread Aardy, it was the cheap charlies attacking those who had the gall to spend their money as they saw fit. :shock:

Perhaps the Mods/Admin should move those posts from the 7 Stars thread onto here - it would certainly liven things up. :D

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Cheap Charlies.

Post by stattointhailand » November 9, 2014, 3:19 pm

Perhaps you should have called this thread Cheap Charlie's v Show off Sid's Aardy :lol:

BossHogg69
udonmap.com

Cheap Charlies.

Post by BossHogg69 » November 9, 2014, 4:04 pm

Aardvark wrote:As it's not fare to use a sponsors thread to attack Cheap Charlies, and there seems to be a difference of opinion on the subject I thought I'd start this thread. Some people don't seem to have a problem going to a Bar and being hassled for a drink by the Girls. Personally while I'm not a Cheap Charlie I see no point in spending my hard earned on waiting staff or Bar Girls. For those who enjoy blowing a couple of thousand baht trying to impress said staff, good luck to you ....
You do not understand having a good time out, you have certainly missed something in life, it is all good fun and I can afford to enjoy myself how I please, and I really do enjoy my self!!!!!!! a few 1000 so what, what a nice evening.

glalt
udonmap.com

Cheap Charlies.

Post by glalt » November 9, 2014, 4:42 pm

I'm always a bit surprised that there are people who object to how others spend their money. I'm not a bell ringer but I do occasionally buy a few lady drinks when I feel like it. Ladies asking for lady drinks don't do well as far as I am concerned. Asking me to buy them a drink results in other more polite ladies getting drinks and the lady asking gets ignored.

In any case, it's my money and I'll spend it any way I want.

BossHogg69
udonmap.com

Cheap Charlies.

Post by BossHogg69 » November 9, 2014, 4:44 pm

Well said Garry.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Cheap Charlies.

Post by trubrit » November 9, 2014, 4:51 pm

My bar going days are long gone but when I used to,if I saw a girl that caught my eye, I called her over and told her I don't buy girl drinks so don't ask, However I always tucked a 100bht in her cleavage and they seemed to enjoy that, staying and taking care for as long as I wanted .My objection wasn't the money but giving it to the bar owner. :-"
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Cheap Charlies.

Post by stattointhailand » November 9, 2014, 5:18 pm

trubrit wrote:My bar going days are long gone but when I used to,if I saw a girl that caught my eye, I called her over and told her I don't buy girl drinks so don't ask, However I always tucked a 100bht in her cleavage and they seemed to enjoy that, staying and taking care for as long as I wanted .My objection wasn't the money but giving it to the bar owner. :-"
Can't argue with that TB, and pretty close to what I posted on the other thread .....

"Never ever purchased a "lady drink" in Thailand =;

If a beer costs B55, that is the cost, B55 NOT B100 coz it's for a member of staff. (Expats get angry about Thai "double pricing" and then let farang bar owners do exactly the same thing without a complaint [-X )

If the member of staff has done a good job, she will receive a tip in her hand in addition to the tip for the bar. Let her decide if she wants to spend her money on alcohol or her family/children etc etc"

I think you got the best deal with the tip placement though :lol:

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Cheap Charlies.

Post by marjamlew » November 9, 2014, 5:27 pm

I used to hear the echos of farang key nok and farang key niow in the air often when me and me mates were out on the tear in Udon in the deep, distant past. The days when the only place to buy a ladies drink was Harry's until the Aussie Bar hit Soi Farang if memory serves me correct. I never thought of meself as a cheap charlie but as someone who lived within his means as I was a lowly local English teacher among the well off expats, retirees and FIFO fellas who made up our little community way back then. I'm sure we were labelled as CC's by the girls at tongs and mambos because we didn't throw money at them as good farang are supposed to do.
A band of Sangsom was 120B (plus another 80b to 100b for coke - ice was complimentry) at Steve's Bar which pretty well kicked off every night out. Then between the 3 or 4 people going out it would be a bottle of Santori whisky from 7-11 (250 - 300b?? plus mixers and ice 400B) that would generally see us through Mr Tongs, Mambo and Bok Sip til the wee hours. So with a packet of durries we are looking at between 400b and 500b for a fairly large night out.
Now when I have me annual holiday in Udon and Patts it's different. I only have 20 odds nights to make the most of it and have fun. I only go to Tui's bar in Udon and have no problem buying a few drinks for those who I have known since the old days and those who the Mrs and I have befriended since we have come to Udon together. I still have a band of Sangsom but my bin is generally three or four times what is was in the old days because I now have a good heart (hahaha). But I have a really great time talking, singing, (dancing??) and carrying on and it's great not to have to count the satang as I go.
If and when we retire back in Udon I am sure I will adjust again and revert back to the CC status.
Each to their own I reckon.
Watch Me!!

fatbob
udonmap.com

Cheap Charlies.

Post by fatbob » November 9, 2014, 5:36 pm

Aardvark wrote: by Aardvark » November 9, 2014, 2:38 pm

As it's not fare to use a sponsors thread to attack Cheap Charlies, and there seems to be a difference of opinion on the subject I thought I'd start this thread. Some people don't seem to have a problem going to a Bar and being hassled for a drink by the Girls. Personally while I'm not a Cheap Charlie I see no point in spending my hard earned on waiting staff or Bar Girls. For those who enjoy blowing a couple of thousand baht trying to impress said staff, good luck to you ....
I think your missing the point the same as Dezzer. You say for those blowing a couple of thousand baht trying to impress staff, no where in that thread did anyone say that, Dezzer presumed that as you now are, a couple of thousand baht is one hell of a lot of lady drinks, if I'm enjoying someone's company I will buy a few but that depends on the circumstances at the time, I certainly on the rare occasions I get to run amok don't sit there counting my money, it's Dezzer trying to put people into boxes and his Udon doesn't need people like you comments that makes me think he has the personality of a boot, is he your mate?

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Cheap Charlies.

Post by bigsnake » November 9, 2014, 6:43 pm

AS the saying goes "A FOOL and his MONEY will soon PART! On the other hand if one has a few extra baht and enjoy the company of the lady/ladies when go for it<>only you know what you can AFFORD!

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Cheap Charlies.

Post by merchant seaman » November 9, 2014, 7:13 pm

If one doesn't want to buy ladies drinks why would one go into a "buy me drinkie bar"? Go to a bar with no hostess's, problem solved.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

glalt
udonmap.com

Cheap Charlies.

Post by glalt » November 9, 2014, 9:07 pm

A bar without some eye candy is of no interest to me. Might as well sit in front of a 7-11 or drink at home.

dezzer
udonmap.com

Cheap Charlies.

Post by dezzer » November 9, 2014, 9:25 pm

Coxo I reiterate Udon doesn't need people like you,spouting on about zilch wise up fella.
You'll Never Walk Alone L.F.C.

vlad
udonmap.com

Cheap Charlies.

Post by vlad » November 10, 2014, 2:51 am

Don't know how to post vids but look up the Cheap Charlie song if nowt else will give you a good laugh.

Jello
udonmap.com

Cheap Charlies.

Post by Jello » November 10, 2014, 10:03 am

Aardvark wrote: For those who enjoy blowing a couple of thousand baht trying to impress said staff, good luck to you ....
Who are you trying to impress with this stupid thread? Other judgmental pricks? Maybe you guys can get together and massage each other while discussing how total strangers should spend their money.

jackspratt wrote: Perhaps the Mods/Admin should
As much as you like to tell the mods what to do, perhaps you should contact the owner of udonmap and offer to pay him to let you be one.
trubrit wrote:I always tucked a 100bht in her cleavage.
My objection wasn't the money but giving it to the bar owner.
News flash- Buy a drink or stick the cash in her undies, the owner will still get a cut no matter what.
Thai logic: you would not have the tip if the bar didn't exist.

For the guy who's been on here for over 6 years, has over 770 posts and still can't figure out how to post a video, ... here:

Pay attention cheap charlies! :lol:
UFF DA!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Cheap Charlies.

Post by jackspratt » November 10, 2014, 10:12 am

Fall out of bed on the wrong side this morning, Jello? ;)

Jello
udonmap.com

Cheap Charlies.

Post by Jello » November 10, 2014, 10:16 am

jackspratt wrote:Fall out of bed on the wrong side this morning, Jello? ;)
Yeah, and there's no coffee in the house!!!
:lol:
UFF DA!

goshawk
udonmap.com

Cheap Charlies.

Post by goshawk » November 10, 2014, 10:21 am

TOP TIP FOR CHEAP CHARLIES: Go to Tesco/Lotus Take one grape to the till. It won't register on the low-tech, insensitive scales so you will get it for free. Repeat this procedure 100 times or so and you have yourself a free bunch of grapes.

goshawk
udonmap.com

Cheap Charlies.

Post by goshawk » November 10, 2014, 10:25 am

TOP TIP FOR CHEAP CHARLIE CYCLISTS: Save paying for expensive saddles and avoid getting a sore behind by simply placing a naan bread over your saddle. This will comfort your ride and when you return home, hey presto! A warm snack.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”