Traffic Cameras

General Udon Thani topics only!
parrot
udonmap.com

Traffic Cameras

Post by parrot » January 27, 2015, 2:19 pm

On the way into town today, a technician was installing new cameras at the ring road/airport intersection. Will they be used solely for post-accident checking........or might they be the more sophisticated ones that take a photo of violators??

On the way back from Khonkaen yesterday, I noticed two police on the side of the road (about 30km apart) using radar guns. I expected to see a police stop a km or two ahead, but in both cases, nothing. That left me to wondering if the police are taking radar shots and photos of the license plates.....to mail you a ticket if you're in violation. Anybody??
Attachments
20150127_110751.jpg

samuel
udonmap.com

Traffic Cameras

Post by samuel » January 27, 2015, 3:35 pm

parrot wrote:Will they be used solely for post-accident checking........
As far as i am informed, opening a traffic camera for post accident checking purpose is a hard thing in Udon Thani.
You'll need a lawyer and the procedure will be quite expensive.
That's how my farang friend was informed by the police on the occasion of his latest scooter accident.
So he left the traffic camera closed and paid in cash....

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Traffic Cameras

Post by jackspratt » January 27, 2015, 4:34 pm

parrot wrote: On the way back from Khonkaen yesterday, I noticed two police on the side of the road (about 30km apart) using radar guns. I expected to see a police stop a km or two ahead, but in both cases, nothing. That left me to wondering if the police are taking radar shots and photos of the license plates.....to mail you a ticket if you're in violation. Anybody??
Could they have been Point-to-Point cameras, parrrot ie where they measure your average speed over a set distance?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Traffic Cameras

Post by stattointhailand » January 27, 2015, 4:38 pm

"That left me to wondering if the police are taking radar shots and photos of the license plates.....to mail you a ticket if you're in violation."

You have to be joking don't you parrot =;

Where's the tea money in that? :evil:

BossHogg69
udonmap.com

Traffic Cameras

Post by BossHogg69 » January 27, 2015, 4:47 pm

Yes they are, and have been for several months.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Traffic Cameras

Post by jackspratt » January 27, 2015, 4:59 pm

This may be interest to some:

http://www.itsinternational.com/categor ... cognition/

I have also seen camera set-ups similar to this in a couple (at least) places on the Udon- Korat section of Hwy 2:

:-k

fatbob
udonmap.com

Traffic Cameras

Post by fatbob » January 27, 2015, 7:03 pm

They got me outside Suraburi last week heading to Bangkok on a down hill section, fixed mounted cameras with the boys waiting a kilometer away, 400 baht.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Traffic Cameras

Post by FrazeeDK » January 27, 2015, 7:54 pm

The word is that the Department of Land Transport and the Traffic Enforcement are trying to set things up for "E-Ticketing".. When someone is snapped running a red light, or speeding, or any other infraction, they are either stopped and a citation issued or the final fine will be waiting when the person goes to pay their Vehicle Tax and get their new tax sticker for their vehicle.. No pay, no issuing of the new tax stamp.. How could the police leverage this?? Well, moving violation fines belong to the police. I would imagine that there will be a visit to each Land Transport Tax office on a daily basis for the police to collect the paid traffic fines.. Oh, BTW, Land Transport when notified of these moving violations will assess "points" on a person's license.. When a prescribed number of points are reached annually, a person's license can be suspended or revoked.. When will all this happen?? I have no idea...
Dave

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Traffic Cameras

Post by jackspratt » January 27, 2015, 8:06 pm

coxo wrote:They got me outside Suraburi last week heading to Bangkok on a down hill section, fixed mounted cameras with the boys waiting a kilometer away, 400 baht.
The saving grace, of course, is if it had happened in Oz it would have been $400. :shock:

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Traffic Cameras

Post by Khun Paul » January 28, 2015, 2:58 pm

False plates or old ones long expired springs to mind, as it happened in the UK, now the cameras can even identify the person driving, not so here I fear, just the number plate, so be careful your plate can and could be copied.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”