Attention Udon Cyclists

General Udon Thani topics only!
fdimike
udonmap.com

Attention Udon Cyclists

Post by fdimike » February 24, 2015, 10:27 am

There will be a meeting of all Udon Thani cyclists tonight at 5:30PM in the parking lot alongside MacDonalds in UD Town to publicly express our condolences to the family of the Chilean cyclist recently killed on highway 2 between Khon Kaen and Korat. There is also a move afoot to possibly organize some sort of group ride to the funeral which is not expected for another week according to the Chilean Embassy this morning.

Hopefully the organizers of this meeting will also ask government/police officials to attend to raise awarenees of the dangers presented by Thai drivers who are constantly and flagrantly ignoring the traffic rules.

An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Attention Udon Cyclists

Post by jackspratt » February 24, 2015, 10:36 am

Good luck with the meeting mike - hope it goes well. =D>

And best wishes from the Ban Dung cyclists.

As for the last bit - the police and awareness - a bridge too far I suspect. :(

fdimike
udonmap.com

Attention Udon Cyclists

Post by fdimike » February 24, 2015, 10:50 am

Thanks Jack. I'm not the one organizing this meeting just the messenger. I know what you mean about the lack of concern by the Thai cops. Maybe just maybe this guys death will catch the govt's eye in light of its current push to increase cycling and get them to light a fire under the police who right now do just about nothing about traffic violators.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Attention Udon Cyclists

Post by merchant seaman » February 24, 2015, 11:08 am

Does this violate the gathering of 5 or more people?
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

akwoodworker
udonmap.com

Attention Udon Cyclists

Post by akwoodworker » February 24, 2015, 8:37 pm

It was a nice gathering to pay respects, about 150 I would guess.

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Attention Udon Cyclists

Post by bigsnake » February 24, 2015, 9:34 pm

RIP to the Cyclist! Guess safety in Numbers with all the Crazy Drivers on the Road<>maybe just maybe they see many Cyclists they will Slow Down.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Attention Udon Cyclists

Post by stattointhailand » February 24, 2015, 11:30 pm

RIP to this guy who I suspect knew what he was doing on a cycle, but as far as the t*ssers on bikes going up and down the Nong Khai road at one of the busiest times of day ...... they are nothing short of a menace, and I'm really surprised that half of them are still alive [-X
Just because they have their lycra shirts & Shorts, their cycling helmet and their "racing" bike (with flashing rear light), they think they can do what they want on the road.
If any of you guys who ride bikes know these individuals (they appear to be mainly Thai and Tuesday evening seems to be their fav time), would you please please ask them, for their own good, to stick to side roads until they gain the ability and experience to ride in traffic.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Attention Udon Cyclists

Post by fdimike » February 25, 2015, 5:31 am

I have no idea what you're talking about. All the cyclists I know ride in the bike lane unless we encounter an idiot Thai driving on the wrong side of the road because he/she is too damned lazy to drive correctly. You're catgorization of cyclists being a menace leads me to believe that you are not helping matters any and are a part of the problem. Vehicle operators need to be aware that they are not the only ones entitled to be on the road. What is it exactly that they are doing on the road for you to label them as a menace?

akwoodworker
udonmap.com

Attention Udon Cyclists

Post by akwoodworker » February 25, 2015, 6:21 am

Although busy the Nong Khai hiway has very wide shoulders so except for the drivers on the wrong side of the road or vehicles being scared to park off the road ( sitting over the line in traffic) it is a safe but noisy road.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Attention Udon Cyclists

Post by BobHelm » February 25, 2015, 8:36 am

It (cycling) appears to be a dangerous undertaking even in somewhere like London where the City has gone to great expense to encourage it & make it safe...
London cyclists in 23,000 accidents over five years
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-31612253
There were 22,988 accidents and 80 deaths involving cyclists in London over five-years, according to Department for Transport (DfT) figures.

Elephant and Castle roundabout in south London was the worst accident blackspot with 80 accidents involving cyclists between 2009 and 2013.

DfT figures analysed by insurers Aviva showed cycling accidents within the M25 reported to or attended by police.

The London mayor and Transport for London have yet to respond the figures.

In March 2014, the London mayor's office announced a £4bn plan to revamp London's roads, including a new road layout, with more cycle lanes at Elephant and Castle roundabout.

akwoodworker
udonmap.com

Attention Udon Cyclists

Post by akwoodworker » February 25, 2015, 9:01 am

As a cyclist I swear that sitting behind a wheel in a car drops a persons intelligence significantly. Once I made eye contact at a intersection, in Fairbanks, Alaska, and still the driver drove through the red and knocked me about ten feet. So here where drivers are way less skilled the risk factor is much higher.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Attention Udon Cyclists

Post by Zidane » February 25, 2015, 9:05 am

Glad there was a good turn out for the Chilean cyclist in UD Town last night.
Hope many can make it to his funeral in Khon Kaen.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Attention Udon Cyclists

Post by fdimike » February 25, 2015, 9:53 am

There are a number of people interested in attending the funeral. However, the temple where he is to be cremated is about 150-190kms from here so transportation is an issue. A friend of mine spoke with the Chilean Embassy yesterday and was told they were waiting for permission from the family in Chile to move the body and would also wait for his wife (widow) to be released from the hospital which is expected in a week +/- . I spoke with Peter from the bike shop at the 5 way intersection downtown last night and he asked me to draft up some sort of proposal for the trip utilizing several options. At this point in time I am considering the following options. However, I am open to all suggestions:

1. Cycling from here to the temple (I suspect a 2 day ride down notorious highway 2)

2. Cycling from here to the temple via the secondary roads (I suspect a leisurely 3+ day trip)

3. Taking the train from here to Khon Kaen or ?? and cycling from there to the temple. Peter told me he has taken the train from Nong Khai to UT and it was very comfortable since they added the bicycle car.

4. Trucking it with the bikes in the rear to a place about 10kms from the temple and cycling from there.

I thought about using the bus but it may be hit and miss depending on the bus and available space. Many buses have limited cargo space since they used the area for their LPG/NG tanks.

Suggestions and offers to help organize this trip would be greatly appreciated.

If there is sufficient interest we may be able to rent an entire bus. However, I don't have the faintest idea as to cost.

Peter may be willing to support the group with his truck assuming we pay for the fuel. I'll need to speak with him about the possibility.

parrot
udonmap.com

Attention Udon Cyclists

Post by parrot » February 25, 2015, 4:38 pm

Udon's facebook page has a good write-up on the meeting at McD last night....along with a few photos.

The visible words on the poster.....อาลัยยิ่ง = With Deepest Sympathy

https://www.facebook.com/UdonNews.III
Attachments
11021130_440522102766850_280188320106248568_n.jpg
11008403_440522226100171_5200012979117140887_n.jpg

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”