Corruptions at Immigration? or What?

General Udon Thani topics only!
bigsnake
udonmap.com

Post by bigsnake » April 9, 2015, 3:43 pm

For the Past seven years with over 800,000 baht in the bank, letter from the bank sign same day, direction to home, copy of bank book and other info they request I had been able to get the one year retirement visa approve on the SPOT<>this year NOPE sorry new law must go to Bangkok for approval, see you again 1 May<>is what they said and that I do NOT mind doing, HOWEVER to my dismay I learn through casual conversation from three other Expats their one year was approve on the Spot<>same day with the aid of 2000, 1500 and 3500 bt<>hmmmmm corruptions or what? Oh! well this is Thailand(tit) No REFORM for Expats. :(

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 9, 2015, 3:48 pm

This has been discussed at length here,,,
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/r ... 83-75.html

To be honest if they give you the visa when you return in 'x' days for the stated fee I can't see much about corruption being involved.
Getting documentation exactly when YOU want it has often involved an express service fee when dealing with Thai Government Departments.

The same is exactly true of the UK Government..
Want a new passport today, pay a higher price than if you get one in 3 weeks time.. Up to the individual concerned...

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 9, 2015, 4:02 pm

It is not corruption if an offical receipt is given
Especially if just given not asked for

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » April 9, 2015, 4:30 pm

My friend went for new Retire Visa Udon last week.
He was charged 3,500!Was told new fee! .... no receipt!
His wife said "Ah well" never mind! :shock:
Mai mee tahng !

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » April 9, 2015, 4:32 pm

Yeah paid the extra fee also,saved one quality page in my passport without the new consideration stamp,marvellous :lol:

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 9, 2015, 4:42 pm

If this nonsense is still going on in late December 2015 when my next renewal is due I guarantee you all I will not enter that office without an official from the "Anti Corruption Commission" in tow to witness the whole transaction.

Enough is enough --- OK I paid 1000 Baht, BUT 3500 = NEVER!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tataw
udonmap.com

Post by tataw » April 9, 2015, 5:29 pm

Begs the question why it can be done in Nong Khai and Chon Buri on the same day with no "extra" fee incurred?

plumbers
udonmap.com

Post by plumbers » April 9, 2015, 5:45 pm

Thai immigrtion see expats as a way of making easy money , stupid farang take it on the chin or go home.
I have lived here for five years and enjoyed every day but i will never commit my self.
Once you pay for the so called express service they realise they are onto a winner and then try and think up another scam to extract money from us . Corruption is just a way of life here i let it go over my head and come back a month later for my visa.

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » April 9, 2015, 9:29 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:....I guarantee you all I will not enter that office without an official from the "Anti Corruption Commission" in tow to witness the whole transaction....
you will either become the "Bandung_Hero" or the "Bandung_Zero".
can't wait to read from you when judgement day has finally come....
;)

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » April 9, 2015, 9:58 pm

did mine about 2 weeks ago.............2000 baht and have to wait 1 month for approval.

all paperwork in order.........so the real question has anyone that waited a month not get approved???
or for that matter got charge any additional fee to get there passport/visa approved after the months wait???

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 9, 2015, 11:01 pm

summary from me

Receipt given, - above the law

No receipt or no refund for change etc, suspect transaction.

What im reading is it changes from Day to Day, is the BIG Boss in or out and Privy to the Divvy

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 10, 2015, 6:27 am

I'm sure the Udon Immigration Officers must be 'rolling in the aisles' at some of the things applicants allow them to get away with. 3,500 baht and no receipt! Wakey, wakey.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 10, 2015, 6:56 am

Brian Davis wrote:I'm sure the Udon Immigration Officers must be 'rolling in the aisles' at some of the things applicants allow them to get away with. 3,500 baht and no receipt! Wakey, wakey.
Allegedly....... I'm sceptical without more facts

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 10, 2015, 7:06 am

Wearing a small concealed camera lens would sort this out.

Not sure how this could affect next years renewal.

Or a formal complaint via their numbers etc.

As a Manager or Senior Staffer. Easy to refute. No complaints received..No perceived activity took place.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 10, 2015, 7:33 am

parrot wrote:
Brian Davis wrote:I'm sure the Udon Immigration Officers must be 'rolling in the aisles' at some of the things applicants allow them to get away with. 3,500 baht and no receipt! Wakey, wakey.
Allegedly....... I'm sceptical without more facts
Ok, agreed.
BobHelm wrote: Getting documentation exactly when YOU want it has often involved an express service fee when dealing with Thai Government Departments.
The same is exactly true of the UK Government..
Want a new passport today, pay a higher price than if you get one in 3 weeks time.. Up to the individual concerned...
You make it sound the two systems are identical, Bob. :lol:
I'm pretty confident the UK system is that if you want the passport back quickly, the service means you pay extra, the processing/checks take place and the money banked officially.
The Thai Udon Immigration system is the "service" means you pay extra (fee varies dependant on which officer is dealing and, sorry, but perhaps how gullible/aware the applicant appears), the important extra scrutiny(supposedly insisted upon by the Army, or a 'cunning plan' :-k ) required by a senior officer is miraculously either carried out in a few minutes or waived/ignored altogether and the money goes in the back pocket or handbag.
But same day service, no extra fees at Nong Khai. Strange, eh?

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » April 10, 2015, 7:47 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:If this nonsense is still going on in late December 2015 when my next renewal is due I guarantee you all I will not enter that office without an official from the "Anti Corruption Commission" in tow to witness the whole transaction.

Enough is enough --- OK I paid 1000 Baht, BUT 3500 = NEVER!

Got to agree and if more more of us did this maybe it would stop. I actualy hate going into the Udon Immigration Office now. When we were using the Nong Khai office we never had a problem.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 10, 2015, 7:53 am

I hear that there are other 'issues' with Immigration at Nong Khai that users in Udon want to feel fortunate are NOT (currently) happening here. 'Rules' that make waiting a month for a visa & having one extra stamp in your passport look very small change indeed.
I have only heard of them second hand though & have no intention of highlighting them here until they are made public on somewhere like Thai Visa. Which they probably will over the next few months.

As for corruption..
To my way of thinking it is the requirement to pay for something that otherwise would not be granted.
That is not the case here. If you don't pay anything above 1,900 you still get your visa. Not 1 person, to my knowledge, has been refused.

If individuals are so time constrained (or foolish) & would prefer to pay ludicrous sums of money then really that is 'up to them'. The 'corruption' resulting is undoubtedly as much the fault of that individual as the Immigration Officer though..

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 10, 2015, 9:14 am

BobHelm wrote:I hear that there are other 'issues' with Immigration at Nong Khai that users in Udon want to feel fortunate are NOT (currently) happening here.

If you don't pay anything above 1,900 you still get your visa.

The 'corruption' resulting is undoubtedly as much the fault of that individual as the Immigration Officer though..
Ok, perhaps I was gullible in my brief enquiry at Nong Khai. She was a rather pretty, young officer! :-"

The problem is not you don't receive a visa even if you wait several weeks and only pay 1900 baht, but if you do require it in a hurry. Then I don't think it's much of a helpful 'service' , when you need to put money in someone's pocket to get it. I'm not aware of anybody who, prepared to pay the extra, has insisted on getting a receipt. (and doubt you would!). Thus, my suspicion it's an opportunist scam.

I have to agree with your last comment. I'm very sure that if more applicants were prepared to argue the toss, or e.g.a media-covered representation was made to say The Head of Udon Immigration, Bangkok HQ, Army. these kind of topics will no longer appear. I've my own ideas as to how applicants to Udon Immigration might be grouped, ranging from those who are recently arrived and are likely to get conned everywhere in Thailand(before anyone jumped down my throat, I've been there!) through to those with the willingness to say 'no'.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 11, 2015, 5:46 am

why the two threads..makes me feel like a traitor if I write here, and not on the other thread, and vice versa, when I dont even like to choose sides..

anyway, my 2 baht worth.
My lovely Isaan beauty had to go to Imm Office for stuff pertaining solely to her alone, and she got skimmed 1000, and no receipt, so everyone is tarred with the same brush. She was just as miffed as us lot for the hardship that the corruption in this country, puts on its own people..1000bt to a poor dirt farmer is a hell big dent in their wallet compared to us...Thailand never used to be this way.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 11, 2015, 9:02 am

I saw the same activity when I was here 43 years ago.. Nothing's changed other than the amounts taken.. Instead of getting motorcycles for no helmets, back then they used to stop pedal samlors for infractions and impound the seat if they weren't paid the "fine." Government Bureaucrats back then still expected their "tea money' to expedite paperwork, and.. the people paid...
Dave

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”