Respect at Immigration

General Udon Thani topics only!
rct
udonmap.com

Respect at Immigration

Post by rct » April 10, 2015, 11:08 am

I do not want to associate myself with the other thread.....today at Immigration, I witnessed nothing but professionalism from all the officers, during my 90 minute visit for an annual renewal, during which time they were quite busy and handling all sorts of people. Been here 6 years now, and always felt this way. Fortunately most of the westerners seem properly dressed and behaved.

One bald older westerner came in after 10h00 wearing a black shirt that was entirely unbuttoned all the way down to just one button near his belt holding the thing together, his chest and bare belly sticking out. If I was an immigration officer I would have told the chap he lost his chance that day and to come another day properly dressed, or not to come back. I think he was getting his 90 day report.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Respect at Immigration

Post by merchant seaman » April 10, 2015, 12:25 pm

Better dressed shoppers at WalMart compared to what you see sometimes from the expats and tourists.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Respect at Immigration

Post by mathusalah80 » April 10, 2015, 12:37 pm

rct wrote:I do not want to associate myself with the other thread.....today at Immigration, I witnessed nothing but professionalism from all the officers, during my 90 minute visit for an annual renewal, during which time they were quite busy and handling all sorts of people. Been here 6 years now, and always felt this way. Fortunately most of the westerners seem properly dressed and behaved.

One bald older westerner came in after 10h00 wearing a black shirt that was entirely unbuttoned all the way down to just one button near his belt holding the thing together, his chest and bare belly sticking out. If I was an immigration officer I would have told the chap he lost his chance that day and to come another day properly dressed, or not to come back. I think he was getting his 90 day report.

As to your first paragraph rct: =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> From me, and on behalf of what I am sure are the vast majority of the mature minded, intelligent, and contented long term expats living here, who are happy to accept: " ...... living here as the Romans do"
As to your second paragraph. Most of the gripers posting on the Immigration threads,(the use of which noun clearly excludes those posting helpful & constructive advice) have been both living here for many years, and posting the same old gripes ad nauseam. In their smug, imagined, superiority it appears they consider the lesser mortals at the IO are unaware, or incapable of reading, their many rude and, ( often personally) offensive posts; even more importantly that these same IOs are incapable of identifying the poster, from the details of their visit, which they so generously supply. [-o< :roll: :-k And so they are left wondering why they, and even others of their nationality,(perhaps unfairly by association), frequently experience problems with their applications. Gee! I just had a thought =D> Perhaps IOs are humans after all and, like us other humans, resent their Country and themselves, being constantly insulted and told how much better other countries are, and how much better things are done in those wonderful countries, to which these gripers never wish to return! :-k :-s [-o< :-#
Try pointing out the obvious to these gripers,( namely they should adopt one of the only two options to them, which are either accept what they cannot change and get on with enjoying life here, or LEAVE!), and you will be subjected to the usual rude and offensive post, from the usual rude and offensive posters. =; :-$ Just watch here! =;

old timer
udonmap.com

Respect at Immigration

Post by old timer » April 10, 2015, 12:44 pm

mathusalah80 wrote:
rct wrote:I do not want to associate myself with the other thread.....today at Immigration, I witnessed nothing but professionalism from all the officers, during my 90 minute visit for an annual renewal, during which time they were quite busy and handling all sorts of people. Been here 6 years now, and always felt this way. Fortunately most of the westerners seem properly dressed and behaved.

As to your first paragraph rct: =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> From me, and on behalf of what I am sure are the vast majority of the mature minded, intelligent, and contented long term expats living here, who are happy to accept: " ...... living here as the Romans do"
As to your second paragraph. Most of the gripers posting on the Immigration threads,(the use of which noun clearly excludes those posting helpful & constructive advice) have been both living here for many years, and posting the same old gripes ad nauseam. In their smug, imagined, superiority it appears they consider the lesser mortals at the IO are unaware, or incapable of reading, their many rude and, ( often personally) offensive posts; even more importantly that these same IOs are incapable of identifying the poster, from the details of their visit, which they so generously supply. [-o< :roll: :-k And so they are left wondering why they, and even others of their nationality,(perhaps unfairly by association), frequently experience problems with their applications. Gee! I just had a thought =D> Perhaps IOs are humans after all and, like us other humans, resent their Country and themselves, being constantly insulted and told how much better other countries are, and how much better things are done in those wonderful countries, to which these gripers never wish to return! :-k :-s [-o< :-#
Try pointing out the obvious to these gripers,( namely they should adopt one of the only two options to them, which are either accept what they cannot change and get on with enjoying life here, or LEAVE!), and you will be subjected to the usual rude and offensive post, from the usual rude and offensive posters. =; :-$ Just watch here! =;
Agreed.
Not with the service at immigration because I haven't been for ages, but with what you are saying in general.

OT........... \:D/

Paladin
udonmap.com

Respect at Immigration

Post by Paladin » April 10, 2015, 3:09 pm

Well said OT, these people should have a good look at themselves before criticising others. The way some farangs behave, and there dress sense is appalling. They should be sent away and come back in a respectable manner.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Respect at Immigration

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 10, 2015, 3:38 pm

Exactly, these disrespectful slobs should remain in the dregs/cess pits of Pattaya (or wherever -- apologies to those who like Pattaya) where they belong! :-#
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

pal52
udonmap.com

Respect at Immigration

Post by pal52 » April 10, 2015, 4:58 pm

If you do not want to associate yourself with the other thread. I assume it is the one about corruption.
Why did you not just put your reply on the other thread. I have just been to immigration this afternoon to do my 90 day report. There were 5 farangs there all suitably dressed.
What were you wearing a Tuxedo or top hat & tails. The other thread is about extra payments requested by immigration which is a Fact which happens.
You have also not stated how much you paid for your extension & if you were asked for a tip (BRIBE) which a lot of Farangs have been asked to give openly. Do not critisize one farang & class him like all expats. It is obvious you are very Naive & think because you were treated nice everyone is treated the same even if they are suitably dressed. [-X [-X :-"

rct
udonmap.com

Respect at Immigration

Post by rct » April 10, 2015, 5:28 pm

This particular thread is about showing respect at immigration.

The goofball who came in at around 10h00 with his shirt almost entirely open and unbuttoned, except for the bottom one button near his belt, was not suitably dressed and exemplifies a lack of respect, even if he may be the rare case of it in that office. How would I know if rare or not, I only go once per year.

Reminds me of a "no shirt no shoes = service?" thread I wrote a couple years ago.....
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/n ... 17484.html

I cannot post in a thread concerning corruption [at immigration] because in my 20+ years in Thailand I have not experienced it. I was casually dressed today, most westerners I saw there looked more formal than I did. I paid 1900 baht for my extension, no tip or other money requested, my paperwork was well prepared and passed inspection without question.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Respect at Immigration

Post by Brian Davis » April 10, 2015, 5:45 pm

You didn't really clarify there rct. Was it Udon Talk you were referring to?

I can admit to physically cringing at the way some farangs choose to present themselves, that's walking down the road, never mind in an office. One should dress reasonably when going into any office. I think most would choose casual but smart.
Respect? Well, that goes both ways, doesn't it? Suffice to say that an Immigration Officer announcing openly "That will be 500 baht, no receipt" which has happened to me for a known to be free service, immediately loses my respect.

wazza
udonmap.com

Respect at Immigration

Post by wazza » April 11, 2015, 2:13 am

Well done RCT

My comment also goes further and expand your dress standards to any Government agency your dealing with.

I well remember seeing a few years ago a Muay Thai shorst and Vest / singlet guy trying to get a drivers licence.

Stamping the ground, shouting etc. I was there after him, and left before him.

grievous
udonmap.com

Respect at Immigration

Post by grievous » April 11, 2015, 9:52 am

Completely on the money RCT. I've always dressed appropriately, had my papers in order, been polite and have never been asked for extra payments or "bribes". I saw one guy turn up to Australian embassy in a singlet, shorts and thongs with his gf wearing a mini skirt and crop top. Last time I was at Udon immigration an older farang came in, didn't take a ticket and tried to go straight to the consultant and not wait in line.
You need to be respectful of people and their surroundings.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Respect at Immigration

Post by trubrit » April 11, 2015, 10:17 am

Well respect is a two way street, it has to be given before it can be returned. I always dress appropriately for any occasion but that is for me, not to impress others. However it is very difficult to show respect for anyone that is using their position of trust for personal gain. I really don't understand ,when Thai's put so much emphasise on face that they don't realise how low class they look by behaving the same as common con men .So I have absolutely no respect for them, however I am polite but keep any social aspect to the minimum, and that's how I am treated in return .Hence I never have any trouble with them and on the rare occasion a hint of a special payment is made my partial deafness becomes total and I sit there with a smile on my face. A repeat request is never made . :-"
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Respect at Immigration

Post by DuiDui49 » April 11, 2015, 10:33 am

trubrit wrote:Well respect is a two way street, it has to be given before it can be returned. I always dress appropriately for any occasion but that is for me, not to impress others. However it is very difficult to show respect for anyone that is using their position of trust for personal gain. I really don't understand ,when Thai's put so much emphasise on face that they don't realise how low class they look by behaving the same as common con men .So I have absolutely no respect for them, however I am polite but keep any social aspect to the minimum, and that's how I am treated in return .Hence I never have any trouble with them and on the rare occasion a hint of a special payment is made my partial deafness becomes total and I sit there with a smile on my face. A repeat request is never made . :-"

Been working in Uniform for 8 years..that said,i TOTALLY agree with you "trubrit"..but people,not everyone on UM,do not think before they act..they themself who can't wait or whatever reason they choose to use,is the biggest loosers in my way of thinking.I have now issues with the Immigration people..yet.But i never will pay them one freaking bath for something that is FREE.If i would do that it tells everyone that i'm OKEY with bribes..NOT.

Thank you everyone that help the Thais fight corruption who is killing this country and their childrens future.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Respect at Immigration

Post by Brian Davis » April 11, 2015, 11:12 am

trubrit wrote:However it is very difficult to show respect for anyone that is using their position of trust for personal gain.........when Thai's put so much emphasise on face ..........the rare occasion a hint of a special payment is made my partial deafness becomes total
Very well put, Trubrit and exactly my feelings too. I'm afraid I couldn't follow your example of coolness when 'the' female officer asked for 500 baht, no receipt. She got a mouthful about having no respect for her position, uniform, country or the photos of you know who fixed to the wall - all things which the Thai make quite a fuss about.

Love the deafness bit. :lol:

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Respect at Immigration

Post by bigsnake » April 12, 2015, 11:32 am

Yes indeed they do treat you with the UTMOST respect while their HANDS are Deep in your POCKET! Nuff Said here Mr Prayut OVER to you.

wazza
udonmap.com

Respect at Immigration

Post by wazza » April 12, 2015, 11:38 am

Im sure if both threads got copied and dropped off at Lactosoy Visa Corner they would offer the next vest barefoot smelling alcoholic applicant a free lift home with every receipted 1900 paid. Lol

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”