Private Schools in Udon

General Udon Thani topics only!
zen4dummies

Private Schools in Udon

Post by zen4dummies » April 20, 2015, 3:55 pm

We live in Bangkok and have been talking about moving out for some time. We were going to move after the 17 y/o step-daughter graduates from grade 12 but problems with her at school and with her boyfriend may accelerate this. Her grades have gone downhill the past two years so she will unlikely be able to get into a good school. Can anyone recommend a less than great school that is centrally located? I am not familiar with Udon, don't have a car and would like to rent an apartment close to the school but do not want to be out in the sticks.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Zen

grievous
udonmap.com

Private Schools in Udon

Post by grievous » April 20, 2015, 6:43 pm

Hi Zen I'm not sure of your budget however if you're interested in a bi-lingual school Apapatchara is quite centrally located and costs around 70,000 baht per year. Patana Panya is in a similar area with similar price.

zen4dummies

Private Schools in Udon

Post by zen4dummies » April 20, 2015, 8:20 pm

Thanks for the info Grievous. I hope that you mean 70,000 baht for two terms. I have always paid per term here in Bangkok. We are in the process of making plans to come up this week.

Zen

tamada
udonmap.com

Private Schools in Udon

Post by tamada » April 20, 2015, 9:33 pm

grievous wrote:Hi Zen I'm not sure of your budget however if you're interested in a bi-lingual school Apapatchara is quite centrally located and costs around 70,000 baht per year. Patana Panya is in a similar area with similar price.
I thought Apapatchara was a kindergarten, no? The OP's daughter is (almost) all growed up.

grievous
udonmap.com

Private Schools in Udon

Post by grievous » April 21, 2015, 7:08 am

Apapatchara started as a kindergarten and now is a primary school also. The cost is around 70,000 baht for two terms in the English program. Looking at the results they had compared to other Udon schools they performed above most. I haven't had my children attend the school yet but I was fairly happy with what I found on visiting.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Private Schools in Udon

Post by rickfarang » April 21, 2015, 10:32 am

Anybody know whether he might be able to get his daughter into St. Mary's or another scho?

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Private Schools in Udon

Post by merchant seaman » April 21, 2015, 10:47 am

As far as private schools in Udon for grade 12 it's either St. Marys or Don Bosco. Don't think the new International School goes to grade 12 yet.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Private Schools in Udon

Post by papaguido » April 21, 2015, 10:56 am

merchant seaman wrote:As far as private schools in Udon for grade 12 it's either St. Marys or Don Bosco. Don't think the new International School goes to grade 12 yet.
I don't see it happening at Bosco...unless the OP wants to make a very, very generous donation ฿฿฿

socksy
udonmap.com

Private Schools in Udon

Post by socksy » April 21, 2015, 11:14 am

rickfarang wrote:Anybody know whether he might be able to get his daughter into St. Mary's or another scho?
When my daughter moved to St Marys when she was four, yes four, she had to do an entry test and they also questioned whether my daughter was Christian and specifically what practice of Christianity ie R.C.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Private Schools in Udon

Post by rickfarang » April 21, 2015, 1:59 pm

I have heard that getting an older student into Don Bosco is very expen$$$$$$ive if possible at all.

Any chance of them finding good public school?

dingdong
udonmap.com

Private Schools in Udon

Post by dingdong » April 21, 2015, 5:33 pm

Just back from Perth and on the tube they are reporting that Private Schools there are no better and actually in some cases students graduate from Public schools in better shape

Ding

tamada
udonmap.com

Private Schools in Udon

Post by tamada » April 22, 2015, 7:12 am

Getting back to the OT, he doesn't say he requires an International school so it's down to a decent Thai curriculum school, private or otherwise, centrally located in Meuang Udon Thani for a 17 year-old girl.

I would hazard that the 'less than great' qualifier offered by the OP would fit Don Bosco perfectly but they charge silly prices for their sub-standard schooling so there must be better alternatives both educationally and financially. No?

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Private Schools in Udon

Post by Jing Jing » April 22, 2015, 2:48 pm

Based on info from my nephews and nieces I would say all schools both private and public are fraught with problems. The only way to survive is to go to the tutor schools. (And again these have pluses and minuses) And the parents need be on them like white on rice. Udon Pit which holds itself out to be the be all and end all won't tell you the only students that count academically (have a better chance at the better universities and this includes KKU) are in M1/2 thru M6/2. You have to pass a test to get into this class. After M3 some of the better students are transferring to the better high schools in BKK The difference between DB and UP is total students on campus and by grade. Would you want your student to be 1 of 100 students or 1 of 1,000. They say girls tend to due better academically in an all girls school environment. At UP the boys can be real h'sa and want the girls to do their work or loan them money. I met a brother and sister. The boy went to DB and the girl went to UP. The boy was academically focused. The girl had succumbed to the go along to get along mind set. Depends on what future you want for them.

mak
udonmap.com

Private Schools in Udon

Post by mak » April 22, 2015, 7:40 pm

Arpapatchara goes up to grade 6. Pattana Panya to grade 8. They both have English programs. Udon Christian, Don Bosco, St. Mary's to grade 12.

mak
udonmap.com

Private Schools in Udon

Post by mak » April 23, 2015, 8:07 am

Paramin School to Grade 6. They have an English program. UDIS to Grade 6.

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Private Schools in Udon

Post by Jing Jing » April 23, 2015, 8:58 am

The problem with EP is you need to learn everything again in Thai. All of the standardized test - ONET, PAT, GAT, are in Thai. There is also a shortage of qualified English Math and Science teachers. There is no way an English STEM teacher will accept ฿30,000 a month.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”