Safe to Drink Rain Water??

General Udon Thani topics only!
mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » April 22, 2015, 6:45 am

Hi All,
Just wondering if it is safe to drink rain water around Udon and district.
Also, does anyone sell large water tanks, plastic concrete etc?
Thanks
Mick

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 22, 2015, 6:57 am

my missus has been cooking with rainwater out of papa's old ceramic type tanks...
and I too are looking for a cream colored plastic tank

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 22, 2015, 6:58 am

Yes it is safe to drink
Large not really about 2000litres
lots of hardware type places sell them
Global, Homepro, Home Hub, Home Do, Thai Wat Su Do

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 22, 2015, 7:02 am

having just cleaned the roof, you might want to disconnect the spouting every now and then, give the roof a brush, and connect again

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 22, 2015, 7:15 am

Never hurt me, that's the only water I normally drink here, a few tips:-
1. Scrub out your tanks prior to a new season of storage.
2. Don't store water until after a few days of heavy rain.
3. Empty the tanks around Mid August and refill with fresh rain water. This will last very well until the next wet season starts around end of May - Depending on usage off coarse!
4. Use filters over the top of the tanks, available at most flee markets at about 30 Baht each.
5. Use properly made, close fitting, lids on the tanks
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 22, 2015, 7:17 am

its coming off your roofs so I'd say it would depend on how filthy the roof is and what its made of..
Dave

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 22, 2015, 7:20 am

I think that the 'normal' Thai way to do this in the village maaka is to have a flexible hose connection from the guttering to the container.
That way you can fill more than 1 container from the same roof. The pipe is then directed to the ground when the containers are full & at the end of the wet season. The first couple of wet season storms are allowed to go to waste as a roof cleaning weapon...
Village Thai people are not stupid despite what many Falang might think. Just a different kind of smart to make their life as easy as possible... :D

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 22, 2015, 7:35 am

That's correct Bob, I use a combination of flexible and PVC pipe to fill our 3 "Jugs" from two gutters.
Some of them without gutters use folder, scrap corrugated iron supported in a bamboo frame to catch the water off the roof and channel it into their storage facility.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 22, 2015, 8:20 am

with the commercial units at Homepro, Global etc

Make sure the tanks are suitable / graded for Consumer Consumption.

My mate in KK, is on his 3rd BLUE tank, as the algae grows on the inside and out . Scrubs , washes it etc then he choose to clean it out with Detol !! last time.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » April 22, 2015, 9:25 am

maaka wrote:having just cleaned the roof, you might want to disconnect the spouting every now and then, give the roof a brush, and connect again
As mentioned already, stay away from the blue PVC containers as they're prone to algae build up

DOS water tanks:

http://dos.co.th/product/index.php?cat=2

Wave water tanks (Thai only, scroll down after opening):

http://wave.co.th/index.php/index.php?g ... 0213124656

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » April 22, 2015, 11:40 am

18 - 5 - stainless steel tanks - available at almost all big sellers of tanks
Please wear suitable clothing when attending a concert in Udon Thani. Slacks and short-sleeved shirts are ok, shorts, tank tops or muscle shirts are not.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 22, 2015, 12:05 pm

Copy That Fella's...
Yes I have seen some of those tanks at Home Hub, however, I have been test driving a cream colored plastic tank, back on the farm downunder during the summer, and am amazed at the coolness of the water at 30 degree sunshine, so will test same here, before go all out Green...but thanks for the knowledge Papa..Will store it away...if the cream dont work, will use it for the gardens..

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 22, 2015, 12:20 pm

We have been drinking rain water for several years. My wife refuses to use water off the house roof. We have a galvanized steel roof over the outside kitchen. She goes so far as to use a power washer to clean the steel roof before filling the 1,500 liter fiberglass tank. I have a large stainless steel filter filled with activated charcoal. From there it goes through a three element filter with the last being a ceramic filter. The water is tasteless, odorless and is only used for drinking. The 1,500 liters lasts from one rainy season to the next rainy system.

Geoffrey
udonmap.com

Post by Geoffrey » April 22, 2015, 12:37 pm

When I came here 24 years ago I drank water from a well. I took a sample into the hospital lab (it's now done in Bangkok). I looked through their log book. They had one of 2 designations for each sample checked: บ for well water and ฝ for rain water. I asked why they even needed to check rain water. They told me because the lizard and bird feces could pollute the water.

We have been drinking rain water for 20 years or so now.

I've had 3 groups of university students (Cal Poly and U of Melbourne) work on developing a self-flushing downspout. It traps particulates and lets floating debris wash off. I think it's pretty neat. As part of their education I invited the provincial health department to check drinking water sources in our village. This included bottled water and water passed through a special filter. The cleanest water was rain water.

The villagers here sell curved interlocking concrete blocks; that's what my tanks are made of.
Holy Harp

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 22, 2015, 4:46 pm

Geoff, I could do with one of those self flushing spouting thingys for back home, as my other home is backed into the manuka forrest, and I am forever having to shovel the stuff out the bottom of my tank every year of two...have seen one before that drops open like a trap door, then closes again

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » April 22, 2015, 8:03 pm

I send my quick reply: It is safe and it is not. Most of safe conditions and also some not safe have been written here, but some missing.

Drinking rain water is same as buying land. Location, location and again location...

Usually rain water in clouds is clean, but not always. I do not take Fukushima as an example, but also some factories can pollute clouds and definetely rain water. I have been in acid rain, where my eyes became red, itching and also skin had problems. Rain really absorbs everything from air and if there are pollution from traffic, potassium or any particles, rain water will contain that.

When I got that acid rain, official explain was that is has been generated in Germany (I was living in Finland). So saying that one lives outside dirty area is not always enough. Dirty clouds can travel hundreds of kilometers.

Just wanted to remind that some of us are saying that air around Udon is not good. That means that everything which goes through that air, becames polluted.

We still have remember that most of the time water from public pipe or a well is more polluted... and always we have a possibility to filter that water, where ever it comes.

My answer to question is that it is 50/50% safe. My own opinion would be 80% safe, but can not give it as an answer to someone, because I would be responsible, if he somehow would have troubles.

I know quite much about water and how safe it is to use water. We had a drilled well (130 meters) and before EU everyone said that water is not only good. It was perfect and could be bottled, because had so good minerals. Next day after EU, they said that we can not use our water in any way. Taking a shower could be dangerous... Just one particle in water and one change of parameters to measure. This is why I can not say that YES, it is 100% safe. Maybe today and in one place. Other place or tomorrow, not safe.

Today we have filtering system and we take water from tessaban. It is ok and much better that those 20 l bottles, where we sometimes found hair, insects and other particles. Taking rain water and filtering it would not be a bad idea. I just tell this, because almost everywhere you can use rain water for planting whatever -not drink it. So do we.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 22, 2015, 10:05 pm

As said, pollution can effect clouds so the rain they produce can be contaminated. But generally speaking, most of those pollutants are not toxic to humans (a bit of acid from CO2, SO2 or NO2 will just form relatively harmless salts). As for pollution around Udon there is little industrial air pollution and poor air quality is rare. So generally speaking rainwater should be reasonably good - chemically. Can always add a little lime to neutralise acids if you want. Bacteriologically, it will always be so-so - how ever much you clean your roof, it only needs one piece of bird or gecko ---- to change that. So filtering and sterilisation are advisable. But rainwater will always be cleaner than river or pond water. One tip - coliform bacteria decline with time so if using raw rainwater best to store for a few weeks before use. Second tip - fill plastic bottle with water and leave in the sun for a couple of days - UV will kill most bacteria.

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Post by Airportwo » April 22, 2015, 11:06 pm

I would agree that drinking rainwater in most instances would be ok, but storing water in plastic is not a good idea.
Look up "Reusing Plastic Bottles Can Pose Serious Health Hazards" we are using more and more plastics in our lives, most are meant for one time useage, some shouldn't be used at all.

Below is a C&P

In April 2008 about possible health risks from a chemical in the polycarbonate known as bisphenol A (BPA). Though it soft-pedaled the reasons for concern (there is actually an alarming amount of scientific evidence that BPA may be highly toxic), the news was widely carried in the media and the bottles' appeal evaporated overnight.

In response, Nalgene, the manufacturer whose name had become synonymous with this type of bottle, announced it would phase out the product and replace it with a new model that was equally clear, hard, beautiful -- and BPA-free.

So -- problem solved.

Or was it?

The new Nalgene water bottle is made of a "copolyester" plastic manufactured by the Eastman company with the trade name Tritan. So are new bottles by Kor and Camelbak. All trumpet the fact that their bottles are BPA-free, with the implication that BPA-free is the equivalent of safe. But we have no way of knowing because the ingredients that make up Tritan have been kept secret. They could include another dangerous chemical...or not. Since the ingredients have not been identified, no one can say.

All we know about the Tritan bottles is that, like polycarbonate, they fall into the #7 category of "other" plastics in the identification system used to mark plastic containers. (The numbers appear inside a triangle of chasing arrows.) When it comes to 1 through 6, the numbers are relatively informative, but 7 is the mystery number. Here's the lowdown on each:

#1 (PET or PETE) plastic is the kind used for bottled water bottles, which are generally regarded as safe. They have been shown to leach antimony into the water in a couple of studies, but at levels considered safe by the EPA. The scare about their leaching DEHA if reused, which you may have come across, turns out to be an urban legend. If there is any risk from reuse, it probably comes from bacterial contamination. (The bottles' narrow necks make them hard to clean.)

#2 (HDPE), 4 (LDPE) and 5 (polypropylene) plastics are generally regarded as safe.

#3 (PVC) and 6 (styrene) plastics pose health risks and should be avoided. (They are not ordinarily used for water bottles, but are used for other food and beverage containers.)

#7 plastic is usually polycarbonate and contains BPA. If you are in love with a particular #7 bottle, you could call the manufacturer to identify the plastic, but that might not make matters clearer. Learning, for instance, that the plastic is Tritan would not tell you enough. The "better safe than sorry" approach would be to avoid #7 altogether in my opinion.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”