Selling a motor vehicle in Thailand.

General Udon Thani topics only!
wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » October 4, 2015, 10:54 am

Could I have advice on what steps are required to sell a freehold M/V westerner to westerner. Transport, Police, Immigration etc.
Thanks
John

Gurgle, Gurgle...

faranginUTH
udonmap.com

Post by faranginUTH » October 4, 2015, 11:41 am

if the vehicle is in your name, you need to get a permit from immigration, cost me 500 baht last time.

the easiest way it to go through a safety check station and let them do all the paperwork or you will have to go through transport out on the KK highway by the license office and do inspection, the new owner can go with the safety check guys for a fee.

at the end of the road of soi jintakarm (across the street) there is a safety check place, look for the gear sign.

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » October 4, 2015, 6:17 pm

Great news thanks, I live just off Jintakam, a 2 Min drive.
Gurgle, Gurgle...

faranginUTH
udonmap.com

Post by faranginUTH » October 4, 2015, 6:41 pm

the easiest way to sell a car is to download the papers and have the form from immigration ready, then sign off and point the buyer to the safety check station, they do the service for him

you can also meet the buyer there with immigration form in hand and the safety check station will do the rest, you might want to have someone that can speak thai for you.

faranginUTH
udonmap.com

Post by faranginUTH » October 4, 2015, 6:48 pm

P1090171.jpg

wokkawombat
udonmap.com

Post by wokkawombat » October 4, 2015, 6:50 pm

Does the other falang (buyer) require anything from Immigration?
Gurgle, Gurgle...

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 4, 2015, 6:52 pm

Out of interest, and not wishing to divert the thread, what role does immigration have in this process?

faranginUTH
udonmap.com

Post by faranginUTH » October 4, 2015, 8:31 pm

yes he will if it goes into his name (dont forget to bring at least 3 copies of your passport sized photo)

JS foreigners can not just buy a car or bike, they need a document from immigration or no go, isn't your car in your name?

downunder
udonmap.com

Post by downunder » October 4, 2015, 8:36 pm

[1] My experience when I bought from a Farang, there were a couple of extra forms that had to be signed at the time of change over of Green Book. The bike was put in MTWs name

[2]OR maybe as a Farang if you are intending to buy you need permission from Immigration to purchase, or a Yellow Book.

PROBABLY BOTH [1/2]

JR
udonmap.com

Post by JR » October 4, 2015, 8:39 pm

You need the affidavit from IM to certify your home address.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 4, 2015, 8:46 pm

faranginUTH wrote:yes he will if it goes into his name (dont forget to bring at least 3 copies of your passport sized photo)

JS foreigners can not just buy a car or bike, they need a document from immigration or no go, isn't your car in your name?
I understand that a document is needed from Immigration - I just don't understand what possible rationale there is for them to get involved.

Perhaps another good reason to have a yellow book. :D

As to your question - no. Both vehicles I have bought here (new) have been in my wife's name. I really couldn't see a reason for it to be otherwise.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 5, 2015, 6:24 am

jackspratt wrote:
Perhaps another good reason to have a yellow book. :D

As to your question - no. Both vehicles I have bought here (new) have been in my wife's name. I really couldn't see a reason for it to be otherwise.
OFF TOPIC

So why go through the bullshlt associated with the yellow book then. You use it once every 5 years to renew your license.

Over the years this bloody yellow book has cost me a trip to the Embassy, two trips to the Chan Wattana Immigration Office in BKK and they have still thrown hoops at me. Easier (for me) just to get the Immigration letter 'of address' every 5 years.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » October 5, 2015, 6:33 am

I think its referred to as an "verification of address" letter and also referred to as "proof of address", not required if having yellow book.

Don't know if it makes a difference to buying/selling a motorbike. When I bought a motor bike from a foreigner he, the seller didn't require proof of address only myself, the buyer. I used a my yellow book.

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » October 6, 2015, 1:53 am

You don't necessarily need a document from Immigration, You need a proof of address whenever You want to buy a motorcycle or a car in Thailand and have it registered under your name.

You can get this proof of address on at least two ways:
1. On short notice from Immigration - based on the required registration of all foreigners in Thailand.
2. Via a yellow book by the Amphoe (Ministry of Interior) - based on the house-registration of the population.

Why do buyers normally want to buy a car or cycle under their own name? Because then they are the owners of these.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 6, 2015, 7:51 pm

I have bought 1 x 2nd hand car and 3 new cars in Udon, over the last 12 years or so.

Never had to use any form from immigration. Yellow Book suffice.

wokkawombat
udonmap.com

Post by wokkawombat » October 6, 2015, 9:53 pm

Neither I or the buyer have yellow books.
Gurgle, Gurgle...

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 6, 2015, 11:48 pm

Wokka

My advice would be to have both parties do a dry run at the Govt Department.

Taking a Long Haired Translator with you.

Ask the staff there to DOCUMENT all you need in writing. Not just hear say.

Prepare it all and then arrive 0730 on the day you wish to transfer to get the car in the queue. Maybe even take a packed lunch.

wokkawombat
udonmap.com

Post by wokkawombat » October 7, 2015, 6:38 pm

Yesterday I went to the agency at the western end of Soi Jintakam and checked with them.
Today I went to Immigration with my lease, landlords ID card and house book my passport and 3 photos.
The Immigration officer (female in the middle) copied my papers and typed and printed out the letter. As she was pasting the photos onto the letter she mentioned the fee was Baht 500 I asked about a receipt and she said no receipt. I said that it was not legal to take my money without a receipt. She chatted with the bloke on her left for a while, told me to wait and played with her phone. After about 20 mins he looked at the letter, told her to change something and she reprinted them. Photos were re-attached, she stamped them, he signed and stamped them, 1 copy was put into an envelope and given to me, no charge but no smile either.

Back to the agency, they copied my passport and lease, I signed about 4 forms, they took my blue book and I arranged to be there on Monday morning after the buyer gets his Immigration letter. They then take the car out to Transport at Nong Soon and will call me when all finished.
Gurgle, Gurgle...

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » October 7, 2015, 7:14 pm

wokkawombat wrote:Back to the agency, they copied my passport and lease, I signed about 4 forms, they took my blue book....
So You did not need your immigration letter at all?

wokkawombat
udonmap.com

Post by wokkawombat » October 7, 2015, 8:27 pm

They also took the Immigration letter.
Gurgle, Gurgle...

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”