Opening UK Bank Account?

General Udon Thani topics only!
GT93
udonmap.com

Opening UK Bank Account?

Post by GT93 » October 25, 2015, 12:44 pm

waanjai wrote:
Bread Man wrote: I have a Thai Bank account but was told that transferring money in and out of this account is expensive, takes time and exchange rates not good.
Hmm
I have an account with Bangkok Bank.
Each time I transfer a lumpsum of 10.000 Euro to Udon, the bank will charge me 500 Baht as fees. = 0.05 Baht per Euro.
Each time I transfer money from the EU, the money will be in Udon at about 11:00 the next day
The exchange rate You get from Bangkok Bank is nearly always one of the best rates normal banks offer, and they give the best as You transfer via TT (the old abbreviation for Telex, Telefax) without any manual work using SWIFT system.
Wow. The transfer is very fast. I'm not sure about the fee. I pay a fee in NZ and then a fee is paid in Thailand as well. Together probably more than 500 baht.

I'm currently exploring other options such as paying a Thai individual in NZ to make the transfer. I'm, however, chicken to transfer too much until I trust her.

Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

waanjai
udonmap.com

Opening UK Bank Account?

Post by waanjai » October 25, 2015, 1:27 pm

GT93 wrote:I'm not sure about the fee. I pay a fee in NZ and then a fee is paid in Thailand as well. Together probably more than 500 baht.
In general with interbank transfers you have three different options concerning the question who will have to pay the "costs of transfer":
1. the sender alone (with Thailand not very reliable, as some Thai banks would still ask for their own fee, telling you the fees were not transferred)
2. the receiver alone (not many customers can really enforce this option)
3. cost-sharing: costs of the sending bank by the sender, costs of the receiving bank by the receiver).
THREE is the option to choose.

It should be clear by now that whenever your pension is the sender and you in Udon is the receiver, you would only have to pay the fees of Bangkok Bank.

Furthermore, always transfer money in the currency of the sending bank. This currency will then arrive unchanged at Bangkok Bank, Bangkok and will then be changed into Thai Baht and transfered to the branch in Udon.

A few useful information re Bangkok Bank main branch Udon.
1. As already written, it is on Prajaksilapakom Road, pretty near to the Clock Tower Roundabout. Prajaksilapakom is the parallel street to Posri Road and starts at the middle of Tungsri Mueang direction Clock Tower Roundabout and further to Udon Central Railway station.
2. Account openings are dealt with on floor 2. There is a staircase to your right.
3. Bring wife in original, your and her documentation in copy.
4. Best is to ask for Mrs. Piamon. Khun Piamon speaks English and is also the Udon Bangkok Bank representative in meetings with Farangs.

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Opening UK Bank Account?

Post by kubotatim » October 25, 2015, 1:41 pm

I do from UK regularly, fees are 20 pounds UK end and 200 to 500 baht here depending how much is transferred takes 24hrs and always send pounds to bank in Thailand for them to convert into baht far better rate.

Bread Man
udonmap.com

Opening UK Bank Account?

Post by Bread Man » October 25, 2015, 6:23 pm

Thank you all for your valuable input, it's appreciated very much and my visit to the Bank this week should be interesting,
I will give you an update later..... :D

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Opening UK Bank Account?

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 26, 2015, 3:13 pm

mac1966 wrote:I opened an offshore account with nationwide international from Thailand. Via Internet all very easy

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk
I also have nationwide international accounts and the process to open them is not difficult. They have an advantage now that you can use the quick transfer from an onshore account.

There is one branch of one UK bank that has said that they are able to open an account but you need a minimum of £1,000 per month going in for them to consider it.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”