laptop keeps on being mentioned

General Udon Thani topics only!
oldtimeudon
udonmap.com

Post by oldtimeudon » February 18, 2016, 10:04 am

hi people, after buying my 17 year old stepdaughter an iPhone last year she mentioned an iPad this year which I chose
to ignore, she is now telling her mother who is with me in Bangkok that she needs a laptop to complete her
work experience next month. I am loathe to provide this as last year she lasted 3 hours on her part time job and I
would not be surprised if the same thing happened again this year, so I suggested she have an old laptop I have.
as she seems quite spoilt I am convinced this is just her way of trying to get her own way, she is in school outside
of udon and is saying that every one in her year has to have a laptop. which I think is not the case. any helpful advice on this subject.

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » February 19, 2016, 12:35 pm

No matter if she really uses it or not - fact is we are living in the year 2016, and anyone denying a computer to a child must be out of this world somehow. There is nothing to discuss - buy it, they are cheap enough.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » February 20, 2016, 7:07 am

At 17 I'd say it was a perfectly reasonable request.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 20, 2016, 7:34 am

From the OPs post I think that there are a couple of different issues involved here.

1. Does a 17 year old need a laptop??
Absolutely, yes. However maybe it is also something that they should actually work to earn the money for themselves - even if that is by doing domestic chores at home, if other sources are not available.

2. Does a 17 year old need Apple products??
Absolutely no. It is sending completely the wrong message to a developing adult about how they should look to conduct their life in the world.

However as I believe that the 17 year old should buy the product with their own, earned money what they buy is rather 'up to them'. I do think that it is worth pointing out to them that Apple products are overpriced & do nothing more for the user (apart from 'face') than products costing a third as much though.. :D

Pooclover
udonmap.com
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack-bar sucking sickly sausage rolls

Post by Pooclover » February 20, 2016, 7:54 am

oldtimeudon wrote:hi people, after buying my 17 year old stepdaughter an iPhone last year she mentioned an iPad this year which I chose
to ignore, she is now telling her mother who is with me in Bangkok that she needs a laptop to complete her
work experience next month. I am loathe to provide this as last year she lasted 3 hours on her part time job and I
would not be surprised if the same thing happened again this year, so I suggested she have an old laptop I have.
as she seems quite spoilt I am convinced this is just her way of trying to get her own way, she is in school outside
of udon and is saying that every one in her year has to have a laptop. which I think is not the case. any helpful advice on this subject.

Sounds to me you have been over generous in the past but are now coming to your senses… Buying an iPhone for a child who after all said and done is not yours is stupidity…Now she is starting to treat you as an ATM… At least you are starting to question it all… You have being more than generous offering her your old lap top…

Too many falang idiots out here being milked…. Wise up… Thai people will respect you more although they might not show it…

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 20, 2016, 8:16 am

Personally I'd buy a laptop for a kid that might benefit from some encouragement but not for a drop kick. Good behaviour at home or a drive to better themselves would be enough "payment" for me. I trust Bob's "wage" for chores at home is above the market rate. Otherwise there might be a long wait for the laptop. :D

Many Thai 17 year olds still wouldn't have a laptop or would just have a crapped out old one. These kind of decisions for farang can be difficult and the decision might change over time after observing the outcomes from previous "investments".

Many years ago I decided to pay for a step-daughter's university education and in hindsight I'm really glad that I did. I wasn't ever really going to say "no". On my death bed I suspect I will think that was one of the best things that I did in my life.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”