Thai Will by a falang.valid or not?

General Udon Thani topics only!
Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » April 8, 2016, 11:42 am

JohnG wrote:If you have assets in more than one country / jurisdiction you need to obtain probate in every one of those countries / jurisdictions with a will that is legally valid in every one of those countries.
You're close. You do have to "obtain probate" (not the way it's usually said, but I understand what you mean) in every country/jurisdiction where there are assets. But you only file the will once. If you are the Executor of the will, the court where you file it will give you a certified (usually with a raised seal which is sometimes gold) Appointment (that's what it's called in the U.S., but may be called something else other places) as Executor. You get as many of those original certified Appointments as you need. Each bank which has an account of the person who died may require an original Appointment. That document is your authority from the court to marshall the assets of the probate estate wherever they are. In foreign jurisdictions/countries, you may have to take that Appointment to a local court which will issue a local Appointment (or equivalent) to you, which will similarly serve as your authority to marshall the assets of the probate estate in that jurisdiction or country.

JohnG wrote:It's possible to do it with one will but it's unnecessarily time consuming and drawn out as you normally need an original will for probate each time, so with only one will you can only apply in one country at a time, once the preceding country has granted probate, and after you have got the original will back which some countries are reluctant to agree to without a court order making it not only lengthy but expensive.
I've never heard of getting the original will back. It stays on file in the court where you filed it for a number of reasons, including to prevent it from being lost or misplaced, whether intentionally or otherwise.

JohnG wrote:Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you have been told that your one will is valid everywhere just because it was valid where it was written then either your lawyer will do very nicely out of your estate or your executor is in for a shock and a lot of travelling expenses ... or if you've agreed to be someone's executor and they've told you that you only need one will and to get probate once, then you're the one in for the shock and the expenses.
Well, as I said, you're close. You only need one will; but you do have to open a probate estate in every jurisdiction/country in which assets are located.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » April 8, 2016, 12:45 pm

JohnG wrote:
No, for the UK it depends on your domicile not your residency - very different.
Can't be "very different" as to determine deemed domicile they look at your residency.......... or you're saying the gov.co.uk link I attached is wrong of course :-"
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 8, 2016, 4:20 pm

agree with Red Dog in most...your overseas Executor thingy wont mean naff all here under Thai law, unless your apply to Thai Court to have it validated...cant see a thai bank handing over a deceased funds because your waving an English Probate Authority thingy....when in Rome..yes an the original is held by the Public Trust Office..not the lawyer, in NZ

JohnG
udonmap.com

Post by JohnG » April 8, 2016, 7:14 pm

Nigglyb wrote:
JohnG wrote:
No, for the UK it depends on your domicile not your residency - very different.
Can't be "very different" as to determine deemed domicile they look at your residency.......... or you're saying the gov.co.uk link I attached is wrong of course :-"
No, I'm not suggesting the link is wrong, simply saying that they're very different.

Residency is based purely on where you live for a given period - usually the number of days you spend in / out of the country. Nothing more.

Domicile is based on a number of factors of which residency is only one. If you don't understand the difference try applying to change your domicile nased solely on your residency.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » April 8, 2016, 7:30 pm

JohnG wrote: Domicile is based on a number of factors of which residency is only one. If you don't understand the difference try applying to change your domicile nased solely on your residency.
I understand the difference & more importantly understand it in relation to the original OP question. Why on earth would I want to try changing my domicile????

Try & keep up

JohnG
udonmap.com

Post by JohnG » April 8, 2016, 9:45 pm

Nigglyb wrote:
JohnG wrote: Domicile is based on a number of factors of which residency is only one. If you don't understand the difference try applying to change your domicile based solely on your residency.
I understand the difference & more importantly understand it in relation to the original OP question. Why on earth would I want to try changing my domicile????

Try & keep up
Maybe you "understand" it, but you don't seem to appreciate the significance it still has for those with assets abroad (and some assets in the UK) who are otherwise liable for Inheritance Tax.

Despite changes last year in the UK to close the "domiciled" loophole, if you're domiciled abroad you're not liable for Inheritance Tax on any assets outside the UK or even for some assets in the UK including foreign currency accounts in UK banks, and until April next year you're also not liable for Inheritance Tax on UK property if the property's owned by an offshore company. That applies even if you're actually resident in the UK at the time of death but domiciled abroad, so obviously there is a very clear difference for some between being non-resident and non-domiciled in the UK.

Equally obviously a considerable number of countries have Inheritance Tax and rules on being Non-Resident and Non-Domiciled vary from country to country, as does Inheritance Tax liability

Why you would want to try changing your domicile I don't know, as I don't know your financial situation (or have any interest in it) , but others may want to try changing theirs as the rules and implications vary from country to country.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » April 8, 2016, 10:07 pm

JohnG wrote: Maybe you "understand" it, but you don't seem to appreciate the significance it still has for those with assets abroad (and some assets in the UK) who are otherwise liable for Inheritance Tax.

Despite changes last year in the UK to close the "domiciled" loophole, if you're domiciled abroad you're not liable for Inheritance Tax on any assets outside the UK or even for some assets in the UK including foreign currency accounts in UK banks, and until April next year you're also not liable for Inheritance Tax on UK property if the property's owned by an offshore company. That applies even if you're actually resident in the UK at the time of death but domiciled abroad, so obviously there is a very clear difference for some between being non-resident and non-domiciled in the UK.

Equally obviously a considerable number of countries have Inheritance Tax and rules on being Non-Resident and Non-Domiciled vary from country to country, as does Inheritance Tax liability

Why you would want to try changing your domicile I don't know, as I don't know your financial situation (or have any interest in it) , but others may want to try changing theirs as the rules and implications vary from country to country.
Well I'm not interested in another of your walls of words......... :sleepy: Good luck to anyone else who want to read this.
Before I go, I have to ask, do you leave skid marks from all the u turns you make in your "alleged" informative posts?

JohnG
udonmap.com

Post by JohnG » April 8, 2016, 11:31 pm

Udon Map wrote:You're close.
Well that's a little awkward, since we are both saying a broadly similar thing as far as what's possible is concerned - it's possible to do everything with one Will even if you have assets in different countries (even though we have a difference of opinion over whether the original Will may be required). Where we seem to have a major difference of opinion, though, is over what's preferable.
Udon Map wrote: You do have to "obtain probate" (not the way it's usually said, but I understand what you mean)
We must be divided by a common language. "Obtaining probate" is the term used by HM Courts and Tribunals Service who are responsible for granting probate so I imagine they know the way it's usually said, at least in the UK: http://www.probateforms.info/wp-content ... eaflet.pdf !
Udon Map wrote: But you only file the will once. If you are the Executor of the will, the court where you file it will give you a certified (usually with a raised seal which is sometimes gold) Appointment (that's what it's called in the U.S., but may be called something else other places) as Executor. You get as many of those original certified Appointments as you need.
They're called Grants of Representation in the UK and most English speaking countries.

That is one way of obtaining probate as I have already clearly said ( "It's possible to do it with one will") but it is only one way and it is the most inefficient, time consuming and expensive way with no advantages over the alternative.
Udon Map wrote: In foreign jurisdictions/countries, you may have to take that Appointment to a local court which will issue a local Appointment (or equivalent) to you, which will similarly serve as your authority to marshall the assets of the probate estate in that jurisdiction or country.
For "may have to take that Appointment to a local court" read "will have to take that Appointment to a local court".

For "which will issue a local Appointment (or equivalent) to you" read "which may issue a local Appointment (or equivalent) to you".

The problem is that while the system you detail works within some countries, as many have similar rules for wills and apply similar standards when granting probate, the reality is that it simply doesn't work in all countries for very obvious reasons - while probate granted in the UK or USA, for example, may be seen as 'above board' by many others, many countries who are rather lower down the corruption index may not have the same credibility. Executors granted an Appointment / Grant of Representation from the USA or the UK may have no problem getting it approved in Angola or Afghanistan, but the same may not be true in reverse - particularly if it turned out, for example, that the original Appointment was made not according to a Will but Sharia Law.
Udon Map wrote:I've never heard of getting the original will back. It stays on file in the court where you filed it for a number of reasons, including to prevent it from being lost or misplaced, whether intentionally or otherwise.
Exactly why I said it can take a court order to get the original Will back, which some countries will insist on if they do not trust that the country granting the Appointment / Grant of Probate has done so based on a legal and valid Will.

[/quote]Well, as I said, you're close. You only need one will; but you do have to open a probate estate in every jurisdiction/country in which assets are located.[/quote]

Well, you're "close" in as much as you're correct about what you "need" but you could hardly be wider of the mark in terms of what's the cheapest, simplest and most effective option.

It is usually accepted or assumed (apparently including by you) that Probate is governed by International Law like marriage. Wrong on all counts!! The Hague Marriage Convention has been signed by six countries but ratified by only three of those signatories. The Convention providing a Uniform Law on the Form of an International Will actually beats that as it has been signed by 18 but only ratified by 11 - the USA and the UK are among the signatories but neither has ratified it. There is no obligation on any countries other than the 11 who have ratified it (Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Canada, Cyprus, Ecuador, France, Italy, Libya, Niger, Portugal, and Slovenia) and to a lesser extent the 7 who have signed it (the Holy See, Iran, Laos, the Russian Federation, Sierra Leone, the United Kingdom, and the United States) to recognise any other country's Appointment / Grant of Probate. None at all.

Anyone with property in more than one country has two main options with their wills:

Option One (Yours):

One Will. Rely on one will and at best you will still have to apply for probate in every country /jurisdiction where the estate has property which, as it is based on another country's Appointment / Grant of Probate rather than an original Will will take longer (see link above). The Appointment / Grant may often routinely have to be verified by that country's embassy in the original country which will involve considerable extra time and expense paying the embassy's legal fees and the Appointment / Grant could be rejected depending on where it is from and the Court may insist on the original will which will involve a Court Order in that country to get it. At worst, having done all that, the Court may reject the Will as not legally valid or binding and impose whatever set inheritance laws apply in that country as if there was no will and the author died intestate.

Option Two (Mine):

A number of Original Copies. When signing and having your will witnessed make an identical "Original Copy" for each country where you have property and use that Original Will to apply for and obtain probate in each country. No delays in getting probate, no extra expense with lawyers or embassies. If your property is in, say, six different countries then you and your witnesses need to sign an extra five times - hardly comparable in terms of cost, time and effort.

Up to you.

JohnG
udonmap.com

Post by JohnG » April 8, 2016, 11:38 pm

Nigglyb wrote:Well I'm not interested in another of your walls of words......... :sleepy: Good luck to anyone else who want to read this.
Before I go, I have to ask, do you leave skid marks from all the u turns you make in your "alleged" informative posts?
You may have nothing worth leaving to anyone but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that some here may be interested not only in what you "need" to do to minimise legal costs and expenses and simplify things for your executor but also what you can do.

Oh, and before you go, please point out a "u turn" I have made here. [-X Just one would be nice.

JohnG
udonmap.com

Post by JohnG » April 8, 2016, 11:48 pm

maaka wrote:agree with Red Dog in most...your overseas Executor thingy wont mean naff all here under Thai law, unless your apply to Thai Court to have it validated...cant see a thai bank handing over a deceased funds because your waving an English Probate Authority thingy....when in Rome..yes an the original is held by the Public Trust Office..not the lawyer, in NZ
Equally if not more importantly, can you see a NZ or US bank handing over funds because you're waving a Thai Probate Authority thingy?

Or (as I know from personal very expensive experience, but not at my expense) a UK Probate Office just handing over a Grant of Probate on being given a Thai Probate Authority thingy?

There is a very simple alternative .....

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » April 9, 2016, 12:31 am

JohnG wrote: You may have nothing worth leaving to anyone but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that some here may be interested not only in what you "need" to do to minimise legal costs and expenses and simplify things for your executor but also what you can do.

Oh, and before you go, please point out a "u turn" I have made here. [-X Just one would be nice.
Hehe, I'm still here oh font of all knowledge with regards to construction & legal
I'm not going to entertain you by pointing out any of your u turns as it just feeds your self satisfying agenda, anyway, why should I? If it's that important read your posts from the beginning if your as smart as you think you'll spot them
I have plenty worth to leave my loved ones when the time comes thank you very much & if you think I'm going to take advice from you on a forum you need your bumps read, your reputation precedes you as far as I'm concerned

I've discovered they make a robot so I can continue this conversation if you so wish \:D/
https://youtu.be/PJiRijiLwbQ?list=PLYHI ... B_BdnWprXQ[/youtube]

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » April 9, 2016, 6:29 am

Nigglyb wrote:your reputation precedes you as far as I'm concerned
I'll second that! =D> \:D/ :lol:

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » April 9, 2016, 8:47 am

JohnG wrote:
As for HMRC having a problem tracking your foreign assets, it all depends on what they sre. When a foreigner dies in Thailand, regardless of the will, his bank accounts are frozen automatically until the Embassy gives the all-clear to the bank so it's hardly difficult for them to pass that information on to HMRC or the national equivalent.[/quote wrote:
I have dealt with 3 deaths in Thailand, and not one Bank account here or in England was Frozen, in fact i tried desperately to freeze 2 bank accounts in England ,ONLY to be told that as i wasn't the account holder i could not freeze the accounts Even when pointing out the account holder had died and there was some withdrawals that were not authorised ,

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » April 9, 2016, 9:26 am

Hoopoe wrote:When a foreigner dies in Thailand, regardless of the will, his bank accounts are frozen automatically until the Embassy gives the all-clear
Really John???
Can you please explain how this account freezing actually happens and/or who does it?

What you say is total B/Sh*t.

Governments or Emabaasies don't track banks individual accounts.
Only the banks know their own accounts.
Thousands of banks, millions of accounts.
When someone dies, the account sits idle, forever, or until a time that the bank decides what to do with it. (That, I would actually love to know).

The emabassy has no idea about individual bank accounts, unless you tell them, which I certainly would never do.
Banks don't keep track of deaths, so when someone dies, who notifies the bank and how does anyone know which banks the deceased persons money is anyway. until the will is opened.
Then the person may have some accounts that are not in the will.
They will never be found unless the executor contacts every bank in the world and asks them.
Hardly likely, and what about Tax havens. More confusion.
Then the deceased may have accounts in other names, brother, mother etc.
How does anyone know about them ones???

More of the same crap from the serial pest.
Mick

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 9, 2016, 10:25 am

or even simpler Mickojak

What about joint accounts, where the other account holder can continue to operate the account despite the death of 1 account holder.

The Australian Embassy does NOT approve or authorise the operating of bank accounts held by deceased Australian citizens in Thailand. Their role is limited to notifying NOK and assisting with consular affairs , advising about death certificates etc.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » April 9, 2016, 2:16 pm

Sorry a wall of words which I personally hate, but my experience in the UK...........
I did all the Probate & IHT with HMRC when my parents passed without using any lawyers
Dad died & everything goes to Mum including any unused IHT. Nothing frozen, just had to show banks an original copy of Death Certificate which you can buy as many as you want when registering death at local authority. I think they were about £1.40ea so it hardly breaks the bank & means you can contact everyone simultaneously. IHT forms are a doddle
When Mum died everything passed to me as sole benificiary & executor. Same again with Death Certificates but accounts were frozen as soon as I told banks the holder had passed away except for funeral costs where you have to provide an undertaker pro forma invoice. Applied to Local Probate Office, not even the one where where mum lived, with original copy of the will as I found it (slight hiccup here but it's a different story) & same as Death Certificates, you buy a number of originals. Send these to banks & everything transferred to nominated account which happened to be mine but if funds need distributing they go to a holding account which you access as required. Simples
Now forgive me, but I don't profess to know the rules in Thailand but they operate both official Wills &'their version of probate so short of all the forms probably being in Thai script it shouldn't be too much of a different process should it?

In the UK the only time I had to divulge any foreign assets was on the IHT forms & that was all determined by the criteria I posted earlier in the forum on the HMRC forms. At no time was I "challenged" at the validity of what I wrote down. The banks certainly don't talk to HMRC but I guess there is a risk you could get investigated if the information written down differs significantly to what the deceased tax affairs have been. (the deceased will have probably been completing a Self Assessment unless working then likely to be PAYE before their death) You've got to remember that HMRC information is fundamentally flawed & only based on what they are told. Only a couple of years ago 5m workers got tax demands when HMRC tried to recover their own error from previous years. I've personally had a number of run ins with them over the years but if you are clear & stick to facts they've always been okay for me.
I haven't got a condo so the property is wifey's name & most accounts are joint. My sole accounts will be made joint before my death unless I have an unexpected accident in which case she'll have to do the paperwork excercise with the Thai & UK Lawyers where our Wills are held. I've also got a Tax Accountancy firm on a nominal retainer in the UK as wifey wouldn't stand a chance without a knowledgable friendly face to talk to.

Phewwww, sorry about that. I hope you're all still awake! :sleepy: It took a lot longer when I started typing than I expected & I just realised its actually off topic from original OPs question so sorry about that but it's taken me half an hour to type so I'm going to post it anyway \:D/

JohnG
udonmap.com

Post by JohnG » April 9, 2016, 3:30 pm

Hoopoe wrote:I have dealt with 3 deaths in Thailand, and not one Bank account here or in England was Frozen …
mickojak wrote: Really John???
Can you please explain how this account freezing actually happens and/or who does it?
In hindsight I should have been a lot more more specific to be technically correct and said “When a foreigner dies in Thailand, regardless of the will, his bank accounts where known are now normally frozen automatically until the Embassy gives the all-clear to the bank, so it's hardly difficult for them to pass that information on to HMRC or the national equivalent, or until the deceased's administrator / executor is authorised by the Court

How it "actually happens" is that the police tell the bank (if / when they know) that the account holder is dead and the bank freezes the account, as banks are legally required to do pretty well anywhere once officially notified of an account holder's death. It obviously may not have always happened in the past, but it happens as a matter of increasing routine now that the records of accounts are more readily available and it can all be done automatically by computer.

The reality is that the police can readily “know” since all banks in Thailand are required to give details of all their account holders (and major transactions - 2 mill or over) to AMLO and so once a death is confirmed any accounts held can be easily checked and frozen.

That information is usually passed to the banks routinely by the police supported by a Death Certificate, then the accounts can be accessed legally by the authorized beneficiary rather than having to wait for the Court. It’s a very simple process if you can be bothered to fill in the blank spaces when opening an account.

… and to save someone asking, the authorized beneficiary is usually given when an account is opened, specifically for that purpose.
Hoopoe wrote:… in fact i tried desperately to freeze 2 bank accounts in England ,ONLY to be told that as i wasn't the account holder i could not freeze the accounts Even when pointing out the account holder had died and there was some withdrawals that were not authorised ,
Did you give them an authorized copy of the Death Certificate? … or did you just expect them to take your word for it and freeze someone’s account on your say-so?

Of course banks won’t freeze accounts just because someone tells them the account holder is dead!!!
wazza wrote: What about joint accounts, where the other account holder can continue to operate the account despite the death of 1 account holder.
Completely illegal to do so in nearly all cases, and if the bank know of the death and allow any transactions to take place they can be liable for any withdrawals if any beneficiaries in a Will decide to sue for anything withdrawn once the bank know. Even for the surviving account holder to have unrestricted access which cannot be contested later the account has to be "pay on death" and then closed and the funds transferred to the survivor.
wazza wrote: The Australian Embassy does NOT approve or authorise the operating of bank accounts held by deceased Australian citizens in Thailand. Their role is limited to notifying NOK and assisting with consular affairs , advising about death certificates etc.
If so, that’s entirely their choice - some Embassies do, some don't. Those that do, such as the Swiss Embassy, make life far simpler for authorized beneficiaries of deceased foreign account holders as once the Embassy informs the police and the police inform the bank (which, when I've done it, has taken less than a week from death for the complete process) the authorized beneficiary does not need Court approval to access the deceased’s funds.
mickojak wrote: Then the person may have some accounts that are not in the will.
There is no reason or need for “accounts” to be in a Will; they simply have to be known to the executor so that he can transfer the funds to the beneficiaries.
mickojak wrote: Then the deceased may have accounts in other names, brother, mother etc.
How does anyone know about them ones???
Then they aren’t the deceased’s accounts.
mickojak wrote:When someone dies, the account sits idle, forever, or until a time that the bank decides what to do with it. (That, I would actually love to know).
Depends on the country, but seldom “forever”. In the UK it goes to a central fund after 15 years of being “dormant”; in the US its 3 to 5 years, depending on the state; in Australia it goes to ASIC after three years (although it may now be seven, as I think it was changed last year). In all those cases, and as far as I know in most, the account holders or their executors if they are deceased, can get the funds released but I know it can take months.
mickojak wrote:. Only the banks know their own accounts. Thousands of banks, millions of accounts.
That is niave almost beyond belief in the 21st century.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 9, 2016, 4:07 pm

This is hilarious, there is NO way that the resident know all will let anyone get the last word in.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » April 9, 2016, 4:40 pm

Barney wrote:This is hilarious, there is NO way that the resident know all will let anyone get the last word in.
Fun isn't it
I'm at a real loose end this weekend so just hope the thread keeps going as the hours will pass with this entertainment \:D/

JohnG
udonmap.com

Post by JohnG » April 9, 2016, 4:47 pm

Nigglyb wrote:Now forgive me, but I don't profess to know the rules in Thailand but they operate both official Wills &'their version of probate so short of all the forms probably being in Thai script it shouldn't be too much of a different process should it?
Beyond naïve … Simply unbelievable ... 'the UK does it this way, so I'm assuming Thailand does it the same way' :confused:
Nigglyb wrote: The banks certainly don't talk to HMRC …
For once, words fail even me. What time warp are you living in?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... olders.pdf

If you are a UK tax resident and you hold an account in another country then HMRC will receive information about you. This will include details about account balances and sums paid to accounts (for example, interest and dividends, or from the sale of investments).

If you are a tax resident of another country with which the UK has agreed to exchange information then your account provider will forward information about your account to HMRC, and HMRC will pass the information to your country of tax residence. .....

Information collected by UK financial account providers will be sent to HMRC. HMRC will share information with the tax authority of another country (where we have signed an agreement with them or where there is a European Union requirement to do so) if the account is held by one of their tax residents. In turn, HMRC will receive information about UK tax residents who hold accounts outside of the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... style.html

The software, called "Connect", has been developed at a cost of £80m over seven years. Its basic job is to scour vast databanks of personal and commercial information, seeking to unearth links between individual taxpayers and businesses, income, assets and transactions.

One of Connect's biggest jobs is to hunt for income disparities. It will process information about your bank account balances and income, and match this with other information ...

From next year Connect's powers will extend further still. September 2016 is when HMRC starts having access to files held by banks and other financial firms based in British overseas territories, such as the Channel Islands; and from 2017 Connect goes truly global with access to data in a further 60 countries....

This is likely to become far more of an issue in the next two years as other countries' tax systems integrate their own versions of Connect with ours, to facilitate what one commentator has dubbed "a global swapshop of everyone's personal financial data." From 2016 financial institutions in British Overseas Territorities will share data with HMRC. From 2017, this extends to 60 other OECD countries and by 2020 virtually all countries will have some form of data-sharing agreement in place.

As well as the CRS, information is also shared under GATCA and FATCA which Thailand signed up to last month (4 March 2016).
Nigglyb wrote: I haven't got a condo so the property is wifey's name & most accounts are joint. My sole accounts will be made joint before my death unless I have an unexpected accident in which case she'll have to do the paperwork excercise with the Thai & UK Lawyers where our Wills are held. …
Joint accounts in Thailand can be a problem as most banks will refuse to accept cheques / transfers made out in only one account holder’s name.

The simple option is to complete the authorized beneficiary section when opening an account … but some people just don’t want to know the simple option and don't care if they make things complicated for other people …
:confused:

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”