Has anyone got a pond vac?

General Udon Thani topics only!
cambsangler
udonmap.com

Post by cambsangler » July 6, 2016, 10:19 pm

Has anyone in the Udon area got a pond vac that they would be willing to lend or loan for 1 day?

I have a fairly small ornamental pond that needs a quick clean out - about 45-60 minutes work at the most but a pond vac is the only way to clean it.

If anyone can help, please PM me.

Thanks in advance

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » July 7, 2016, 1:51 am

Ask one of the local dschau naa - rice peasants - that still do the rice in their paddies with a walk-behind tractor. They all have have a archimedes screw that they use to pump out the water in their paddies. Not very expensive to hire them.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » July 7, 2016, 7:45 pm

It's not the water he wants to remove - it is the mud.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 7, 2016, 8:11 pm

Chop the bottom off an empty wash up liquid bottle. Attach piece of hose pipe to top. finger over other end of pipe whilst filling bottle and pipe with water. place bottle into pond and release finger from other end ......bob's yer uncle a cheap syphon vac for small ponds and fish tanks

cambsangler
udonmap.com

Post by cambsangler » July 7, 2016, 10:09 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Chop the bottom off an empty wash up liquid bottle. Attach piece of hose pipe to top. finger over other end of pipe whilst filling bottle and pipe with water. place bottle into pond and release finger from other end ......bob's yer uncle a cheap syphon vac for small ponds and fish tanks
It's a cheap option for sure but one that will extract too much water. I need to get rid of some sludge on the bottom and a way to return the water to the pond in the same process, a pond vac enables me to do that, the siphon option does not.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 8, 2016, 6:20 am

You can use the siphon system if you just siphon the water into a bucket and then return the water to the pond. You can also siphon the water into a strainer (fine wire mesh) lined with glass wool or cotton from a pet shop which is used in aquarium filters. Hold the strainer over the pond while you siphon and the water will never leave the pond. However, the simplest method would be to just go buy a pond filer which sits in the water and will continuously filter the water and eliminate the problem completely.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”