Songkran

General Udon Thani topics only!
oldfield

Songkran

Post by oldfield » April 8, 2007, 10:08 am

I know the 'official' songkran 'festival' is from 13 - 17 April this year, but when do they start throwing water.

I have a feeling things start getting going around the 11th or 12th.

I need to know so I can plan how much food etc. to buy in. (So I don't have to leave my room).

Let's see now.....

Computer working....check
UBC paid.....check
Good book to read.....check

Fridge stocked.......not yet

I'm nearly ready for lockdown.

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » April 8, 2007, 10:18 am

Water starts about the 13th - hits the maximum volume on the 15th if memory serves me correct.
Ain't Easy Being Me

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 8, 2007, 12:03 pm

Better yet!Buy some flower shirts,get some water,powder and a dipping bowl and go out and enjoy participating with the family groups or older Thais .Stay away from the areas with teenagers.Stay off the highways.Get involved with your local neighborhood.Songkran can be fun or it can be a pain.Up to U!

oldfield

Post by oldfield » April 8, 2007, 7:37 pm

BKKSTAN wrote:Better yet!Buy some flower shirts,get some water,powder and a dipping bowl and go out and enjoy participating with the family groups or older Thais .Stay away from the areas with teenagers.Stay off the highways.Get involved with your local neighborhood.Songkran can be fun or it can be a pain.Up to U!
That's the funniest thing I've heard all day - IF ONLY IT HAPPENED LIKE THIS.

Hello!!!!

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 8, 2007, 11:20 pm

Oldfield,I guess you are not comfortable with your local neighborhood to enjoy the sharing with ''friends''.I have experienced both situations in Thailand.I lived for 2 years on Charansanitwong 85 in Bangkok,which is an enclave surrounding a Wat.I was the only falang living in the neighborhood and I had a wonderful time with the neighborhood Songkran activities!
It was when I left the neighborhood and I was among strangers that the negative actions were experienced!
I had 4 Songkran experiences around the last Bangkok neighborhood,Sumkunvit 36.that I was unable to enjoy because of the lack of ''a friendly neighborhood feel''.We spent those weeks in the condo compound swimming and basically staying home as it was perilous to attempt going anywhere!
In Nong Khai for 3 years,we don't have the neighborhood connection to share and enjoy Songkran,but we have found very little ''negative'' experiences here.
If you don't have a connection with the neighborhood and your outings will bring dangerous /harmful acts by the locals,then I agree,by all means ,stock up and huddle down at home!
Might be because Nong Khai is a small community,that relative immunity is not felt by those that would use vandalous behavior or outright disrespect,so it doesn't seem to happen here.I don't know!I have found that when the locals see a falang driving here,only a few will water and powder your vehicle,choosing to focus on those that are focusing on them with their play! :)
Hope everyone has a safe and fun Songkran!

oldfield

Post by oldfield » April 9, 2007, 1:58 pm

I have never experienced really 'negative' actions that you mention or that I have heard about at Songkran.

I just don't like walking/riding whatever down the street and hearing FALANG, FALANG and then being attacked by a group of people throwing/spraying water over you, and rubbing talcum powder in your face/hair/eyes, only for it to happen again 2 minutes later, and again, and again. Not my idea of fun.

I guess it's because I'm not a drinker so it doesn't have the appeal. Things always seem more fun when you're drunk don't they?

Incidentally, I'm not the only person who feels this way it seems :-k

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 9, 2007, 2:06 pm

:D Well,I,m not much of a drinker!But ,as I said before,it makes a difference if you are amongst people that know you and are friendly!

Hey,I am the guy that never ever goes out amongst the drinking crowd on American New Years Eve!But that is only for a night.Songkran drags on and can be a pain in the butt! :lol:

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » April 9, 2007, 3:12 pm

You guys are sounding like a bunch of old fuddy-duddies - to a degree. :lol: True - I don't like getting the ice water on me but can tolerate a bit of it and the talcum powder here and there in the spirit of things. If you notice - all of the older Thais seem to avoid the younger populated areas. The water thing - the the extent that it exists today is for the young people. The older people go to the Wat and participate in the respectful water and talcum powder sports.

Last year I was in a small village and participated in that segment of Songkran. Same with the previous two years.

Last year, after the sedate ceremony - we loaded up my truck with barrels of water and 25 yo and younger kids and headed off for Nong Khai where we drove up and down the strip so the kids could have their fun whilst I, my friend, and two of the older aunts enjoyed it all in air conditioned comfort.

I have also found that if one of us older people - a role that I can play quite well :D sees that water might be imminent - all you need to do is point to the potential thrower and shake your head "no." They understand, and will respect you. The worst that happens at that point is that they will come and sprinkle you with a bit of water and pat you with a bit of talcum powder.

The ones that I feel sorry for are the tuk-tuk drivers.
Ain't Easy Being Me

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » April 9, 2007, 4:27 pm

I must admit to a few drinks, but dont find it that appealing especially when trying to do business or shopping. But I must agree with Doc, had a great day with the kids once, bought them all water pistols and had a real hoot. I use the pickup now so problem solved! :razz:

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 10, 2007, 3:05 pm

i avoid it in udon thani, try my best to be out on holiday during songkran. why? came to udon today and in my village they already started throwing water, tomorrow it will be worst. thankfully i'm in a car. one or two days is fine, i even join in one day, but it's gets very old very fast. everywhere, and i mean everywhere else i have been, celebrate one or two days, very enjoyable, sensible and safe. here there is no concern for common sense and safety.

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » April 10, 2007, 3:28 pm

I know it will be heavy traffic around and near Nong Prajak, especially in front of Pop Pop's internet shop. I will join in as the TW and daughter will be taking care of things while I enjoy myself. I will be stocking up on some Leo :drunk: that is for sure, wonder how much a keg of Leo :yikes: would cost me???? If anyone cares too, come tuk tuk very recommended, and join in the fun :guitar: here at Pop Pop's.

Pop's :pirate:

oldfield

Post by oldfield » April 10, 2007, 3:45 pm

You're in a perfect location Pop's.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » April 10, 2007, 7:01 pm

Authority pose ban on the use of colored chalks to celebrate Songkran Festival

The Office of the Consumer Protection Board (OCPB) is calling on the public not to use powder and colored chalks during Songkran festivities this year.

OCBP Secretary Rassamee Wisawathawet (รัศมี วิศทเวทย์) encourageed people to stick to Thai traditional water-splashing traditions when celebrating Songkran. This year, the authority has campaigned against the use of colored chalks as they might contain heavy metal substances as an element. The substances might cause irritation to the skin and inflammation to the eye.

According to the secretary, the authorities will enforce a ban on sidewalk vendors selling colored chalks and high-pressure water guns. Those who violate the ban will be fined a maximum of 2,000 baht.

The secretary also calls for people who attended Songkran activities to dress properly and beware of their belongings.
so much for the 500.000baht fine for the water guns.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » April 10, 2007, 7:53 pm

Does anyone have a shedule? I remember Val posted it a few days ago but I can't find it. Is there a parade tommorow? And if so what time? Thanks.

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » April 10, 2007, 8:15 pm

Just give us down Under some of you water

Water restrictions level 5 now in place, wost on record
Master Builder

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » April 10, 2007, 8:51 pm

lee wrote:Does anyone have a shedule? I remember Val posted it a few days ago but I can't find it. Is there a parade tommorow? And if so what time? Thanks.
I believe that the parade is on Wednesday at about 1500 hours.
Ain't Easy Being Me

Harry1534
udonmap.com

Post by Harry1534 » April 10, 2007, 10:46 pm

I'm not really looking for any kind of sympathy on here...but pity the poor TP volunteers.....we have to report for duty on the 13th in full uniform at 0700 to be driven up to Nong Khai to help tourists in trouble during the festivities......tourists in trouble??? It'll be us that needs the help!!

As I said....I'm not looking for any sympathy.....just a supply of towels and maybe a change of clothes or seven!!

Anyone got any spare plastic bags?
Life's a beach.

oldfield

Post by oldfield » April 11, 2007, 1:48 pm

Harry1534 wrote:I'm not really looking for any kind of sympathy on here...but pity the poor TP volunteers.....we have to report for duty on the 13th in full uniform at 0700 to be driven up to Nong Khai to help tourists in trouble during the festivities......tourists in trouble??? It'll be us that needs the help!!

As I said....I'm not looking for any sympathy.....just a supply of towels and maybe a change of clothes or seven!!

Anyone got any spare plastic bags?
How are gonna keep an eye on the forum while you're up there?

Or are the plastic bags for keeping your laptop dry??? =D>

Harry1534
udonmap.com

Post by Harry1534 » April 11, 2007, 9:32 pm

Wow. Sarcasm. Brilliant. Such wit.
Life's a beach.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » April 12, 2007, 10:11 am

ah, last day before all the fun begins. Big shopping day planned, then button down the hatches :lol:

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”