Which road would you pick?

General Udon Thani topics only!
hairyharry
udonmap.com

Which road would you pick?

Post by hairyharry » September 29, 2016, 7:55 am

How many of us have thought about doing something similar?

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-37485461

Which road in the province would you target?

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Which road would you pick?

Post by parrot » September 29, 2016, 8:17 am

Easy! SW ring road, between airport and KK Hwy intersection. It's the road of shame.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » September 29, 2016, 8:50 am

Agree with parrot. The recently constructed section (headed east-southeast) towards Hwy 2 is dangerous and has been breaking up since completion. The other lane (headed west-northwest) towards Hwys 210 & 216 is okay. That is the resurfaced section of the previous (old) ring road. Repairs and resurfacing are currently underway and additional precautions should be taken if using this section of highway.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 29, 2016, 8:57 am

hairyharry wrote:How many of us have thought about doing something similar?

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-37485461

Which road in the province would you target?

ehrm .... can't say it actually crossed my mind 'arry :-k

BTW if you ARE thinking about it, could you give advanced warning so as we can leave TV etc off for a day or two just in case someone films the horror show :-& :yikes:

Think my recommendation would be the road to my in laws village.
They have just widened and repaired the road from Nong Han to Kumphawapi (dueling it in places) and then you turn off to the village, and its 4 km of uninterrupted potholes accross the whole road, (so no driving round them), some an inch or two deep some 6+ inches deep it's a guessing game as they are filled with water most of the time. After giving your cars suspension a thorough test you arrive near the first village and there is a nice sign on the side of the road accompanied by beautifully tarmaced road with perfect white lines which take you the next 2km to, and through to the other villages. This new road was done a few months ago. and then the roadworkers have not been seen since. Can't see any point in doing this work if they are not going to join the two sections of road up as virtually every vehicle in the area will be people visiting that have to pass over the 4k of potholes to get there. I'm sure there MUST be some Thai logic somewhere, but at the moment the only ones to benefit from the expense of laying several KM of good quality road are the local baffalos who wont tread in a pothole when being taken to the fields [-X

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » September 30, 2016, 6:04 am

I think this is an impossible question to answer as there are soooooooo many roads in serious disrepair and dangerous just in Udon Thani province alone.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 30, 2016, 7:09 am

fdimike wrote:I think this is an impossible question to answer as there are soooooooo many roads in serious disrepair and dangerous just in Udon Thani province alone.
It is not just that ,it is the way after repairing a road it immediately the after a very short period of time starts to fall into disrepair because it is obvious that the repairer has NOT done what they were supposed to do. What is worse is that the Government agency overseeing the so-called repair never leaves the office to find out what is going on , which is it seems the normal practice of Government employees, of never checking .

Due to the way Thailand deals with problems using the ostrich syndrome, the office that accepts complaints seems not to exist and the should you damage your vehicle due to the state of the road , you have no chance of getting satisfaction because of course it will be your fault as you would expect.

There is a road between Nongnakham and Ban Non Sai that every year gets repaired and I can almost state within a few days when it almost immediately starts to deteriorate. This has happened over the last 14 odd years, why you may very well ask, the foundations for the road are poor to almost non-existent, the repairer supposedly uses road making materials which are either poor quality or non -existent, covered over with a beautiful layer of tarmac, which looks excellent. but underneath work has already started to destroy the road again. if they had bothered to do it right , then judging by the traffic flow etc, it would still be in good repair, well certainly better than it is now and it will get worse, before it gets repaired again for the 15th year and then every year thereafter ad infinitum.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 30, 2016, 8:31 am

If they built the da*n roads properly in the first place KP, there would be hundreds and hundreds of "Repair gangs" unemployed and having to go abroad to find work, and the .go would need to "seasonally adjust" the unemployment figures more than they do already

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 30, 2016, 9:04 am

Yep that is probably true, plus putting out of work all those second rate mickey mouse vehicle repairers that botch the repairs as well. Second thoughts do not bother to repair anything , helps to keep the uneducated and the illiterate in work I suppose !!!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 30, 2016, 11:48 am

and what does the Rural Roads Department do actually?? I know they have one huge compound on Rte 22 about 6km east from Big C and there's another one down near Non Soong.. You'd think that they must have responsibility for doing something on rural roads wouldn't you?
Dave

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » September 30, 2016, 11:56 am

FrazeeDK wrote:and what does the Rural Roads Department do actually?? I know they have one huge compound on Rte 22 about 6km east from Big C and there's another one down near Non Soong.. You'd think that they must have responsibility for doing something on rural roads wouldn't you?
I bet that they were the ones who cleared all the downed trees and brush off route 22 eastbound between Udon and Nong Han yesterday morning after the predawn storm which brought so much down.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 30, 2016, 1:05 pm

Udon Map wrote:I bet that they were the ones who cleared all the downed trees and brush off route 22 eastbound between Udon and Nong Han yesterday morning after the predawn storm which brought so much down.

Yep. Saw it on my ride to SakNak. Had to use one side of the highway for two-lane traffic. What a mess. It was cleared by the time I returned to UTH at lunch time.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”