Hernia Op - Military Hospital

General Udon Thani topics only!
vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: Hernia Op - Military Hospital

Post by vincemunday » August 29, 2019, 2:47 pm

TJ wrote:
August 29, 2019, 12:34 pm
Quoting the cost of a serious medical treatment or operation would be welcome information. This might prove useful to me and perhaps others who vacation in Thailand and often take advantage of the opportunity of using the inexpensive and good quality Thai medical and dental services.

I've been having my dental work done in Thailand for a decade or two, finding the experience pleasant and at half the cost of what U.S. dentist might charge. I have had ear and eye examinations in Thailand done cheaply which I might otherwise have delayed after contemplating U.S. prices.

My last visit with my U.S. family doctor cost me about 7500 baht. This involved checking my weight, pricking a finger to get a drop of blood to examine, and having a ten minute discussion about my health.

My brother recently had a simple appendectomy, was in and out the same day. The charge for the operation was about $15,000 or equal to about 450,000 baht. What might it have cost at a Thai hospital?

I have very good medical insurance and pay a small fraction of U.S. medical charges. But my hope of retiring to Thailand is dampened when I contemplate that I would have to pay all Thai medical services in full. Information about the high cost of very serious medical treatments is of interest to me and likely to others. As I am in my seventies, I doubt that I am qualified to purchase any Thai medical insurance.

Thanks for any such information.
I recently had a full health check at the general hospital which included blood, stool, urine, chest xray, ecg and diabetes checks etc and they charged me 1200baht and I was in an out very quickly, superb service.

The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » August 29, 2019, 3:04 pm

DuiDui49 wrote:
August 29, 2019, 10:32 am
We recommend reaching a BMI of less than 35 prior to hernia repair.
Source:Weight Loss before Hernia Repair Surgery - University of Michigan

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 1dXnVLwb_4

..it's a PDF file for download..
DUI DUI,interested to know if you went ahead with your hernia op,if so could you share your experience,thanks

degilbo
udonmap.com

Post by degilbo » August 29, 2019, 3:06 pm

Hi DuiDui49

I see earlier in this thread Jan 2017 that you were looking at a Hernia procedure for yourself.

If you went ahead with the operation would appreciate name to surgeon etc.

As stated previously doing a little research for a friend before he makes trip into town.

All assistance appreciated.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » August 30, 2019, 8:50 am

Morning !

Yes,i went to AEK and had mine done.Everything very Proffessionaly taken care of.I've tryed to find the Medical papers including my Dr's name but failed.He is a younger Dr.age around 40 and speaks good English.Very very nice man indeed.Took care of me in the best possible way,as did AEK Udon staff.My Insurance payed for this but i happened to see the Invocice accepted by Insurance Comp to pay out...65.000 + 16.000..two nights at AEK..painmeds..pain not bad other then the first day.

He said to me that he ONLY work at AEK Hospital,that's it.If i find the name of my Doc.i will edit my post to include that.

Have a good day..:-)

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » January 24, 2022, 7:02 am

Where in Udon can they perform Laparoscopic Surgery for Inguinal or Groin hernia?

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » January 24, 2022, 11:05 am

vincemunday wrote:
August 29, 2019, 2:47 pm
TJ wrote:
August 29, 2019, 12:34 pm
Quoting the cost of a serious medical treatment or operation would be welcome information. This might prove useful to me and perhaps others who vacation in Thailand and often take advantage of the opportunity of using the inexpensive and good quality Thai medical and dental services.

I've been having my dental work done in Thailand for a decade or two, finding the experience pleasant and at half the cost of what U.S. dentist might charge. I have had ear and eye examinations in Thailand done cheaply which I might otherwise have delayed after contemplating U.S. prices.

My last visit with my U.S. family doctor cost me about 7500 baht. This involved checking my weight, pricking a finger to get a drop of blood to examine, and having a ten minute discussion about my health.

My brother recently had a simple appendectomy, was in and out the same day. The charge for the operation was about $15,000 or equal to about 450,000 baht. What might it have cost at a Thai hospital?

I have very good medical insurance and pay a small fraction of U.S. medical charges. But my hope of retiring to Thailand is dampened when I contemplate that I would have to pay all Thai medical services in full. Information about the high cost of very serious medical treatments is of interest to me and likely to others. As I am in my seventies, I doubt that I am qualified to purchase any Thai medical insurance.

Thanks for any such information.
I recently had a full health check at the general hospital which included blood, stool, urine, chest xray, ecg and diabetes checks etc and they charged me 1200baht and I was in an out very quickly, superb service.
In and out very quickly might not be the best way to treat a health check Vince. You are the Moderator for another Udon Falang Forum and there are some pretty damning comments from a very qualified Australian Doctor about just how accurate these tests are. You pays your money and takes your chances I suppose.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » January 25, 2022, 1:28 am

I've had two hernia repairs; one at Nocton Hall and the other at Doctor Grays in Elgin. I got the scars to prove it but it didn't stop me getting into the Home Guard.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » January 25, 2022, 10:09 am

Keyhole surgery not available at Wattana. I checked this morning during my daily NP walk. My last hernia op was at AEK 15 years ago, also not keyhole.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » May 13, 2022, 8:05 am

Had my 2nd hernia operation Wednesday. All OK. The Military Hospital was a good experience. The staff are efficient and the care is good. The facilities are old, but clean. Total cost approximately 28k. My last hernia operation (15 yrs ago) at AEK cost 77k.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » May 13, 2022, 9:58 pm

I, Like Phil, had the "inguinal" operation at the military hospital.
About two years ago.I never had a private room, In a ward with all the old buggers!....Cheek!
Spinal injection,Within 5 minutes half your body turns to stone!
Really painless. Out in two days, 13,000 baht.
I also had hernia the other side of my groin.But this time went to the General hospital.
This was a nightmare! They dont give s**t about patients !
Unlike my OP at the military hospital I was in so much pain. I could not stand up!
When I tried, I was called a baby, and dramatizing!
When the feelings came back I see I had peed the bed.
I told the nurse but left me in it for three hours! I had to call my wife to tell them clean up!
This was ward four, The toilet was absolutely filthy! Food disgusting!
Out and out, Very unprofessional. Cost was 30.000 baht
Hosp.jpg
Hosp.jpg
hosp 3.jpg
Attachments
Hosp2.jpg

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » May 14, 2022, 5:47 am

choi choi wrote:
May 13, 2022, 9:58 pm
I, Like Phil, had the "inguinal" operation at the military hospital.
About two years ago.I never had a private room, In a ward with all the old buggers!....Cheek!
Spinal injection,Within 5 minutes half your body turns to stone!
Really painless. Out in two days, 13,000 baht.
I also had hernia the other side of my groin.But this time went to the General hospital.
This was a nightmare! They dont give s**t about patients !
Unlike my OP at the military hospital I was in so much pain. I could not stand up!
When I tried, I was called a baby, and dramatizing!
When the feelings came back I see I had peed the bed.
I told the nurse but left me in it for three hours! I had to call my wife to tell them clean up!
This was ward four, The toilet was absolutely filthy! Food disgusting!
Out and out, Very unprofessional. Cost was 30.000 bahtHosp.jpgHosp.jpghosp 3.jpg
My question is.Why did you change Hospital,when Military Hospital took so good care of you the first time,and much cheaper too.

//Alfie..:-)

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 14, 2022, 6:20 am

Pre-Covid I had a family member in the general hospital with an alarming and painful infection in her leg. She was told if the leg didn't start to improve within 2 days amputation might be necessary. I thought the care and treatment was good. The family member was in a general ward. I offered to pay to put her in her own room but when told her doctor and nurses would change she preferred to stay in the general ward. She was there a while and would shout her nurses a coffee or drink every day. Perhaps that helped.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 15, 2022, 6:40 am

i don't recall ever hearing a bad review from the
military hospital. those costs ridiculous cheap too

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”