Hernia Op - Military Hospital

General Udon Thani topics only!
Philrjones
udonmap.com

Hernia Op - Military Hospital

Post by Philrjones » December 30, 2016, 12:02 pm

Hi,
Just in case anyone is interested/needs something similar - I had a hernia op at the military hospital last week and stitches out yesterday. Still a bit sore, but coming good now.

I stayed for 2 nights in a private room and all up the operation and stay cost 18,500 baht. Initial consultation was 50 baht, then a few more hundred for different things.

All in all I can really recommend the place. Good doctor who spoke English as well. Nurses were great, food was pretty good. Chose it over Bangkok Hospital due to price.

Cheers

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Re: Hernia Op - Military Hospital

Post by DuiDui49 » December 30, 2016, 1:35 pm

Hi !

Have a few Q:s if you don't mind me asking.

I assume you had a groin hernia..correct?

How long did you have to wait for the surgery after first consultation

What kind of sedation did yopu get..could you choose?

How long did you have your for..Big or small...painfull or like mine..not painful..

Do you have the name of your Doc?I'm opting for Military H.too..

Mesh or cut open?

Feel free to PM me answers if not willing to post it here in the thread.

Thanks in advance..

Philrjones
udonmap.com

Post by Philrjones » December 30, 2016, 5:44 pm

Hi, don't mind at all.
At the first consultation, it was 4 weeks to the op. The only reason it was so long was that the doc was booked up before then, otherwise it would have been a week or two.
Yes groin hernia.
I didn't choose the type of sedation. I got the one in the lower spine (epidural?). Only a slight pinch to start but during the op I didn't feel a thing, and i mean nothing! I thought i would and was even waiting for them to start when the nurse said, it's nearly finished!
I got cold though. They turn the air right down to counter any bugs. But they covered my head a bit and had a heater ready to go.

Before the op mine wasn't painful, just uncomfortable. If it's painful then get there asap. They kept asking me if it was painful.

I also had a load of blood work done checking for all sorts which came out great, so that's good. Blood pressure is spot on too. Gave up smoking which is another plus.

I'll get the docs name when the wife is in. It's in thai and i can't read it. Very helpful if you take a thai partner along to speak with admin, nurses etc.

The op was open cut and then they put a barrier mesh thing inside the muscle with dissolvable stiches. The stiches i had out yesterday were just the externals.

Been to the hospital again today. They changed the dressing, cleaned up. Last visit tomorrow. Today was 120 baht and it's done via emergency room.

Hope that helps. As far as the docs go, they seem to have 2 english speaking docs who do this operation. I'll post my docs name when i get it.

Yes i was a bit nervous before going for the initial check, but it's been great all the way through. Glad to have it done and dusted now. Got about 1 month of not lifting something heavy. Doc says light exercise only for the month. Walking etc.
Cheers
Phil
Last edited by Philrjones on December 30, 2016, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philrjones
udonmap.com

Post by Philrjones » December 30, 2016, 5:51 pm

The wife says his name is Sittanon. She says they have 3 or 4 docs do the same op and can speak english, so i don't think you'll have any problems. Glad the wife was with me for some of the nurses though, although quite a few can speak basic english.

Philrjones
udonmap.com

Post by Philrjones » December 30, 2016, 6:04 pm

Oh i don't think the stitches inside dissolve as that would be useless! Doh!

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » December 30, 2016, 7:28 pm

Excellent info,spot on AND i got the Doc's name too.

I went there maybe 6 month ago,saw an older no English speaking Doc,he and i didn't click at all.I had a few Q:s for him to answer..after the second one he just stood up and said...-You want surgery or not..in Thai..nedless to say i didn't feel good after that meeting at all...He riding on his high horses..me just a Farang...Well,it's time for me..THIS year for sure,had my hernia now for ten years..It's so big now so i need a wheelbarrow to carry it around in..just joking ;)

Thank you so much for answering my Q:s,get well my friend and i wish you and your wife a HAPPY NEW (PAINLESS)YEAR.

Philrjones
udonmap.com

Post by Philrjones » December 30, 2016, 7:49 pm

The wife just told me that another doc there who also speaks english is Dr. Apichard. At least that's what it sounds like. Good luck mate. Yes after so long, get it sorted. It'll do you the world of good.
Have a great 2017!

Philrjones
udonmap.com

Post by Philrjones » December 30, 2016, 7:56 pm

Wife just reminded me that the docs name i gave, Sittanon said he studied at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia. I remember that now and was happy to have as my doc. That's also why the english is good. Plus he's got a sense of humour which always helps!

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » January 1, 2017, 7:16 am

Ask your wife if Drs. Sittanon and Apichard have clinics in town. Thank you.

Philrjones
udonmap.com

Post by Philrjones » January 1, 2017, 9:16 am

Hi Mak - she doesn't know if they've a clinic in town, sorry.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » January 1, 2017, 11:19 am

Hi "mak" !

Is it time for you too to have a groin hernia surgery ?..If so,maybe we can ask for a disscount ;-)
mak wrote:Ask your wife if Drs. Sittanon and Apichard have clinics in town. Thank you.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » January 1, 2017, 11:55 am

Greetings 2017..Forgot to ask WHAT DAYS he's working to come and visit him.Maybe even a mobile number..

//TIA..

Philrjones wrote:Wife just reminded me that the docs name i gave, Sittanon said he studied at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia. I remember that now and was happy to have as my doc. That's also why the english is good. Plus he's got a sense of humour which always helps!

JR
udonmap.com

Post by JR » January 1, 2017, 5:11 pm

Philrjones. How much did it cost?

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » January 1, 2017, 5:15 pm

I stayed for 2 nights in a private room and all up the operation and stay cost 18,500 baht. Initial consultation was 50 baht, then a few more hundred for different things.

JR
udonmap.com

Post by JR » January 1, 2017, 8:27 pm

Thanks. That was a good price.

degilbo
udonmap.com

Post by degilbo » August 27, 2019, 6:55 pm

Adding to an older thread rather than starting a new one on same subject.

Have a friend who has a small Hernia that may require surgery.

He lives out of Udon has no internet and I am making a few enquiries on his behalf.

Appreciate if anyone can add more recent experiences with Surgeons mentioned and/or others that may Operate out of the Military Hospital.

His preference is the Military Hospital to keep costs down.

Appreciate any assistance.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 28, 2019, 2:49 pm

This is good post for me, I have a umbilical hernia, probably caused by being a fat git, and this post has given me a nudge to go get it sorted, thanks for this info.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » August 29, 2019, 10:32 am

We recommend reaching a BMI of less than 35 prior to hernia repair.
Source:Weight Loss before Hernia Repair Surgery - University of Michigan

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 1dXnVLwb_4

..it's a PDF file for download..

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » August 29, 2019, 12:34 pm

Quoting the cost of a serious medical treatment or operation would be welcome information. This might prove useful to me and perhaps others who vacation in Thailand and often take advantage of the opportunity of using the inexpensive and good quality Thai medical and dental services.

I've been having my dental work done in Thailand for a decade or two, finding the experience pleasant and at half the cost of what U.S. dentist might charge. I have had ear and eye examinations in Thailand done cheaply which I might otherwise have delayed after contemplating U.S. prices.

My last visit with my U.S. family doctor cost me about 7500 baht. This involved checking my weight, pricking a finger to get a drop of blood to examine, and having a ten minute discussion about my health.

My brother recently had a simple appendectomy, was in and out the same day. The charge for the operation was about $15,000 or equal to about 450,000 baht. What might it have cost at a Thai hospital?

I have very good medical insurance and pay a small fraction of U.S. medical charges. But my hope of retiring to Thailand is dampened when I contemplate that I would have to pay all Thai medical services in full. Information about the high cost of very serious medical treatments is of interest to me and likely to others. As I am in my seventies, I doubt that I am qualified to purchase any Thai medical insurance.

Thanks for any such information.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 29, 2019, 2:43 pm

DuiDui49 wrote:
August 29, 2019, 10:32 am
We recommend reaching a BMI of less than 35 prior to hernia repair.
Source:Weight Loss before Hernia Repair Surgery - University of Michigan

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 1dXnVLwb_4

..it's a PDF file for download..
Thanks for the info but I'm already 15kg lighter than I was last Christmas and hope to be at least another 5kg lighter by this Christmas, I'm pretty sure my BMI will be okay.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”