Heat blocking technology,why is it not used to save energy??

General Udon Thani topics only!
BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Heat blocking technology,why is it not used to save energy??

Post by BKKSTAN » April 22, 2007, 12:38 pm

Heat-blocking technology would bring big savings

With the ongoing heat, I wonder why it is that heat-reflecting windows are virtually non-existent in Thailand? Given the local climate, such windows would pay off in a much shorter time than in the moderate climates where they are widely used.

There are several kind of such windows, ranging from the simplest double-paned windows, with the air between both panes removed to reduce the transmission of heat, to high-tech thermo-reflecting windows. There are heat-reflecting foils for car windows, but I haven't seen them used for buildings.

The reduced consumption of electricity for air-conditioning would not only pay off the higher cost for such windows, it would also reduce the heat generated by power plants and reduce the overall amount of power needed on a national scale, not to mention lower the environmental damage from power generation.

In addition, there are ways to build houses with heat-reflecting or heat-isolating materials and technologies, all of which would save lots of money in the long run. I have heard there is even a paint using nano-technology that reduces the heat passing through to the walls.

Where are the Thai architects to propose and use such materials and technologies?

Sam Munich

Bangkok

tawan3
udonmap.com

Post by tawan3 » April 22, 2007, 2:03 pm

Thai architects are trained at American Universities in heat-reflecting materials and also a few Thai PHDs have work on nano-technology paints that are actually in the production stages.

Maybe the young minds are too low in the company ranks for anyone to listen to them.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 22, 2007, 2:14 pm

:lol: Or maybe they paid for someone to write their doctoral thesis :lol: And don't have a clue!

tawan3
udonmap.com

Post by tawan3 » April 22, 2007, 2:19 pm

I must admit I have met many PHDs that do not have a clue but I am not naming names :lol:

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » April 22, 2007, 3:07 pm

Dear Mr. Milner,
We recommend you to use ceramic paints for roof-top coating. On metal roof, the temperature difference of coated and uncoated surface can be greater than 10 degrees C. during summer months.

Chalermchai Su-uthai
- Bangkok, Thailand

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » April 22, 2007, 3:14 pm

The Worlds Leading Producer of Energy Saving
Insulating Paint & House Paint Additives
Insulate your Home With A Stroke of a Brush
Hy-Tech Insulating Paint & House Paint Additives
...Insulation in a Can !
Hy-Tech Thermal Solutions, a NASA Research Partner, produces energy saving insulating paint and an insulating additive for house paints that will reduce your heating and cooling bills.

With HY-TECH ceramic insulating paint products,
Painting is now an Affordable, Energy Saving, Insulation Solution
That Will SAVE you Money and Improve Your Comfort

Get the facts....
Do not be fooled by cheap copycat products

Hy-Tech insulating paint products are based upon our exclusive blend of insulating ceramic microspheres or "vacuum beads", that are designed specifically for mixing into paints, coatings and composites to form a tight interlocking matrix which reduces conductive heat through the painted surface. The ceramic barrier reflects up to 90% of the heat back to the source.

Hy-Tech's insulating additive for paint can be mixed into any locally available house paint to add heat reducing, insulating properties to that paint. We also offer the industries largest selection of pre mixed, ready to use, ceramic filled, insulation coatings for use on Roofs, Ceilings, Walls, Transportation, Marine, Aviation, Agricultural, and a wide range of Industrial applications.

Both "Thermal Solution" products are designed to keep heat out in summer and reflect the heat back in during the winter drastically reducing the costs required for heating or cooling a home, metal building, recreational vehicle, agricultural or commercial structure!

If you are tired of high heating and cooling bills
and being uncomfortable then use one of our
HY-TECH "Thermal Solution Products"
Improve upon your homes thermal and acoustical environment...
while saving you energy dollars each and every month!

HY-TECH Insulating Paint Solutions
are available in two easy to use products

1.) Hy-Tech ThermaCels Insulating Additive for Paints
An easy to use, fine powdered ceramic paint additive that you can mix into your own paint and turn it into a heat reflecting, durable ceramic, thermal barrier. Non-Toxic, works in Any Paint, Interior or Exterior, Hot or Cold climates.

2.) Pre-Mixed Insulating House Paint & Industrial Coatings
Hy-Tech offers convenient pre-mixed, ready to use, ceramic filled, insulation coatings for use on Roofs, Ceilings, Walls, and a wide range of Industrial applications including high temperature paint, rust inhibiting paint, acoustical insulation, fireproof paints and more.

HY-TECH Ceramic Insulation Paint Products will...
Save you money on your heating and cooling bills
Hard ceramics provide long lasting durability...you paint less often.
Exceptional stain and scrub resistance
Ceramics are Non-Toxic & Fire Resistant
Helps deaden sound
Use on Interior or Exterior
Works in hot or cold climates
Environmentally Friendly
Increase value of property
Consider This:
An average house requires 10 - 12 Gallons of paint for the exterior, ($114.00 worth of Hy-Tech insulating additive).

What can you buy today for $114.00 that will lower your utility bills, make your home more comfortable, extend the life of your heating and cooling equipment, increase the durability of your paint And Pay you Back, Year in and Year Out!!

Whatever your choice, the ceramic ThermaCels insulating additive for your paint or one of our pre-mixed, insulating house paints, make your next painting project an energy saving solution, Don't just paint, Insulate!

Related...Hy-Tech Insulating Ceramics
Brief Product History and Background
And
How Insulating Ceramics Make Paint Insulate

Hy-Tech in the News!
Since 1976, NASA has featured between 40 and 50 commercial products which have benefited mankind worldwide as a result of NASA Technology in their annual premiere publication Spinoff Magazine. Hy-Tech Thermal Solutions, Inc has been selected for their advanced insulating ceramic paint products resulting from the NASA research and development of thermal reduction ceramics.

Hy-Tech Ceramic Insulating Paint & House Paint Additives
Often imitated but Never Duplicated !
HY-TECH Thermal Insulation Paint Solutions for Energy Conservation

tawan3
udonmap.com

Post by tawan3 » April 22, 2007, 3:21 pm

Who is the distributor for Hy Tech paint additives in Thailand? 114 USD is very cheap to paint a house even at plus 60% duty would be worth it in Thailand.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » April 22, 2007, 3:37 pm

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » April 22, 2007, 4:06 pm

That wan't much help was it, I found dustributi ors in just naout every conuntry in the region except Thailand and a mnufator in Chine, woner what the import tac xes would be/

My guess is it is around search time but almost time for Moto Gp so will have to wait :lol:

tawan3
udonmap.com

Post by tawan3 » April 22, 2007, 4:28 pm

I was only guessing on the import tax. I got 60% from the Thai Japan Trade agreement. I do not know about Moto Gp.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » April 22, 2007, 5:22 pm

Motor cycle racing. up to 300 Klms an hour very exciting stuff

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » April 28, 2007, 10:39 am

Got a reply from one manufactor, they do not have a distributor in Thailnd closeset one Singapore. , what that will mean in import taxes I have no idea.
Mr. Fisher,
We currently do not have a distributor in Thailand. The closest distributor
we have to there is in Singapore. They have a link on the top right hand
corner of the website.

Thanks,

Chad Davis
Mascoat Products

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Post by fatbas***d » April 30, 2007, 10:58 am

Stan, you have raised my own pet peeve, the amount of energy going to waste through poor or in most cases no insulation is almost criminal. The problem is that developers here will not spend money incorporating energy saving materials into a house presumably because most buyers don't recognise the value of it.
If the goverment had the nouse to advertise the economic gains of effective insulation, everybody would be better off. You look at most project houses here, not even basic under roof insulation, when I asked a sales person why, He replied "it makes the house hotter" what a lot of BS ! The developers are too greedy to make even token efforts at insulation and the buyers are too stupid to insist on it.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » April 30, 2007, 11:26 am

I think you are absolutely correct. However, I do beleive it will remain an after market producrt, simply to maintain a competive edge in the Thai market. Most Thai's don't give it a thought, they don't use air for the most part. Most of the products are readibly available with the exception of this paint.

Some of the guys who have built there own houses have used the insulating brick a bit more expensive but that should give a good return if you are using air.

The attic aspect is easy to take care of Better venting and insulation will work. The the walls constructed of standard brick, the only after market product that might be feasable would be the paint, that I have found. The problem is not only to they get hot, they hold that heat for hours.

The paint seems to be availble all around us, my guess is it is here I just haven't found it. Hopefully in the next few years I will before the house is do for a new coat of paint. :lol:

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Post by fatbas***d » April 30, 2007, 11:59 am

Traditional thai houses are quite well designed to provide a comfortable indoor enviroment. If you look at the double hip roof design and open ends to provide an open area for heat release, the above ground construction, venting throught the building. If you have spent time in one, you will know they are relatively cool and significantly cooler than modern houses made from high density materials, built on the ground with almost no circulation.
There is newly built house near to me which I walk past most days, the roof has two small vents with an open area of 500 sq mm, to vent an area of maybe 70 Cu/M, why would they bother as they so small to be almost ineffective.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » April 30, 2007, 4:17 pm

first know nothing about reflecting paint, or this product I see advertized at Home Pro "Berger Cool Paint", but maybe since I have only primed the outside, might just look into it. Wonder if Berger has a web site.

and I was thinking about cracks. :lol:

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » April 30, 2007, 4:37 pm

Dakoda wrote:Berger Cool Paint", but maybe since I have only primed the outside, might just look into it.
Dakoda, if you are going to look into it, just be careful when you take the lid off, don't get splashed!! :lol: :lol:

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » April 30, 2007, 6:14 pm

Bingo: From a user on another site:
there is actually a very premium brand of reflective paaint on the market in Thailand. Yes the person was very right about high quality white paint except when it gets dirty. the paint i am refering too has a high content of reflective componenets built into it - acutally much higher than the western competitors and the cost is comparitve to high quality house paint. It can be used indoors or outdoors and can be pigmented to desiered colors(within reason) it is distributed in Thailand by the Starkool company. 024164527 ask for Joe or Ruengrit (ronreet) I have used this product on iffices here and in Dubai and have seen tremendous savings on cooling bill.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”