Udon Thani Air Pollution

General Udon Thani topics only!
mak
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Thani Air Pollution

Post by mak » March 23, 2023, 9:50 am

Surrounded by fires.
The further North you go, the worse it gets.
134 at Nong Prajak.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 09-45-17 Live Animated Air Quality Map (AQI PM2.5...) IQAir.png

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 23, 2023, 1:26 pm

Never mind the toxic death smog .... im a tad peeved as the strong breeze is blowing leaves and woodland debris on my drive and the pavement outside, if i sweep up its good exercise but need a large can of Chang to re hydrate which counteracts the exercise ..i swept up 10 times yesterday n was semi pissed by dusk which is ok as when bladdered you dont notice the zombie smog.

According to my intimate cracks creases and dangley bits must be nudging 40 again today ..

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 23, 2023, 9:37 pm

40.1 Centigrade at Baan Rick. But at least the wind meant i could cut grass for 30 minutes without getting heatstroke. Only about one more day of cutting and all done until it rains properly. Tried to rake up leaves but tbey blew away, so quickly gave up.

Yai after 12 years asked for an air cinditioner - and even offered to pay half, which was a bigger shock! 10 months of her pension blown in one day.....

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 23, 2023, 9:49 pm

rick wrote:
March 23, 2023, 9:37 pm
40.1 Centigrade at Baan Rick. But at least the wind meant i could cut grass for 30 minutes without getting heatstroke. Only about one more day of cutting and all done until it rains properly. Tried to rake up leaves but tbey blew away, so quickly gave up.

Yai after 12 years asked for an air cinditioner - and even offered to pay half, which was a bigger shock! 10 months of her pension blown in one day.....
Bung the old lady in a chest freezer for a few minutes ..but dont firget shes in there .. :lol:

Go on rick treat her .. but dont forget to take her left over pension money for the extra leccy used.

Blooming heck AC over on the Eastside whatever next .. internet ? Refuge collection ? .. colour TV

Dm

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 25, 2023, 9:10 am

where's the burning? Here's NASA's Fire Detection map link https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/ma ... .8,16.1,7z
Dave

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » March 25, 2023, 3:07 pm

And the winner is:
Laos with Myanmar a close second.
Attachments
fire map.png

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 25, 2023, 3:58 pm

I've not been out and about nearly as much in the last couple of years, but I cant remember seeing too many water trucks damping down the roads and central reservations. Years ago you ended up following one travelling in the fast lane at 20kph at least once a day ( guaranteed if you were returning from the car wash)

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » March 26, 2023, 4:04 am

Finally below 100. 72 at Nong Prajak this morning.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 26, 2023, 8:27 am

mak wrote:
March 26, 2023, 4:04 am
Finally below 100. 72 at Nong Prajak this morning.
Could of been the strong wind last night ..the summer storm that just missed us last night but (boshed Kumpawapi ) did bring strong wind for a while but no rain hence the zombie smog was blown away from the clean and tidy West side across to the Eastern rodent infested favelas before ending up at 747s shed in Nong Khai... henceforth below the 100 this lovely morning.

Bloody dry leaves everywhere

DM

mackayae
udonmap.com

Post by mackayae » March 27, 2023, 8:27 am

153 at NP this morning. CM now No. 1 in the world.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 27, 2023, 9:40 am

Noticed a big difference in our new location away from the ring road /ap junction noise and pollution.

As yet not really been effected by the zombie smog thats bad in other places (BKK , CM etc) .. also one other noticeable difference whilst living in rural Buriram most days everywhere was covered in black ash and it played havoc with drying washed clothes , blowing in the house and the pool having to clean it every day .. here very rarely noticed any black sooty flakes even though just outside of town and thank the lord ive only got 2 shirts and 2 pairs of shorts to wash and no pool to take care of ..never again do i ever wish to have one...i am still contemplating buying some clothes again in the future now that Denis cast offs are all but a memory (thanks Den)

DM

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » March 27, 2023, 9:41 am

The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment reassured the public on Friday that it is implementing a comprehensive strategy to reduce air pollution, a day after smog surged to dangerous levels in 17 provinces in the North again.
Attachments
Fire map 3-27.png

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 27, 2023, 3:48 pm

I am sure that comprehensive strategy will entail the forming of committees to decide what to do. I noted a friend who posted on Facebook the Station Nong Khai posting showing how the "City leadership cares" program where, like Bangkok a few years ago doing "someting" the Nong Khai fire pumpers were out spraying water in the air.....

Fact is, the NASA fire chart shows it preetty well. While Thailand certainly has its share of field and forest burning, the surround countries of Burma, Laos and Cambodia are far worse. Whatever strategy is planned won't work unless those countries can stomp out the fires...

Nong Kahi yessterday:
nong khai.JPG
Dave

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 28, 2023, 7:20 am

While I empathise with those who have breathing problems, in reality no actual POINT Blaming the Thais , many of who have heeded the calls, howsever inside this geographical outcrop comprising of most of the South Eastern Nations, clearing the land by burning is embeded in their cultural activities in a religious way and as three of them are far poorer than Thais it will not change anytime soon .
So instead of continually castigating the farmers for doing what they have done for centuries, Governments and Industry need to come up with less polluting ideas for achieving the same aim As one old farmer expressed top me if they do not like it many will just grow enough for themselves with a little extra for LOCAL sale and everyone else can go to hell . THAT WILL MEAN LESS FOOD !!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 28, 2023, 11:37 am

Khun Paul wrote:
March 28, 2023, 7:20 am
While I empathise with those who have breathing problems, in reality no actual POINT Blaming the Thais , many of who have heeded the calls, howsever inside this geographical outcrop comprising of most of the South Eastern Nations, clearing the land by burning is embeded in their cultural activities in a religious way and as three of them are far poorer than Thais it will not change anytime soon .
So instead of continually castigating the farmers for doing what they have done for centuries, Governments and Industry need to come up with less polluting ideas for achieving the same aim As one old farmer expressed top me if they do not like it many will just grow enough for themselves with a little extra for LOCAL sale and everyone else can go to hell . THAT WILL MEAN LESS FOOD !!
This activity is arcane, destructive and inefficient.

An enlightened government would develop plans for farmers as an alternative and help change for the better. If properly managed it will mean more food, and better land management and they just might get a better living. Telling others they can go to hell might be your attitude, but thank goodness there are not too many with that negative view on things.

This is a subject that should be addressed by agronomists, not armchair experts.

This is just one of the hundreds of discussions about why this practice should change

https://www.ccacoalition.org/en/activit ... rning-peru

BTW, 29,000 did go to some other place, hopefully not hell

https://www.greenpeace.org/southeastasi ... Air%20data.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » March 28, 2023, 1:47 pm

Unfortunately Greenpeace didn't mention Laos and Myanmar.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 28, 2023, 1:59 pm

mak wrote:
March 28, 2023, 1:47 pm
Unfortunately Greenpeace didn't mention Laos and Myanmar.
Or a host of other nations, but I am not sure about the significance. Yes burning is rife over all of SE Asia. Regardless of what neighbouring nations do, Thailand can implement policies for Thailand.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » March 28, 2023, 2:30 pm

However most of the pollution we are seeing now is coming from outside Thailand. 41 in Lumpini Park, Bangkok, 100 in Udon, CM 187. The further north you go the worst it gets. Central and southern Thailand doesn't have a problem.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 28, 2023, 3:53 pm

mak wrote:
March 28, 2023, 2:30 pm
However most of the pollution we are seeing now is coming from outside Thailand. 41 in Lumpini Park, Bangkok, 100 in Udon, CM 187. The further north you go the worst it gets. Central and southern Thailand doesn't have a problem.
I don't know what your source is for this statement about Lao and Myanmar. The attached site with an interactive map shows Southern Thailand to be not too bad, it has the advantage of much of the land being close to coastlines where clearing winds play an impact.

Northern Thailand is the most polluted. You note on the Map, that Lao and Myanmar areas close to the Thai border have little pollution, the pollution in Issan and Central Thailand appears to be home grown.

https://www.iqair.com/th-en/air-quality ... omLevel=10

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 28, 2023, 5:49 pm

Whistler wrote:
March 28, 2023, 11:37 am
Khun Paul wrote:
March 28, 2023, 7:20 am
This activity is arcane, destructive and inefficient.

An enlightened government would develop plans for farmers as an alternative and help change for the better. If properly managed it will mean more food, and better land management and they just might get a better living. Telling others they can go to hell might be your attitude, but thank goodness there are not too many with that negative view on things.

This is a subject that should be addressed by agronomists, not armchair experts.

This is just one of the hundreds of discussions about why this practice should change

https://www.ccacoalition.org/en/activit ... rning-peru

BTW, 29,000 did go to some other place, hopefully not hell

https://www.greenpeace.org/southeastasi ... Air%20data.
as usual you suffer from selective reading or to put it another think of a way of a attacking me in a veiled way.
WHAT I said was that according to my THAI farmer was that if they really clamp down on burning , as archaic it may be but it works, he is quite4 happy to grow what his family needs and sell a little but not grow it in a way to assist the Government in feeding the people. , might be selfish but he does not need to grow anymore and will not change his habits of a lifetime . That is why I stated the Government and Industry need to come up with less polluting options for the farmers

I am not even beginning to offer suggestions except one, I do wish that when people comment they do actually read what has been said by others , thankyou

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”