Udon Thani Air Pollution

General Udon Thani topics only!
parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Thani Air Pollution

Post by parrot » April 16, 2022, 12:37 pm

I think sugar cane season is just about over.....or it IS over. Unlike many seasons in past years, we didn't see a single instance of burning in our area. You can usually see fields far away burn at night as it lights up the sky. But this year nothing. Not even a single instance of telltale ash on our porch in the morning. This year we did see a good number of big trucks hauling chopped up sugar cane.......maybe 25% of all the trucks that pass by on the way to the sugar mills.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 16, 2022, 4:29 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
April 16, 2022, 11:44 am
Scientists over the years have always tried it themselves first ......... If it works on you KP we will believe you :lol:
I do not complain therefore NOT being affected, no need to try it out ..........lol

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 18, 2022, 12:57 am

Last year bought an air filter after a few bad days. Haven't used it this year yet, although thought about it a couple of days ago. Some local burning was tidying up the gardens before Bangkok relatives arrived.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 19, 2022, 12:01 pm

the scattered rains of the last few days have pushed the AQI into better territory. https://aqicn.org/map/udon-thani/ Hopefully Parrot is right and the cane field burnings are over.
Dave

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » April 19, 2022, 1:14 pm

My wife has severe asthma, among our safeguards such as air purifiers, nebulizers and inhalers, we have a portable air quality monitor that we can use to check outside air quality at home and also take with us. It charges with a phone charger and seems to be fairly accurate when I check it against the air quality readouts on our air purifiers.https://www.lazada.co.th/products/big-b ... l?search=1

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 24, 2022, 12:12 pm

10+ years ago, during typical sugarcane harvesting season, we could see fields burning not far from our home (kilo 18) and usually saw the evidence of the burns with ash on our porch in the morning. In the past few years the amount of burns seemed to be on the decrease.....and this year, there wasn't a single evening where we could see the glow of fields burning.
This article seems to point to a concerted effort to reduce the amount of rice/sugar cane field burns in the Udon area. Maybe not 100% yet, but it does seem they're making progress.
https://udontoday.co/240665-2/?fbclid=I ... Ug_GqxEfys

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » March 8, 2023, 2:52 pm

A tweet about Thailand's air quality today.

https://twitter.com/ThaiAirQuality/stat ... 5901232128
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 8, 2023, 3:21 pm

Yes smokey here today

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 8, 2023, 4:11 pm

While I sympathise with those with breathing problems especially at this time of the year withg increasd heat, less windy conditions and less air circulation, 9 is a fat of life that here air Pollution is caused not onloy by farmers burning off the stubble but also the poor enforcement of pover weight badly mantained vehicles
years ago while visiting Bangkok and Chiang Mai especially at his time of y Pollution was bad, maximum stay of THREE days .
With the increased traffic even udon suffers and I have seen the pollution cloud hovering over downtown in the day, luckily here Udon normally has a breeze blowing which moves it along nicely.

With tecjnology enabling many to alleviate the propblem it does not remove the problem only moves it around, wearing masks again seems to be the norm .

this morning my side of town was clear, quite pleasant , now with the market nearby th smells and noise pollution is bad but at least at 2000 hours it is all gone . .

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 8, 2023, 5:58 pm

Lovely crystal clear air over here on Udons effluent swish Westside stock broker belt suburbs .. not so ovver yonder in the East side shacks and favelas where even the seagulls fly backwards so they dont get soot in their eyes.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 8, 2023, 6:08 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
March 8, 2023, 5:58 pm
Lovely crystal clear air over here on Udons effluent swish Westside stock broker belt suburbs .. not so ovver yonder in the East side shacks and favelas where even the seagulls fly backwards so they dont get soot in their eyes.

DM
Those POOR Seagulls must have flown in from Cleethorpes ( That's quite near SCUNNY ) In'it ??

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 8, 2023, 7:40 pm

so it was sparkly clear eh? I wonnder what the AQI nnd PM 2.5 levels were at? here's the Udon postings, almost all with AQI sensors in government office buildings. Nasty today. Up in the Purple Zone. Vehicular traffic may have some effect but the hlevels are invariably higher outside the city (see the Sam Phrao readings by the Rajhabat). This time of year it is primarily feild burning along with dry weather and the dust stirred up. Constrution everywhere in the province also adds to it but again, when you zoom out on the AQI map you'll see the bad levels are throughout the region. Field burning is something that's illegal in Thailand but is rarely prosecuted. Hell, our village street sweepers regularly rake up leaves and trash and burn them...https://aqicn.org/map/udon-thani/
Dave

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » March 17, 2023, 7:26 am

153 at Nong Prajak. Hardly worth it for my daily walk. Have to get some KN95 masks.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 17, 2023, 7:34 am

AQI AIR POLLUTION LEVEL HEALTH IMPLICATIONS CAUTIONARY STATE…
0 - 50 Good Air quality is considered satisfactor… None
51 -100 Moderate Air quality is acceptable; however, f… Active children and a…
101-150 Unhealthy for Sensiti… Members of sensitive groups may ... Active children and a…
151-200 Unhealthy Everyone may begin to experience h… Active children and a…

Just for info

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » March 17, 2023, 8:05 am

Khun Paul wrote:
March 17, 2023, 7:34 am
101-150 Unhealthy for Sensiti… Members of sensitive groups may ... Active children and a…

Just for info
Look as though there may be some words missing here.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 17, 2023, 9:59 am

Udon Map wrote:
March 17, 2023, 8:05 am
Khun Paul wrote:
March 17, 2023, 7:34 am

Just for info
Look as though there may be some words missing here.
Probably but just a snap shot of the first four levels after that a rather pointless exercise .

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 17, 2023, 1:01 pm

At least we dont get those pea soupers where you cant see the front of your bonnet whilst driving anymore. I remember driving with window open coz it was the only way to see the white line in the road. On coming vehicles were only about 4 ft away when you managed to see their lights.
Looking at pics of all the old buildings from 100/150 yrs ago you can see the soot that was in the air in them days, the PM2.5 levels would have been off the scale but surprise surprise the human race survived ........ and without KN95 or any other type of mask

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 17, 2023, 1:26 pm

Not Udon but DM was in Bkk earlier this week .. driving in on motoway 9 Bkk Ring Road with a large swath of the city in view you get the full extent of the severity of the thick hanging dense smog , its really bad and understandable why people are getting ill .. noted everyone wearing masks (AGAIN) ...

At least in the evening the smog had not penetrated inside the twinkly hide the sausage venue i took shelter in and Brianetta take care me very good, suffice to say there other locations to get out of the pollution filled atmosphere i ended up there pure;y by accident after loosing my bearings.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 17, 2023, 1:40 pm

These "bearings" you lost, would they be the brown paper ones with the number 1000 printed in the corner?

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 17, 2023, 4:39 pm

Last Sunday did turn the air purifier on for the first time this year. Fortunately the prevailing wind is usually east to west, so the pollution blows over to DM. Hazy smog on the ring road, but air is reasonably clear and tastes ok in the village unless a fire starts up. We do not get the large scale field burning, that is for the more fertile areas. Most fields our way are disused.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”