Growing a Hedge

General Udon Thani topics only!
Greg Ledder
udonmap.com

Growing a Hedge

Post by Greg Ledder » August 21, 2017, 5:07 pm

Hi,

Can anyone please recommend a quick growing tree that grows all year round and would make a decent Hedge?

We have a small plot but rather than put a concrete wall or a fence around it I would rather have a natural boundary if possible.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Greg :D

dingdong
udonmap.com

Re: Growing a Hedge

Post by dingdong » August 21, 2017, 5:18 pm

Anything pretty well grows year round here

We have a hedge BUT I will be damed if I know what the name is Best of my advice would be head to anyone of the many nurseries around town or out on the highways and explain what you want to do and what you don't want the hedge to do and how much maintenance is needed

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » August 21, 2017, 5:24 pm

ask the nights that say Ni! They are good at shrubbery

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 21, 2017, 5:38 pm

The dark green hedge, like the one on the front left, grows fast enough. I've never had a problem with disease or wilt, even in the heat of summer. I've seen such hedges grow easily 5 feet or more tall......if you're willing to cut hedges that high. Like anything, use plenty of manure/water for best/fastest results.
The lighter green hedge isn't as dense and I've had a few shrivel up on me over the years.

The dark green hedge grows very dense......would make an adequate wall.......you can climb over most any fence, you can navigate a hedge if you want to. You can buy the dark green hedges in larger pots, but you pay a premium. I paid 2 baht per small plant and watched them grow.
Attachments
IMG_0926.JPG

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » August 21, 2017, 5:44 pm

Mohk (โมก) Wrightia religiosa (Apocynaceae) seems to be a popular shrub used for hedge here.

https://pantip.com/topic/31099524

TicToc
udonmap.com

Post by TicToc » August 21, 2017, 5:44 pm

Bit before (Nong Khai junction) Tesco their is a nursery,turn in there and a little way down on the right they sell cuttings
for what i call box hedge 1 or 2 baht each.Depends how you define quick of course but i have a good hedge now but took a couple of seasons.

Greg Ledder
udonmap.com

Post by Greg Ledder » August 21, 2017, 7:21 pm

Fatone wrote:
August 21, 2017, 5:24 pm
ask the nights that say Ni! They are good at shrubbery
Ha! haaaa! Why didn't I think of that? Good one!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Greg Ledder
udonmap.com

Post by Greg Ledder » August 21, 2017, 7:23 pm

parrot wrote:
August 21, 2017, 5:38 pm
The dark green hedge, like the one on the front left, grows fast enough. I've never had a problem with disease or wilt, even in the heat of summer. I've seen such hedges grow easily 5 feet or more tall......if you're willing to cut hedges that high. Like anything, use plenty of manure/water for best/fastest results.
The lighter green hedge isn't as dense and I've had a few shrivel up on me over the years.

The dark green hedge grows very dense......would make an adequate wall.......you can climb over most any fence, you can navigate a hedge if you want to. You can buy the dark green hedges in larger pots, but you pay a premium. I paid 2 baht per small plant and watched them grow.
Thanks for that - will check it out. Looks good and I don't mind the cutting. :D

Greg Ledder
udonmap.com

Post by Greg Ledder » August 21, 2017, 7:29 pm

Shado wrote:
August 21, 2017, 5:44 pm
Mohk (โมก) Wrightia religiosa (Apocynaceae) seems to be a popular shrub used for hedge here.

https://pantip.com/topic/31099524
Thanks Shado - very useful information. The hedge looks a damned sight better than a wall! :D

Greg Ledder
udonmap.com

Post by Greg Ledder » August 21, 2017, 7:31 pm

TicToc wrote:
August 21, 2017, 5:44 pm
Bit before (Nong Khai junction) Tesco their is a nursery,turn in there and a little way down on the right they sell cuttings
for what i call box hedge 1 or 2 baht each.Depends how you define quick of course but i have a good hedge now but took a couple of seasons.
Thanks TicToc - sounds good - the box type hedge sounds as though it would be worth the wait :D

Greg Ledder
udonmap.com

Post by Greg Ledder » August 21, 2017, 7:32 pm

dingdong wrote:
August 21, 2017, 5:18 pm
Anything pretty well grows year round here

We have a hedge BUT I will be damed if I know what the name is Best of my advice would be head to anyone of the many nurseries around town or out on the highways and explain what you want to do and what you don't want the hedge to do and how much maintenance is needed
Thank you :D

Tracechain
udonmap.com

Post by Tracechain » August 22, 2017, 4:14 am

Wife likewise paid 2 baht for each shrub, planted double row and takes couple years. I like high shrubs and this would make an ideal decorative border around your property. Lay some of the black water irrigation hose between rows for watering.
Attachments
Bush.jpg
Hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast, hit 'em with the one they don't expect, and just keep hitting.

Greg Ledder
udonmap.com

Post by Greg Ledder » August 22, 2017, 6:16 am

Tracechain wrote:
August 22, 2017, 4:14 am
Wife likewise paid 2 baht for each shrub, planted double row and takes couple years. I like high shrubs and this would make an ideal decorative border around your property. Lay some of the black water irrigation hose between rows for watering.
Thanks for the advice - that hedge looks fantastic!! :D :D :D

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”