SIN TAX INCREASE

General Udon Thani topics only!
Mosquito
udonmap.com

SIN TAX INCREASE

Post by Mosquito » September 15, 2017, 10:30 pm

If what I'm seeing is correct, this increase will be significant.

Prediction/Cause and Effect:
- Crime will increase
- Expected Health benefits won't be significant, actually might be worse as Thais will shift to lower/more toxic brands of alcohol and cigs.
- Police road blocks will increase, they will have to make up the difference of supporting their habits/gik.
- Bars will see a significant decline in customers.
- Restaurants will see a decline in income, assume most make a good portion of their profits from alcohol sales.
- The additional revenue will be blown or pocketed, little will benefit the masses.
- (bit of a stretch, already happening) Drug use will increase, yaba pill cost will be on par with a large local beer.

Good news being I might actually stop smoking...

Bored, so just my 2 cents worth.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Re: SIN TAX INCREASE

Post by Marcosteffano » September 16, 2017, 5:46 am

Tesco uk 24 cans Abbott ale works out 36b for a 440ml can.fosters which I would rather drink than the fizz pizz out here.22b for a 330ml can...might fly back for a few months and go on a bender and save a few pound.this country is in trouble if they implement this tax.my pals go on a long weekend to Benidorm and get a pint for a Euro.i don't think it's going to happen.know one knows what's going on and its total chaos.just a load of bs from the ministry of bright ideas.i went and stocked up just in case something does happen.leo in makro 726b plus vat = 777b...my cash n carry in village 708b..noticed the new shop has sneaked a few baht on its cans today.had no problem buying as many cases as I wanted.
Attachments
IMG_1995.PNG

blade450x
udonmap.com

Post by blade450x » September 16, 2017, 10:31 am

Is this post based on some news of more tax increases happening?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 16, 2017, 10:43 am

6 months ago the government announced they would implement new tax tariffs ... so here we are today is the day

The new tax increases on tobacco , Alcohol and much more will be announced today . Been a lot of speculation recently but later today all will become clear ...and im told by a business colleague in Bkk it aint good in fact its gonna be devastating.

Latest info i received ...after the announcement meetings will be held next week with both local and importers suppliers to make clear how the new tariffs will be calculated and system will operate.

Agree totally with mosquitos post and thinking on the concequences

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » September 16, 2017, 10:58 am

not good at all jon, the days of bars calculating sale price based on wholesale cost will be gone, no one is going to pay 220b for a big leo in a bar, it's udon not Phuket. I will go with a guess , and farang bars around the city centre will if their lucky will see a 30% drop in profits within the week. Jesus at the rates their talking sitting at home drinking wont be cheap either. on the bright side. maybe plenty of rental space soon in town , and the gov are not taxing a cuppa tea and a slice of cake yet.......yet :shock:
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

phen
udonmap.com

Post by phen » September 16, 2017, 11:19 am

Can some explain what the effect will be with this increase.
What will a box beer cost next week Archa now 480 bath. Next week?
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30326850

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 16, 2017, 11:57 am

papafarang wrote:
September 16, 2017, 10:58 am
not good at all jon, the days of bars calculating sale price based on wholesale cost will be gone, no one is going to pay 220b for a big leo in a bar, it's udon not Phuket. I will go with a guess , and farang bars around the city centre will if their lucky will see a 30% drop in profits within the week. Jesus at the rates their talking sitting at home drinking wont be cheap either. on the bright side. maybe plenty of rental space soon in town , and the gov are not taxing a cuppa tea and a slice of cake yet.......yet :shock:
Thought the thread title meant a tax on Mia Noi's & Gigs for a moment ............ Then I thought silly mr, that's stupid why the hell would the powers that be put extra taxes on themselves :roll:

You are of course assuming that ma & pa will not put up the price of a cuppa or a Eurocake and everything else to pay for their additional beer & smokes outgoings then ppf [-X
Last edited by stattointhailand on September 16, 2017, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom & Jee
udonmap.com

Post by Tom & Jee » September 16, 2017, 12:06 pm

I agree with mosquito. And papafarang ...you said about the cake ...don't forget they are discussing a tax on all sugar beverages to( coke Pepsi tea....) I think more difficult times are coming.

lightman
udonmap.com

Post by lightman » September 16, 2017, 12:07 pm

The rates, published in the Royal Gazette, adjust the tax rate for beer to 22 per cent of retail price and Bt430 per liter of alcoholic content
For wine made from grapes ,the tax rate is Bt1,500 per litre of alcoholic content for a wine bottle not exceeding Bt1,000.

Wine priced higher than Bt1,000 will be taxed at 20 per cent of its price and Bt1,500 per liter of alcoholic content.

The rate for wine made from grapes mixed with other fruits is 10 per cent of the price and Bt150 per litre of alcoholic content. These rates are effective from now onwards.

The white spirit tax rate is 2 per cent of retail price and Bt155 per litre of alcoholic content, while for other kinds of spirits the rate is 20 per cent of retail price and Bt255 per litre of alcoholic content

The tax rate for cigarette is 20 per cent of retail price for a pack not exceeding Bt60 and Bt1.20 per roll.

The rate goes up to 40 per cent for a cigarette pack priced more than Bt60. It is effective from September 16, 2017, until September 30 ,2019.

And the rate for cigars is 10 per cent of price and Bt1.2 per gram effective Saturday.

Source: Excise Department

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30326850

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 16, 2017, 12:41 pm

phen wrote:
September 16, 2017, 11:19 am
Can some explain what the effect will be with this increase.
What will a box beer cost next week Archa now 480 bath. Next week?
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30326850
586 baht?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 16, 2017, 12:52 pm

Does anyone know whatt the CURRENT, pre-increase tax is on beer, wine and lao khao? Since the Nation's 'breaking news' appears to be in terms of tax increases rather than precise final tax rates, knowing what we have been paying may take some of the panic out of things? Or maybe not.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 16, 2017, 1:00 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
September 16, 2017, 10:43 am
6 months ago the government announced they would implement new tax tariffs ... so here we are today is the day

The new tax increases on tobacco , Alcohol and much more will be announced today . Been a lot of speculation recently but later today all will become clear ...and im told by a business colleague in Bkk it aint good in fact its gonna be devastating.

Latest info i received ...after the announcement meetings will be held next week with both local and importers suppliers to make clear how the new tariffs will be calculated and system will operate.

Agree totally with mosquitos post and thinking on the concequences

DM
Looks like until these meetings are done and dusted, supplies may be old price, new price, restricted or 'no hab'.

And ostensibly it is all because the government is truly worried about the health and well-being of the great unwashed and only trying to bring (more) happiness to the people.

At least when successive Tory and Labour governments in the UK screwed drivers, smokers and drinkers, you knew exactly why you were bent over and holding your ankles.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 16, 2017, 1:03 pm

Its not only Tobacco and Alcohol that will be effected .. many other products will see rises and tariff changes ...also many previously vat 7% exempt products will now be vat applicable .. , soft drinks , some food products , processed meats etc and flat pack pizza boxes to name just 3a few off the bat.

Numbers being crunched in Bkk right now to access the damage with more accurate figures next week after the customs department have had meetings with local brewers n importers . Stock already (out of bond) in Thailand now will not be effected but anything arriving or in bonded warehousing facilities after today will be at the new tariffs .

Back to the old days of home brewing Sartor rice whiskey in the villages and would expect the crime rate to spike etc etc.

Tam.. the new tariffs are being calculated on a retail price basis not as before the first sale after the products lands her ...which is importer to distributor/wholesaler , some products such as cider n fruit beers are now no more , now calculated as beers where as before juices on a lower tariff ... lots of numbers to crunch and info to digest .

DM

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » September 16, 2017, 1:11 pm

tamada wrote:
September 16, 2017, 12:52 pm
Does anyone know whatt the CURRENT, pre-increase tax is on beer, wine and lao khao? Since the Nation's 'breaking news' appears to be in terms of tax increases rather than precise final tax rates, knowing what we have been paying may take some of the panic out of things? Or maybe not.
The 2016 taxes on beer were 17% so increased to 22%
Cigs were 15% so increased to 20% some increased to 40%
Alcohol/ spirits were 13% so increased to 20%.
Loas Khow/ White spirit increases 2%

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 16, 2017, 1:22 pm

pal52 wrote:
September 16, 2017, 1:11 pm
tamada wrote:
The 2016 taxes on beer were 17% so increased to 22%
Thanks for that clarification sir. So it's not quite the end of the world... yet.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 16, 2017, 1:24 pm

According to The Nation, not actually ridiculous rises for beer..
The details are as following:

The tax per bottle of wine priced more than Bt1,000 will be Bt110 upwards, depending on the price. The tax on locally made wine will decrease by Bt25 per bottle.

The tax per can of beer will be Bt0.50 higher, and for bottles of beer it will be Bt2 .66 more. For higher-priced beer, the tax will decrease by between Bt0.99 and Bt2.

White spirit will be taxed more by Bt0.84-3.49 per bottle. For other kinds of locally produced spirit, the additional tax will be Bt8 per bottle for 28 per cent alcohol content and Bt30 for 40 per cent alcohol content .

The tax on other imported spirits, such as Johnnie Walker Red and Blue Label Scotch whisky, will be a little less, from Bt3 to Bt26 depending on alcohol content.

For cheap cigarette brands, the tax will add Bt4 to Bt15 more per pack, while higher-priced cigarettes will be taxed at Bt2-19 more per pack.

Sugary drinks also be subject to higher taxes. Soft drink taxes will be Bt0.13 to Bt 0.50 per bottle, but sugar-free soft-drink will be taxed less by Bt0.28 Bt0.36 per bottle.

Energy drinks will be taxed more, ranging from Bt0.32 to Bt0.90 per can or bottle.

Green tea will be taxed Bt1.13 to Bt2.05 more per bottle, and the tax on coffee will be Bt1.35 more per bottle or can.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30326861

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 16, 2017, 1:31 pm

Mosquito wrote:
September 15, 2017, 10:30 pm
If what I'm seeing is correct, this increase will be significant.

Prediction/Cause and Effect:
- Crime will increase
- Expected Health benefits won't be significant, actually might be worse as Thais will shift to lower/more toxic brands of alcohol and cigs.
- Police road blocks will increase, they will have to make up the difference of supporting their habits/gik.
- Bars will see a significant decline in customers.
- Restaurants will see a decline in income, assume most make a good portion of their profits from alcohol sales.
- The additional revenue will be blown or pocketed, little will benefit the masses.
- (bit of a stretch, already happening) Drug use will increase, yaba pill cost will be on par with a large local beer.

Good news being I might actually stop smoking...

Bored, so just my 2 cents worth.
Now we are beginning to see what the tax increases actually entail, I don't predict as much social upheaval.

Just to note that according to the moobahn gossip, the price of yabaa is at it's lowest since April last year. I guess bringing happiness to the people has been initiated earlier for some.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 16, 2017, 1:34 pm

tamada wrote:
September 16, 2017, 1:22 pm
pal52 wrote:
September 16, 2017, 1:11 pm
tamada wrote:
The 2016 taxes on beer were 17% PREVIOUSLY based on the wholesale price so increased to 22% NOW based on the retail price
Thanks for that clarification sir. So it's not quite the end of the world... yet.
OR IS IT ???? ....so many nubers being thrown around when in truth nobody knows the real outcome until the Customs department actually implement the increases.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 16, 2017, 1:57 pm

And months later the Customs department will STILL be the only one who really knows

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 16, 2017, 2:01 pm

Im sure some small retail outlets around Thailand will try and gouge a few baht on their stock purchased last week.

Was in Makro yesterday and there were massive buy ups by Mum and Pop operators

Read that a Liquor Licence fee will jump significantly from 4000 ?? to nearly 50000.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”