Are you anti-Iphone, like me? Why? Tell the truth

General Udon Thani topics only!
felixcat
udonmap.com

Are you anti-Iphone, like me? Why? Tell the truth

Post by felixcat » November 15, 2017, 8:58 pm

Are you anti-Iphone, like me? Why? Tell the truth...
Got my 1st cell phone in 1994 after starting my busy business, it made my life great. I could forward my business phone to the cell and walk around "with my business in my pocket". Living close to the atlantic in s.florida, it was great to have a nice breakfast at the beach, read the paper, drink coffee till about 10am while my calls came to me.
My 1st phone was Primeco. They posted a Busisess Plan in the Big Box appliance store there saying they planned to become the Worlds largest carrier. At the time they only covered W.Palm Beach to Maimi, Fl.. They became verison. I paid $19.95 a month with 100 free minutes and free incoming calls, which was great for me.
I never updated my plan, despite all their "offers" and "threats" of being "canceled". Threw the phone away in 2006 after closing the business and retiring to the Smokey Mountains for a break.
Now its 2017, my phone is a 2G, and still get the threats to "Upgrade" to a higher brain damaging "G". But they won't cut me off because its better for them to have me connected than disconnected. Some of you smart people know what I'm talking about.
My friends tell me so many horror stories about these brain damaging 4G and 5G's, like, the wife cannot cook dinner without 2 phones in her hands, Ect, ect. Don't start about people driving with these things!! Terrible.
What say you?

glalt
udonmap.com

Re: Are you anti-Iphone, like me? Why? Tell the truth

Post by glalt » November 16, 2017, 12:16 pm

I am not against iPhones. I simply refuse to pay a stupid high price just for something that says Apple. Over the years I have discovered the at least most phones are now throw aways. Why would you think that newer phones are brain damaging?

I use a fairly expensive Chinese phone, 8,500 baht. I think it does everything the super expensive top of the lines phones will do. My experience at having phones repaired have been dismal experiences. Even the cheapest phones have decent calling properties. I have an old Nokia C5 that still works fine and even has a decent camera. The problem with it is that the screen is way too small. I do want a little more from my phone. Good calling properties, a 5.5 inch screen helps, decent camera and enough power for Internet speed suitable for occasionally using the Internet are my wants. If people want to pay a big price for what they consider a top of the line phone, that is entirely up to them.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 16, 2017, 12:55 pm

The truth be told, you can watch the same TV shows as most people if you have a 14" black and white TV or wash the same clothes if you use a Maytag wringer washer E2L.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 16, 2017, 1:05 pm

parrot wrote:
November 16, 2017, 12:55 pm
The truth be told, you can watch the same TV shows as most people if you have a 14" black and white TV or wash the same clothes if you use a Maytag wringer washer E2L.
But can you tell if the brown ball is next to the green or the blue? and will the same clothes you mention be any less clean if you don't use OMO?

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » November 16, 2017, 1:12 pm

parrot wrote:

It's not quite that simple when you are talking about phones. I bought a cheap Samsung J1 that I used while my main phone was in the shop. It is fine for phone calls but the camera is very poor. The Internet is pathetically slow. I'm not talking about seconds, I'm talking about minutes. Updates for apps take forever.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » November 16, 2017, 1:23 pm

Love my old I-phone 4S, about to upgrade to a 5SE from AIS at central, only 5,900 on package for the phone then a one year 499 baht contract which I would have anyway.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 16, 2017, 1:25 pm

glalt wrote:
November 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
parrot wrote:

It's not quite that simple when you are talking about phones. I bought a cheap Samsung J1 that I used while my main phone was in the shop. It is fine for phone calls but the camera is very poor. The Internet is pathetically slow. I'm not talking about seconds, I'm talking about minutes. Updates for apps take forever.
Thank god for that ....... they still make PHONES that you can use for PHONE calls :roll:

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » November 16, 2017, 1:32 pm

fatbob wrote:
November 16, 2017, 1:23 pm
Love my old I-phone 4S, about to upgrade to a 5SE from AIS at central, only 5,900 on package for the phone then a one year 499 baht contract which I would have anyway.
That's a bit cheaper than buying a new iPhone, LOL! I can't imagine paying more than $1,000 for any phone.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » November 16, 2017, 2:11 pm

glalt wrote:
November 16, 2017, 1:32 pm
fatbob wrote:
November 16, 2017, 1:23 pm
That's a bit cheaper than buying a new iPhone, LOL! I can't imagine paying more than $1,000 for any phone.
It is a new phone...

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » November 16, 2017, 2:24 pm

I'm running iPhone 4 and 5 plus iPad.had them all a good few years with no probs apart from when I fire them at walls when the mrs does my head in.just got her a Samsung j7 which I would like but until these pack up I'm sticking with them.they were the dogs nuts when they came out but Apple are a marketing mess nowadays.they just want to screw you.so until these pack up I'm staying with them but will go android in the future.i think Apple will outprice themselves in the future and when the world becomes educated that there's more than Apple out there and a lot cheaper they will move on like myself.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » November 16, 2017, 2:52 pm

In my opinion all apple products are over priced by at least 75% and are for the sheep who must have the latest gadget!

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » November 16, 2017, 5:01 pm

I had an iPhone 4 until it got so slow that it was unusable. I always suspected that Apple intentionally put so much in the new releases of the operating system that iPhone users would have to replace their phones. So I replaced it with a 6S a couple of years ago. I've been quite happy with the 6S, and certainly see no reason to spend USD $1,000 on a new phone.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 16, 2017, 5:19 pm

minimiglia wrote:
November 16, 2017, 2:52 pm
In my opinion all apple products are over priced by at least 75% and are for the sheep who must have the latest gadget!
Attachments
phone.jpg
phone.jpg (14 KiB) Viewed 797 times

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » November 16, 2017, 5:39 pm

i have always been anti smart phone , surely apple with his monopoly and overpriced phones ...
so on till about a year ago i did still have a regular hand phone with only one flaw , it did not have a good camera what is handy in case you are involved in fe a car accident , (and no regular phones with good camera available any more ),to me my phone is still to phone and nothing else , i even disconnected my internet as they were stealing money every month despite i did not use it ... so i bought a small 4.5 inch smart phone with decent camera , i also do not have the need of a phone the size of a small tv :D .. also will not spend outrageous price on any brand of phone ...
and if you come to a restaurant you will easy recognize us , we will be the ones not playing on the smart phone but having a normal conversation as many people used to do before the smart phone (internet) addiction ... ;)

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 16, 2017, 5:47 pm

"having a normal conversation as many people used to do before the smart phone (internet) addiction ... ;)"

Bloomin' 'ell we must have been bored stiff back then :lol:

:-k Oh hang on, they were the days when you could spout a load of bullsh*t and nobody could prove you wrong without going home to check the correct volume of the Encyclopaedia Brittanica :-$

seagulls
udonmap.com

Post by seagulls » November 16, 2017, 6:09 pm

My prime objections to the current phone is primarily ergonomic .It is not at all intuitive (Which end is which)
especially when you are half asleep and trying to answer the Bloody thing . It is heavy in the pocket ect ect
the list goes on . My old phone was so much more user frienly

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » November 16, 2017, 8:59 pm

Bring back the 8210 :)
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 16, 2017, 10:18 pm

I am apple-averse but I think iPhone has handled the backward compatibility of their products much better than google has with their android product.

When one buys a new android phone, it clips along nicely and over the first year gets 2 or 3 OTA firmware updates. Then, when it starts to get slow and glitchy, one is recommended to uninstall unneeded apps and worst case, do a factory reset. If you do this properly, it will also re-install your previously installed apps (so best done overnight). However, within a few weeks or months, it gets slow and glitchy again and eventually one says sod it and forks out for a new one which simply flies along line the old one used to... when IT was new.

Unless one has configured your android phone to notify you of app updates (versus the default of update automatically when on wi-fi) one doesn't really appreciate how often apps are updating, especially the popular ones. However, as noted earlier, the phone operating system, the firmware updates have stopped long ago.

My theory is that android, unlike Windows, is not bound to offer any level of backward compatibility. New apps are being built and old apps are being updated, built on the newest android versions. When you update an app, you have no way of knowing how it will perform when running on a device with 'outdated' firmware. Outdated only needs to be 18 - 24 months. That may be fine for an android phone that costs about 5000-8000 baht new but is a bit of a bugger with the top line 15000 baht and up devices. I think it's a handy way of encouraging punters to keep upgrading to a new android phone at least every 2 years and maintain the market edge they claim to have over apple.

The guy I am working with swears by iPhone, but his one is the iPhone 5 and he reckons it is as fast and friendly as it was when he bought it several years ago. He has no need to buy a new one. I have a 3 year-old, mid-range android that has current (old) firmware, has been factory reset once and is already glacial.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 17, 2017, 2:25 am

My Samsung Note 2 is still going strong. I can't remember when I bought, though think it was shortly after they came out and about 18000 baht (when smartphones were dearer).

I would settle for less and cheaper these days, but the Note 2 is still going strong so I am happy with it. In the meantime wife and daughter have got through at least 2 other phones, each.

86Tiger
udonmap.com

I was always opposed to the “fad” phones......

Post by 86Tiger » November 17, 2017, 9:31 am

I had an old nokia that served me well for many years. It made calls and texts which is all I needed.

I ended up with an Iphone 6 for last 10 months after my 2 yr old broke his mothers touch screen and I had it repaired. I’ll never go back to anything else.

Everything just works intuitively and I very rarely have need to fire up my laptop. I don’t think I will ever need the latest greatest model as the folks standing in line to buy. The model couple years old is always available for fairly reasonable price

Give it a shot next time you need, I think you will be suprised.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”