Electronic Devices

General Udon Thani topics only!
rob3996
udonmap.com

Electronic Devices

Post by rob3996 » May 10, 2007, 7:26 am

Greetings, quick question irt electronic devices. Is it possible to recharge electonic items due to the 220 standard in Thailand? I have a couple of electronic items; ie shaver - walkman that are standard two prong. Is it a waste of time to bring them? I would imagine that there is an adaptor that one could buy? Thanks for any help. Robert R.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » May 10, 2007, 7:41 am

In my home, the wall receptacle/socket accept the standard two prong (from the US), I believe most Thai receptacles do. Better yet, here's a website that will answer your questions....

http://www.crossy.co.uk/wiring/plugs.html

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » May 10, 2007, 8:19 am

You can buy a small transformer at Thai electronic shops that reduce the 220v to 110v for around 500TB. It's about the size of a soda can. Some of the little stands that sell a variety of cheap goods to the tourist sell adapters (50TB?) that will have a female socket for western electronic's prongs and the standard Thai prongs.

Hotels should have these devices available for their guest's convenience.

rob3996
udonmap.com

Post by rob3996 » May 10, 2007, 9:14 am

Awesome - that answers my question...

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Re: Electronic Devices

Post by Dakoda » May 10, 2007, 11:55 am

rob3996 wrote:Greetings, quick question irt electronic devices. Is it possible to recharge electonic items due to the 220 standard in Thailand? I have a couple of electronic items; ie shaver - walkman that are standard two prong. Is it a waste of time to bring them? I would imagine that there is an adaptor that one could buy? Thanks for any help. Robert R.
check the printing on the chargers, most are 100 to 240 volts. My camera is, computer, hard drives also. Most places will accept american two prong plugs. Few places will accept three prong plugs. I bought a couple of step-downs before leaving america, don't really use them. Would think for quality, might want to buy one before leaving. Mine are about the size of two cigarette packs, but weight a ton.

8)

Funman
udonmap.com

Post by Funman » May 10, 2007, 6:08 pm

Try Radio Shack if your still in the States. They have two sizes, one that only handles 50W and the other 1600W. My suggestion is the larger of the two. I bought mine over five years ago and have used it extensivly and it hasn't failed me yet. At the time they were around $20, I'm sure more by now. It has three different plug adapters that are built in for any receptacle in the world and it also has a circut breaker.

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » May 10, 2007, 11:01 pm

Rob, don't forfeit your kilo-limit on the airlines by buying un-needed items that weight too much (like transformers). The local ones work just fine. I have a 500 watt xfmr for use with some electric tools (Dremel, charger for a cordless Dewalt drill, etc.) and a small 50 watt unit for my elect. toothbrush. The toothbrush stays plugged-in 24/7 and I've had it for over 2 1/2 years... cost me about 50 TB. :lol:
Stay atop the grass

Funman
udonmap.com

Post by Funman » May 11, 2007, 6:51 am

Rob, just to let you know the Radio Shack transformer dimensions are 2"x 2"x 4 1/2" and weighs in at a little less than 1lb (400gms). It is made of a very durable soft plastic. I have used mine daily for the last 5+ years to run my Braun coffee bean grinder and it pulls 1000w. I also have a Wahl beard and moustache trimmer and the charger pulls just 1.2w so it is very versatile.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » May 12, 2007, 11:17 am

if using for charging, make sure it is a goo one, as they will heat up and turn off if not.

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » May 12, 2007, 11:54 am

LA, a good rule of thumb on chargers and other high load-limit electronic devices, check the wattage of the device you are charging (Volts X Amps) and choose a transformer at least 50% higher... 100% is better. Your problems will go away. Most folks try to 'get by' with the minimum required in an effort to save money which in the long run only costs you more. :?
Stay atop the grass

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”