PHEN, Pink card from the Ampher?

General Udon Thani topics only!
fatbob
udonmap.com

PHEN, Pink card from the Ampher?

Post by fatbob » March 23, 2018, 9:29 am

Has anyone residing in Phen, and only Phen, not other areas, succeeded in getting a 'Pink Residence Card'?

BluSliver60
udonmap.com

Re: PHEN, Pink card from the Ampher?

Post by BluSliver60 » March 23, 2018, 10:49 am

I live in Phen. I went to amphor to obtain a yellow book and was successful. This was about six months ago. I enquired about the pink id care and showed them a photo, I was told not available but will issue soon, what ever that means. They did not give me a date. I told them the pink cards were being issued in Muang and other Amphours. They said, sorry, not have here in phen. Best to call their office. I gave up because I have Thai license and yellow book so I do not see the relevance in obtaining the pink ID.

UdonThaniPete
udonmap.com

Post by UdonThaniPete » March 23, 2018, 6:53 pm

Forget Phen, they seem to make their own rules as they go along, I got my Yellow book and was told I have to wait for a year, I then met a guy who had waited for a year and he was refused and he got very irate, sounds not enough tea money being paid to the head guy there.
A pessimist see’s a difficulty in every opportunity,
A optimist see’s an opportunity in every difficulty,
I am the latter.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 23, 2018, 8:32 pm

I would like all those who want a pink card to turn up at the same time on the same day. The Ampher hates westerners and will not issue any pink cards, it would be good to apply some pressure...need numbers though.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 24, 2018, 8:52 am

Stanley Road wrote:
March 24, 2018, 8:32 am
I got one easy enough in Udon 3 months back, some official goverment place close to the park/lake in town. The wife took me down, handed over my yellow book and 80 Baht and 20 mins later walked out with a pink card. I have paid Thai price at 2 national parks and that incredibly boring dinosaur place since so by my calculations I am 600 baht in profit because of it :)

It realy was as easy as that. No tea money handed over. Just 80 Baht inc photo. In and out in 20 minutes.
I would rather this thread just for residence of Phen. You can only get your pink card at the Ampher where your yellow book is from.

thighlander
udonmap.com

Post by thighlander » March 24, 2018, 9:20 am

I actually got my yellow from the Tambon, and was sent to the Amphur for pink.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 24, 2018, 12:06 pm

thighlander wrote:
March 24, 2018, 9:20 am
In Phen?

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » March 24, 2018, 1:03 pm

fatbob wrote:
March 24, 2018, 12:06 pm
thighlander wrote:
March 24, 2018, 9:20 am
In Phen?
Don't go trying to mass a bunch of farangs, that won't work for various reasons. This could all be based on a mis-reported misunderstanding. If there's an official with a bad attitude there are better ways around it. They might well maintain it was you that were the problem. We all know racism in outlying areas is an issue, -but no need to fuel it further, especially among vindictive types with authority. If you've already had a run-in there, don't bother going back. Instead move to get it sorted without the official you have named.

Phen falls under jurisdiction of Udon Province, so there are a few ways around this issue. Including dealing with this at the Provincial or Regional level.

Can you supply the location of the office you went to in Phen? We need to determine if it's the Local Registration Office or the District Registration Office you were denied service by.

You can mark a map if needed. Or if you have GPS, or street address, all the better.

What sub-district (Tambon) and village (Mubaan) do you reside?

The 2016 rules as translated from Thai to English imply that you need a Thai ID number to get the PINK ID card. Which Thai ID do you have?

Do you have Thai Driver's license?

Are you in a Yellow Book (Tabian Baan)?

Are you married and have a Thai Marriage Certificate?

Do you have a Thai child with Thai Birth Certificate?

Do you have a work permit?

What visa type / permission to stay are you on? Business, Non-O based on Marriage, Non-O based on Child, or other?

Alternately you might wish to have a Thai legal services agent pursue it from Bangkok downwards. Most of us have references for such agents if you want them.

Here's the main office that covers this type of ID:

The Bureau of Registration Administration
Civil Registration Division
Tel.; 0-2791-7318-20
Fax; 0-2906-9216

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » March 24, 2018, 1:27 pm

Wow man it really ain't worth all that trouble, I've had mine about 5 years and can count on the fingers of one hand when it's been really useful, more so than say my Thai driving license. Only last week it was turned down by Bangkok Bank and Thai Air as identification .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » March 24, 2018, 1:49 pm

I would add to the above it actually say's on the back of it," This is NOT an Identity card " Which The Thai Air supervisor took delight in pointing out to me, as if I didn't already know .So honestly I don't know what it is .

thighlander
udonmap.com

Post by thighlander » March 24, 2018, 2:25 pm

Hotels will take it, but the airlines want to see an exact match of your ID with your ticket, which is in English. Likely international standards for airports. I was told it is only a substitute for producing your passport to police, in the Province, where it was issued. I got a lot more use out of Yellow Book, but without a Thai DL, pink is OK.

My question is would they give me a new pink as a renter, with my old one (which of course has Thai ID Number)?

thighlander
udonmap.com

Post by thighlander » March 24, 2018, 2:30 pm

it might also be worth noting, that if you have a middle name in your passport; you should have it in the airline system, if not on your boarding pass. People are being denied. Vietnam uses Last, middle, middle, first...and that is causing mass confusion as Vietjet grows large. By many definitions, your GIVEN NAME, is all names other than your SURNAME.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 24, 2018, 2:40 pm

trubrit wrote:
March 24, 2018, 1:27 pm
Wow man it really ain't worth all that trouble, I've had mine about 5 years and can count on the fingers of one hand when it's been really useful, more so than say my Thai driving license. Only last week it was turned down by Bangkok Bank and Thai Air as identification .
I have to agree, the only reason I would ever to bother getting a pink card and yellow book is if they ever become a proven asset. Other than eliminating a 30 minute visit to Immigration every 5 years for a letter of residence for my drivers license renewal both items appear to be useless and nothing but a novelty.

EDIT: Just to add there are a number of Farang here in Ban Dung with Pink Cards issued from this office, if you can't get one from Phen you may try here.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

thighlander
udonmap.com

Post by thighlander » March 24, 2018, 3:14 pm

Yellow is great if you own your own condo..you can get various utilities without hassle, especially if you don't have a WP...same for bank/brokerage accounts. Also, if you sell before five years, it is proof that you actually lived there. We (seller and buyer) just got off for 2.6% at the Land Office and I only owned it four years. If you live on your wife's prop., or your Tambon is unusually corrupt; then just forget about it.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 29, 2018, 10:32 pm

trubrit wrote:
...Only last week it was turned down by Bangkok Bank and Thai Air as identification .
So.... no money and no escape.

Bummer.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » March 30, 2018, 5:23 am

tamada wrote:
March 29, 2018, 10:32 pm
trubrit wrote:
...Only last week it was turned down by Bangkok Bank and Thai Air as identification .

Bummer.
No just used my passport which I always have with me,only mentioned it was declined to show how useless it is, certainly not worth going through the trouble , if any of obtaining it .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 30, 2018, 8:45 am

trubrit wrote:
March 30, 2018, 5:23 am
tamada wrote:
trubrit wrote:

Bummer.
No just used my passport which I always have with me,only mentioned it was declined to show how useless it is, certainly not worth going through the trouble , if any of obtaining it .
I was just joking. The passport renewal is admittedly a bit more challenging but the up-side is it is over for another 10 years.

I got my pick card maybe 2 years ago in Udon after having a yellow book for ages before that. I have used it once or twice for photo ID but agree, it hasn't been a great door-opener or enabler. Thing is, I never expected it to be and like yourself, the yellow book and Thai DL fit the bill more easily. As a buddy of mine suggested when he too decided to belatedly get one, if it's there, I qualify for it and it can be relatively easily obtained, then why now get one? With all the vagaries and unknowns of this country's benighted government and bureaucracy, better to get one while one can just in case they move the goalposts... and you know they will.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 30, 2018, 8:55 am

tamada wrote:
March 30, 2018, 8:45 am
trubrit wrote:
March 30, 2018, 5:23 am
tamada wrote:
trubrit wrote:

Bummer.
I was just joking. The passport renewal is admittedly a bit more challenging but the up-side is it is over for another 10 years.

I got my pick card maybe 2 years ago in Udon after having a yellow book for ages before that. I have used it once or twice for photo ID but agree, it hasn't been a great door-opener or enabler. Thing is, I never expected it to be and like yourself, the yellow book and Thai DL fit the bill more easily. As a buddy of mine suggested when he too decided to belatedly get one, if it's there, I qualify for it and it can be relatively easily obtained, then why now get one? With all the vagaries and unknowns of this country's benighted government and bureaucracy, better to get one while one can just in case they move the goalposts... and you know they will.

Part of the reason I want one is because I qualify, the Ampher at Phen has not issued one card to any westerner, he will ask for your wife's phone number so he can try and extort money as he tried with the issuing of the yellow book, the guy absolutely hates westerners, is totally corrupt and a racist horrible person, not much can be done until he moves to another location, his staff hate him also which makes me think he was sent here as a reprimand for something illegal at his prior posting, he is resentful. If I could go to another office I would but you can only get a card from the location in your yellow book. I wont be worrying about it for a while as I thought you could use the card for domestic flights and hotel check ins as opposed to using your passport, doing a lot of bike touring I wanted to leave the passport at home to prevent loss and damage.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 30, 2018, 9:15 am

fatbob wrote:
March 30, 2018, 8:55 am

Part of the reason I want one is because I qualify, the Ampher at Phen has not issued one card to any westerner, he will ask for your wife's phone number so he can try and extort money as he tried with the issuing of the yellow book, the guy absolutely hates westerners, is totally corrupt and a racist horrible person, not much can be done until he moves to another location, his staff hate him also which makes me think he was sent here as a reprimand for something illegal at his prior posting, he is resentful. If I could go to another office I would but you can only get a card from the location in your yellow book. I wont be worrying about it for a while as I thought you could use the card for domestic flights and hotel check ins as opposed to using your passport, doing a lot of bike touring I wanted to leave the passport at home to prevent loss and damage.
Sounds like the Phen amphur used to work as the NBLP amphur. I recall posts on this forum from way, way back where the NBLP amphur was rabidly ant-farang and refused to even acknowledge the existence of yellow books, let alone who qualifies for them.

There's a hot-line you can call to report such toss pots but up to you if you feel that Phen is too small-world and there may be repercussions.

I have used the ID card as a boarding photo ID with Thai at UTH but NOT as a check-in photo ID. It was also declined as a photo ID at the branch of Bangkok Bank in Pattaya where I have had an account forever. They did accept the Thai DL in lieu of my passport instead. The small (Thai) print on the ID card says that's it is good only for ID within the province and not in any shape or form a 'national' ID.

BluSliver60
udonmap.com

Post by BluSliver60 » March 31, 2018, 11:34 am

It appears from the recent post that I should not bother with attempting to obtain a pink card from Amphur Phen. My initial attempt was about 9 months ago and was told they "not have", and I see nothing has changed.
Also, the reference that it can only be used locally does not give the incentive to bother in the future as well.

I just returned from a 5 day stay in Bangkok and used my TDL for flights and hotel booking with no problem as I have for the past 10 years. I just wanted it as another form of ID. I went to Chang Mai about 2 years ago and was told by the person at the airport check-in counter, that foreigners will not be able to use their Thai driver's license as ID, only passports will be accept. I pushed him for a written policy and finally he said next time use passport only. Obviously, he was wrong and I usually don't have much faith in what I am told unless I see it in writing from a qualified Official source.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”