Amazon Question

General Udon Thani topics only!
Charlieb
udonmap.com

Amazon Question

Post by Charlieb » March 25, 2018, 1:21 pm

I attempted an order from Amazon, not much just several packages of Band Aids (Johnson & Johnson). Weight was not even 1 pound.

The total cost of the order was about $66. I was given two options for shipment. One was for $115, the other $166. Needless to say, I did not make the order.

I see on UM people talking about ordering from Amazon. Surely you are not paying $115 shipping fees for a small order?

What am I missing?

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Amazon Question

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 25, 2018, 2:38 pm

Charlieb wrote:
March 25, 2018, 1:21 pm
I attempted an order from Amazon, not much just several packages of Band Aids (Johnson & Johnson). Weight was not even 1 pound.

The total cost of the order was about $66. I was given two options for shipment. One was for $115, the other $166. Needless to say, I did not make the order.

I see on UM people talking about ordering from Amazon. Surely you are not paying $115 shipping fees for a small order?

What am I missing?
That you don't use Amazon for small orders?

It's only worth using amazon if the item is expensive or impossible to get in Thailand
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

marcsarge
udonmap.com

Post by marcsarge » March 25, 2018, 2:40 pm

I order items all the time from them never over 5lbs you are likely to pay twice the items price for shipping and import fee's. Most of the time they over est the import fee's about 80% to high and will credit back to your credit card. A lot of times it just to much trouble to find what I want here in LOS but I always try Ali express and Lazada first normally gets here faster and pay no import fees. Ebay works good but they will charge import and high shipping if item comes from US. Anywhere else not normally.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » March 25, 2018, 3:06 pm

Even if an expensive or hard to get item, I don’t think I would pay that much for shipping!

thighlander
udonmap.com

Post by thighlander » March 25, 2018, 4:10 pm

I just tried an order....10 boxes of 120 Bandaids (variety pack)...order 70 USD...shipping 41.50 USD...deposit to Customs
28.50...so 140 total, instead of 70 in the US. Every pharmacy in LOS sells two or five kinds of sterile strips for 5 baht per five. With all the road rash, I would imagine it is a pretty good business. Nexcare is actually 3M, and the Tiger brand is good, too. You may have a good reason, but something I noticed in 20 years of visiting and living here full-time is the expat community is loaded with mostly older people, who insist on doing things the hard way. Go to Immigration tomorrow morning at 8 am, and you can meet at least a dozen of them.

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » March 25, 2018, 5:15 pm

As much as I hate Ebay , but Amason more, EBAY forces sellers to sell with "free Shipping".
Just type "bandaids" into EBAY..see something you like, contact the seller for other "options".
Hope that help...

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » March 25, 2018, 9:52 pm

It's like any other purchase decision ... do you need it, or just want it; and what are you willing to pay?

If the price doesn't balance out with your need/want, don't buy it.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 25, 2018, 10:18 pm

Not an answer to your Amazon question, but to your quest to find J&J bandaid
http://www.monotaro.co.th/g/01009409/

Tracechain
udonmap.com

Post by Tracechain » March 26, 2018, 1:36 am

You might try one of the US address places, US Delivered for example. I've used several times and they offer a variety of shipping vendors, all expensive! Just depends on how bad you want something.
Hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast, hit 'em with the one they don't expect, and just keep hitting.

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » March 26, 2018, 9:57 am

Charlieb wrote:
March 25, 2018, 1:21 pm

What am I missing?
https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=pla ... 7616vGL48i

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 26, 2018, 10:34 am

I have only bought one item of Amazon. It was some vitamins. The shipping charge was outrageous but the customs tax was even worse. The customs tax was about double the cost of the vitamins. Never again.

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Post by Airportwo » March 26, 2018, 12:59 pm

^ If you need Vitamins use iherb.com, never had to pay duty on ~ 100 orders and shipping usually free.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » March 26, 2018, 1:10 pm

The question was *NOT* about plasters or Band Aids. That was used as only an example.
I thought, since I have seen indications of people on UM using Amazon, there must be a better way to ship the order.

Please look at the subject header. The question is about Amazon. I guess my answer is, unless I am foolish enough to pay an exorbitant fee for shipping and customs, don't use Amazon.

Thanks to those that responded.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 26, 2018, 1:21 pm

Maybe this is the way to do it..
https://flycrates.com/crate

Not that I have ever used & so have no idea what their rates are..

The idea is that you order Amazon products, but through the flycrates.com site. They internally order from Amazon & so get the zero delivery charge. They then crate your item(s) into 1 of 3 box sizes & ship to you for a pre-agreed rate..

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 26, 2018, 2:10 pm

Just Use LAZADA...................NO Probs,Just Sayin' Like....

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 26, 2018, 2:59 pm

Charlieb wrote:
March 26, 2018, 1:10 pm
The question was *NOT* about plasters or Band Aids. That was used as only an example.
I thought, since I have seen indications of people on UM using Amazon, there must be a better way to ship the order.

Please look at the subject header. The question is about Amazon. I guess my answer is, unless I am foolish enough to pay an exorbitant fee for shipping and customs, don't use Amazon.

Thanks to those that responded.
For me I only order from them if the item or any substitute is not available in Thailand or from another supplier. The one good thing is that although they use DHL the costs quote is the maximum you will pay and they often refund if the cost is less.

Also the VAT saving is 20% which makes the shipping price much less onerous.
Attachments
IMG_3651-3.jpeg
IMG_3650-3.jpeg
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”