General Udon Thani topics only!
Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » May 6, 2018, 1:02 pm

Hello all,

I am a few weeks off, moving to Udon.

Big change, semi retiring with some consulting work still for Australian clients, partnering (marrying?) my long term Thai lady, no grandparents but two kids 17 and 26, so Uni fees will come into play. We have been traveling back and forth, mostly my lady visiting me.

- Plan on buying land as international company and building house, but in a nearby village where I doubt it would be easy to sell if things go pear shaped
- Will be running an export operation out of Udon
- Need car, Farang appliances etc
- killing my brain understanding language
- Kinda Australian, kinda British in attitude so want to retain culture and contacts
- very healthy, alert and fit 70 year old, but hey, age will be an issue so insurance is prudent
- OK financially without being super rich
- Love sport, squash? tenpin Bowling, plan on being a real golfer, gym is important, swimming, fishing maybe
- have stuff I need to ship from Sydney

All I want is a 'how to' manual, anybody got one, or tips and tricks?

Essex

I am independently poor

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Re: Newbie

Post by MusicalBars » May 7, 2018, 9:49 am

I am sure you will get many different opinions but my first advice would definatley be to spend a good 6 months to a year here seeing what the situation is with the kids b4 buying house and land you say u are ready for uni fees but I have friends who have thai kids they have taken on and there still living at home and not working in there 30s.

export business will have many minefields but that same with anything u try here.

Cars and western apliances easily done these days but would use Lazada or similar for apliances as udon can still be more expensive when buying modern items.

As for social aspect u will have no problem many Aussie bars Zan Zee bar Aussie pub The Sports bar Jimjoes Harry handle bar to name a few. gym swimming 10 pin no probs golf a little limited in this area 9 hole courses but travel an hour and ther are 18 holes I have not herd of a squash court but not something I have looked for so maybe around.

Hope this helps a little and wish you all the best with your move

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » May 7, 2018, 6:24 pm

If you're the least bit OCD and you're not suited to chaos and total disorder, then this place will drive you nutters and you'll never be able to accept the way things are here. If that's the case you'd better stay in Australia or you'll die a miserable old man. You'll never even realize that you can't fit in until you've been here over a year because you'll keep thinking that sooner or later you will assimulate, but by then it's too late and you will have burned most of your bridges back home and made too many investments here to bail out easily. This place will suck the life right out of you!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » May 7, 2018, 6:36 pm

Kinda Australian, kinda British
That duplicity will come in useful.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » May 7, 2018, 6:43 pm

Hi mate I am an Aussie and live here for the past five years I enjoy my life here and like quite a few here live in a village, I had been coming to Thailand for quite a few years before I retired not Udon.
I would be happy to help you if I can in what ever way.
Because you are new on the forum you can not PM but if you would like some help we can exchange emails.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 7, 2018, 7:01 pm

I agree with a fair chunk of what musicalbars says, I’d recommend renting for a while and work out what suits before you buy anything, I came here with one bunch of ideas and now I’m doing something quite different. There are so many different areas, farang estates, farmland, in town, out of town.... Take your time making up your mind is my advice too.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

mac1966
udonmap.com

Post by mac1966 » May 7, 2018, 8:48 pm

70 years young and preparing for things going pear shape in the future.

How much to spend on land and build a place. 5 million plus plus . Many housing estates here with club house and swimming pools security guards and rents are cheap. Get a bad neighbour and easy to move. Plenty of property to rent.

Oh and the more bedrooms you have the more guests you will have semi permanently staying.

I guess your moving up here to be near her family.

Rent for at least two years before you commit any serious spend here.

See how they treat the rented property then make your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » May 8, 2018, 8:39 am

Don't buy just rent like most of us will tell you.this place is so frustrating when you need something done and done right.plenty to do in the keeping yourself motivated.dont know much about trying to run a business from here but I can tell you it won't be easy for sure.paperwork and red tape here is their specialty.they love to send you around in big circles.best tip of all don't lend money or cars as they see it as you've given it to them.they are experts at finding your weak spots and will walk all over you if you let them.all in all Thais are one amazing race living in amazing Thailand as you will find out.good luck and make sure you don't break all your ties with your homeland and don't bring everything in your life here.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 8, 2018, 4:57 pm

Forgot to ask what part of Essex you're from, I'm ex north stifford near lakeside.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » May 8, 2018, 7:53 pm

Don't ship anything, it will cost you more than its worth.
Make a list of what you want/ Need.
If you come for the sex industery, stay around Pattaya
Come for the beaches and diving, stay around Phuket
Want fast big city life, stay around BKK
Come for the cheap living and variety of farm raised foods, come to Udon.
Stay away from the "drinking buddies".
Don't try to impress anyone
get some hobbies and mind your own business
Then you won't be part of those who"Crash & burn". Or go home to Mommy or mysteriously "slip" off a balcony.
Just my 2 baht. Hope that helps......

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » May 8, 2018, 11:08 pm

You will know the Treacle Goldmine then Vince. I used to dig in Grays when i worked at the power station in Tilbury used to go up there every Saturday.

cassidy

Post by cassidy » May 9, 2018, 6:55 am

Give it ago mate go and enjoy yourself if works it works if not well =D>

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » May 9, 2018, 11:04 am

the only bit of advice you should listen to on felixcat post is re the shipping as usual for the rest of the post its all crap as u mentioned your coming here for Thai lady and family not all the other rubish he is on about

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » May 9, 2018, 12:36 pm

seems like your missus has come to you overseas most of the time, and now you are coming here. No problem, but you need to be adventurous in nature, can handle your own company, can take a few knocks, and can roll with the punches. A lot of questions never get answered, which can be frustrating when it comes to serious matters, and all you want is the truth so you can make an informed opinion. I am use to living alone in remote places, yet when you add a different culture, and difference language to the mix as well, you can be a stranger in your own Thai family.

My missus speaks quirky english, but the rest of the family, no a sausage, and she spends more time with them than with me, so I am left to fend for myself for hours everyday..I dont know how many crash helmuts I have bought for them, but they sit covered in dust in a cabinet, and no matter what I say, they dont listen..and it can be all my fault when things go pear shape like buying the wrong land.Yet no one said boo when the deal was going down...so you need to have a thick hide as well..we built a modern house but they still sit outside morning and night, camped around the garden tap, doing thier laundry, bathing, teeth, and washing the dishes. It has taken them 3yrs and me to tell them that if you open the bedroom door and close the kitchen door you can air con the lounge and bedrooms all at once, and here they all were camped in the main bedroom, now we can watch tv and internet in cooled bliss...they dont seem to have been poisoned by logic.

A business..hmmmm...be prepared to fail..I am trying to get heavy machinery in from USA, and might give up..to many fences to jump.

you will find friends easy enough, just drive past the bars and you will see all the twisted faces staring back...

my missus is a teacher, and from what I now know of the education system, I wouldnt be sending my kids to uni in this part of the world

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » May 9, 2018, 1:09 pm

I can not believe all the negative comments on his thread! Does anyone have anything positive to say about LOS? Are you all whinging pommies (as we used to call english migrants that came to Oz and never stopped wishing for everything to be like the old country)
Must be about time to enjoy the benefits of your new adopted domicile! Yes, OK, I am not in LOS yet, soon to come to live,but this thread is enough to make me wonder about that decision. Maybe philapines?

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » May 9, 2018, 1:46 pm

You misspelled philistines. And yes, quite likely.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » May 9, 2018, 1:59 pm

Keep yourself busy with work projects or hobbies and try not to drink too much , I think a big problem here with expats is that boredom eventually leads to them drinking too much alcohol.

I wish you well with your move :)

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » May 9, 2018, 2:06 pm

https://www.youtube.com/user/notime2bsad/videos

Watch a few of this guys videos for a positive slant on Thai expat life

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 9, 2018, 2:41 pm

I can identify with many of makkas comments. It's not a case of whinging its a case of being able and prepared to adjust to things that you had not expected.

My friends in Uk use to say it must be absolute heaven to be able to play golf 2 or 3 times a week with a caddy for less than it cost for one round back home ............ yes it was heaven most of the time, but even with a caddy walking 8 - 10 km in 40+ degrees with little shade can be hard (especially if your not having a good round).

Many many things that you only realise when you experience them. It's up to the individual to make the best of what you have and to find ways to accept and enjoy the unexpected bits that crop up along the way.

Big boss
udonmap.com

Post by Big boss » May 9, 2018, 4:30 pm

Hi mate...
You will find Udon Thani a nice place to live.
And find everything you need to live Big supermarkets
DIY stores ,hospital good eating in and around Udon ..
Airport with flights to Chiang Mai ,Phuket Bangkok
Etc....
Some nice bars and good people in them too easy to make
Friends if you want ..
Night markets and smell of FRESH fish food lovely fruit,
Cakes everything you could wish for cold beer, Ok sometimes not so cold lol
Business your plans not sure ...
Only reason am saying this because not know about your import business and not my business but good luck anyway
I see many people have put there views to you that's what they think and trying to be helpful ..
You have to live there and fine out for yourself
Good side and the bad side of Udon Thai !!
But like anyway In the world always good and bad let's hope good !!!!!and enjoy your retirement ...
And maybe one day our paths will cross for a cold beer with our ladies wife and friends and we can see what you think of Udon Thani...
Anyway all the best for the future Big boss ....

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”