Are Paracetamol tablets harmful to dogs..

General Udon Thani topics only!
Mudguard
udonmap.com

Are Paracetamol tablets harmful to dogs..

Post by Mudguard » July 30, 2018, 6:26 pm

I was told give a sick dog Paracetamol tabs 500gm...Would they be harmful in any way...

the-monk
udonmap.com

Re: Are Paracetamol tablets harmful to dogs..

Post by the-monk » July 30, 2018, 6:43 pm

Few weeks ago we had an old dog in pain, Thai would not do anything, I took upon myself to give a 13 year-old dog a 500 mg paracetamol... Within 10 minutes the dog was resting peacefully with no sign of pain. I search the internet and most sites suggest NOT to give paracetamol to dogs, and use proper animal medication. There is a pharmacy on Posri road across the street from 7-11 , near the train station (next door to the motocycle shop located on the corner ) that has such animal drugs.
Good luck.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » July 30, 2018, 6:55 pm

You definitely do not want to give paracetamol (Tylenol) to a pet as it can be deadly. See your vet for pain meds and in a pinch if need right away give them an aspirin with food.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 30, 2018, 9:52 pm

Stantheman wrote:
July 30, 2018, 6:55 pm
You definitely do not want to give paracetamol (Tylenol) to a pet as it can be deadly. See your vet for pain meds and in a pinch if need right away give them an aspirin with food.
Thats handy to know Stan ........ any idea how much is required to be deadly :evil:

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » July 30, 2018, 10:53 pm

Found this;
"In dogs, paracetamol poisoning can occur if they ingest 75 mg per kilogram of body weight. Kidney and liver failure can occur from paracetamol poisoning."

https://wagwalking.com/condition/paracetamol-poisoning

I personally care for my pets to much to chance even a small dose. Remember even a human can overdose on the drug if they take to much over time

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 31, 2018, 7:48 am

Stantheman wrote:
July 30, 2018, 10:53 pm
Found this;
"In dogs, paracetamol poisoning can occur if they ingest 75 mg per kilogram of body weight. Kidney and liver failure can occur from paracetamol poisoning."

https://wagwalking.com/condition/paracetamol-poisoning

I personally care for my pets to much to chance even a small dose. Remember even a human can overdose on the drug if they take to much over time
Paracetamol Poisoning in humans doesn't have to be over time a single overdose dose (without treatment) can do it. Unfortunately though after the overdose that kills it does take a few days to die during which the person doesn't feel very bad.

It also seems from your information that dog and humans could be similar.
The recommended dose of paracetamol is 4 g (or 75 mg/kg) in 24 hours for an adult patient. Any ingestion exceeding this is regarded as an overdose. However, toxicity is extremely unlikely if <75 mg/kg paracetamol has been ingested within a 24-hour period. Single acute overdose is defined as an ingestion of >4 g (or >75 mg/kg) in a period of <1 hour.
For me around 16 mg/kg per 4 hours works well (3x500mg tablets), often only a onetime dose is effective, SWMBO takes about 18 mg/kg

An interesting fact
In the United States, acetaminophen (paracetamol) toxicity has replaced viral hepatitis as the most common cause of acute liver failure.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » July 31, 2018, 12:26 pm

They are ok for dogs, but are a slow death for cats, never give them to a cat. If you do there is a drug that counteracts it, but we were unable to find it in Udon.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » July 31, 2018, 12:59 pm

alternatives for dog medication are children medications , vets use these also , mostly the sirop variations... ;)

Mudguard
udonmap.com

Post by Mudguard » July 31, 2018, 6:07 pm

Thank you members for your input....Mudguard

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”