Supermarket prices out of control

General Udon Thani topics only!
747man
udonmap.com

Re: Supermarket prices out of control

Post by 747man » December 13, 2018, 9:07 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
December 13, 2018, 8:27 pm
Can get 20 x 30gm boxes (600g) of kellogs frosties for B150 at Old Tescos currently :-D

747 do you actually eat Tescos cornflakes or just use them for cooking reason I ask is my mum always said they were the best for cheesecake bases and choccy pyramids etc, but always brought Kellogs for breakfast :roll:
NO Statts, I Prefer Tesco's Own Brand they seem to have been toasted longer & Have a Better Crunch & Taste better than Kellogs....

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 13, 2018, 9:20 pm

Probably the "crunch" that made them better to cook with :lol:

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » December 13, 2018, 11:08 pm

Kellogg's Frosted Flakes used to be my favourite, but now I have switched to Quaker's Oats Apple and Cinnamon or Maple and Cinnamon. I add blueberries to that mixture. It is not too bad for a breakfast. On the weekends I go with sausages and eggs with peanut butter on toast.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 14, 2018, 6:54 am

"On the weekends I go with sausages and eggs with peanut butter on toast."

Doesnt the egg yolk make the peanut butter go all "runny" :lol:

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » December 14, 2018, 8:40 am

No, because I don't like runny eggs; however, I get your drift. I should have written the sentence a bit differently so that it made sense.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » December 14, 2018, 9:05 am

When we do the monthly or fortnightly big shop, I usually buy Aro cornflakes at Makro, 1000 gms, wife says 159 baht.

daithic
udonmap.com

Post by daithic » June 4, 2020, 3:43 pm

Rather than start a new thread, I have dragged up an old one. This time I'm talking about Tesco brand chocolate. WTF!! Not too long ago these rather tasty 200gr bars were a standard 65THB each for whatever flavour tickled your fancy - dark, fruit and nut, hazelnut. They seemed to disappear from stock for a few months in the Tescos around town.
Now they're back, at least in Rangsina and UD Town.
But there's a catch.
Plain Dark chocolate is 66THB. Ok, it's a 1THB increase.
There's a new white chocolate that's 78THB.
Then another (forget the flavour at the moment) which is 99THB.
And fruit and nut has jumped to 120THB.
All they have done is changed the wrapper.
I really don't understand how they justify an almost 100% increase in the price of a fruit and nut.
Anyway else partial to this chocolate have any experience of buying it outside of Udon? Is it the same in Tescos around Thailand?

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 4, 2020, 4:29 pm

daithic wrote:
June 4, 2020, 3:43 pm
Rather than start a new thread, I have dragged up an old one. This time I'm talking about Tesco brand chocolate. WTF!! Not too long ago these rather tasty 200gr bars were a standard 65THB each for whatever flavour tickled your fancy - dark, fruit and nut, hazelnut. They seemed to disappear from stock for a few months in the Tescos around town.
But there's a catch.
I really don't understand how they justify an almost 100% increase in the price of a fruit and nut.
Anyway else partial to this chocolate have any experience of buying it outside of Udon? Is it the same in Tescos around Thailand?
Yep, I Was rather Partial to the Dark Chocolate and used to buy a bar at least once a Week ( BIG Spender " Eh ?? ) But as you said it disappeared without trace from their Nong Khai Store,Alas it still hasn't returned there ......YET !!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 4, 2020, 4:33 pm

747man wrote:
December 13, 2018, 9:07 pm
stattointhailand wrote:
December 13, 2018, 8:27 pm
Can get 20 x 30gm boxes (600g) of kellogs frosties for B150 at Old Tescos currently :-D

747 do you actually eat Tescos cornflakes or just use them for cooking reason I ask is my mum always said they were the best for cheesecake bases and choccy pyramids etc, but always brought Kellogs for breakfast :roll:
NO Statts, I Prefer Tesco's Own Brand they seem to have been toasted longer & Have a Better Crunch & Taste better than Kellogs....
Funnily enough they are made by the same people .

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 4, 2020, 4:53 pm

daithic wrote:
June 4, 2020, 3:43 pm
But there's a catch.
same at old tesco ....... to be fair though even at the increased price it still compares favorably with the other brands which are B100+ for 100gms .........BTW wasnt the old Tesco choc in 150gm packs for B65?
Old Tesco now have stock of Tesco assorted mints (200g) and Butter Mintoes (200g) reduced to B28 a pack

daithic
udonmap.com

Post by daithic » June 4, 2020, 4:59 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 4, 2020, 4:53 pm
BTW wasnt the old Tesco choc in 150gm packs for B65?
Pretty sure they were 200gr bars, exactly the same size as these latest ones.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 4, 2020, 5:44 pm

Tesco now have stock of Tesco assorted mints (200g) and Butter Mintoes (200g) reduced to B28 a pack.....NOT In NK,They are both 59 Baht a Bag.....

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 4, 2020, 6:04 pm

Haven't read all this but from what I can see nothing has changed?

Did my weekly shopping in BigC, Ban Dung today = not a single purchase was inflated.

I'm thinking some of you people have been isolated to much and need to get your meds checked or get out and breath some fresh air!
Edit:Or if you have a problem to afford a few extra Baht pack your bags and go elsewhere!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » June 4, 2020, 6:56 pm

In Big C pork fillet has increased from 180 baht a kilo to 340 baht, that's a huge difference but didn't stop me buying it. Seems an outbreak of something has restricted the availability

daithic
udonmap.com

Post by daithic » June 4, 2020, 7:15 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
June 4, 2020, 6:04 pm
Or if you have a problem to afford a few extra Baht pack your bags and go elsewhere!
Ah, the mother of all arguments to anyone who makes the slightest complaint about anything here. Well done, sir!
I must give in to your intellectual prowess and hide my head in shame at being so intrepid as to poke my toe out of the rose-tinted glasses tent.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 4, 2020, 7:57 pm

daithic wrote:
June 4, 2020, 7:15 pm
Ah, the mother of all arguments to anyone who makes the slightest complaint about anything here. Well done, sir!
I must give in to your intellectual prowess and hide my head in shame at being so intrepid as to poke my toe out of the rose-tinted glasses tent.
Doesn't Thailand's economy (at least notionally) operate under a market-driven system ie capitalism?

Would you like to see that change, and price controls introduced throughout the economy?

samsam
udonmap.com

Post by samsam » June 4, 2020, 8:39 pm

daithic wrote:
Bandung_Dero wrote:
June 4, 2020, 6:04 pm
Or if you have a problem to afford a few extra Baht pack your bags and go elsewhere!
=D> =D> =D>

daithic
udonmap.com

Post by daithic » June 4, 2020, 9:11 pm

jackspratt wrote:
June 4, 2020, 7:57 pm
daithic wrote:
Doesn't Thailand's economy (at least notionally) operate under a market-driven system ie capitalism?

Would you like to see that change, and price controls introduced throughout the economy?
Perhaps you would care to explain what is market-driven by increasing one bar of chocolate by 1 THB (0.015% increase) and another by 55 THB (85% increase), when they are part of the same series of chocolate bars a few months ago, all priced at 65 THB?

The UK is also a market-driven system ie capitalism and yet

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /300794948
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /300794925
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /300795164
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /300794960

they're all the same price of £1.00, jackTWAT.

So not only are they nearly and more than doubling the price of Tesco in the UK, they are also charging different prices for the different flavours of the same chocolate bar series, something which Tesco in the UK does not do.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » June 4, 2020, 9:19 pm

dunroaming wrote:
June 4, 2020, 6:56 pm
In Big C pork fillet has increased from 180 baht a kilo to 340 baht, that's a huge difference but didn't stop me buying it. Seems an outbreak of something has restricted the availability
You've most likely bought the organic pork, regular pork is only 130ish per kilo
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 4, 2020, 9:42 pm

Blimey that means the heart/liver and other ORGANS are bloomin' expensive

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”