Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

General Udon Thani topics only!
choi choi
udonmap.com
Posts: 357
Joined: March 5, 2018, 10:35 pm

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by choi choi » December 5, 2019, 9:17 am

OMG I wish I never asked! :cry:



User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 815
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by AlexO » December 5, 2019, 10:01 am

pal52 wrote:
December 5, 2019, 8:38 am
choi choi wrote:
December 5, 2019, 7:53 am
Piddling amounts maybe.But over 20 years I'd like to know how much I lose out.
My pension was frozen in year 2000.My pension is 397 pound a month.
I wonder what the present day pension is.
I'm thinking quite a substantial amount more than I get now
Pension now is 168.60 pounds per week.
Which is 730.60 pounds per month.
Quite a significant difference nearly double.
You are slightly out Pal52, after the 6 months delay (theft by the Government) on my pension payments from the 23 November 2019 I will recieve 181.45 UK Pounds a week for my/and my employers contributions for 40 years of working. This works out as 786.23 quid a month. Sorry Choi Choi just goes to show what this criminal descrimination of where you live has on some people. Trouble is that for all the electioneering and promises being made it is unlikely to change anytime soon

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 4315
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by tamada » December 5, 2019, 10:05 am

karonsteve wrote:
December 5, 2019, 7:45 am
Having the good fortune to live in the bootifull south west of England I get my annual pension increase which this year was £6.92 a month or £83.04 a year.
For convenience sake I have rounded it up to £7 multiplied by today's Superrich FX rate of 39.35 equates to 272 baht a month or 3,268 baht a year.
With these piddling amounts which should I assume that the bitching in this thread is on principle alone or just bitching alone?
For those who have been receiving their pensions for a significant period of say 10 years or more. You are now possibly 33,000 baht a decade worse off since you retired.
What are you going to spend it on you daffy old bastard?
From my perspective it is far better off in the UK than in your wife's bank account.

I almost forget to add that I have recently had a £200 winter fuel allowance and a £10 Christmas bonus from my good friend the DWP.
Eat your hearts out those who are stuck in depressing Udon....555
To paraphrase Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore, "I love the smell of a prescient, relevant and substantiated post in the morning. Smells like... reality!"

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 4315
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by tamada » December 5, 2019, 10:12 am

choi choi wrote:
December 5, 2019, 7:53 am
Piddling amounts maybe.But over 20 years I'd like to know how much I lose out.
My pension was frozen in year 2000.My pension is 397 pound a month.
I wonder what the present day pension is.
I'm thinking quite a substantial amount more than I get now
I can't think of anything more wasteful than pondering how much money I possibly didn't get from the government and have no recourse to reclaim even if they did owe me.

For depressingly persistent irrelevance, it's right up their with the heated, twice-monthly, post-lottery moobahn debate on how 'close' someone's now deceased second cousins boyfriend was to the recently called numbers way back in the first week of August last year.

User avatar
joepai
udonmap.com
Posts: 559
Joined: February 25, 2012, 1:21 pm

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by joepai » December 5, 2019, 3:11 pm

Pension now is 168.60 pounds per week.
Which is 730.60 pounds per month.
Quite a significant difference nearly double.
[/quote]

Do they not pay 4 wekly i.e. not monthly ?
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

pal52
udonmap.com
Posts: 774
Joined: September 18, 2013, 10:54 am

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by pal52 » December 5, 2019, 3:49 pm

joepai wrote:
December 5, 2019, 3:11 pm
Pension now is 168.60 pounds per week.
Which is 730.60 pounds per month.
Quite a significant difference nearly double.
Do they not pay 4 wekly i.e. not monthly ?
[/quote]

168.6 x 52= 8767.2
8767.2 / 12 = 730.6
I get paid monthly into my bank in Thailand

User avatar
747man
udonmap.com
Posts: 10233
Joined: March 25, 2007, 2:22 pm

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by 747man » December 5, 2019, 4:07 pm

pal52 wrote:
December 5, 2019, 3:49 pm
joepai wrote:
December 5, 2019, 3:11 pm
Pension now is 168.60 pounds per week.
Which is 730.60 pounds per month.
Quite a significant difference nearly double.
Do they not pay 4 wekly i.e. not monthly ?
168.6 x 52= 8767.2
8767.2 / 12 = 730.6
I get paid monthly into my bank in Thailand
[/quote]No You Don't It's Every 4 Weeks to the DAY ( Same Day Every Month )

choi choi
udonmap.com
Posts: 357
Joined: March 5, 2018, 10:35 pm

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by choi choi » December 5, 2019, 6:26 pm

Same here but sent to bank UK. Every friday of the month

pal52
udonmap.com
Posts: 774
Joined: September 18, 2013, 10:54 am

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by pal52 » December 5, 2019, 6:33 pm

747man wrote:
December 5, 2019, 4:07 pm
pal52 wrote:
December 5, 2019, 3:49 pm
joepai wrote:
December 5, 2019, 3:11 pm
Pension now is 168.60 pounds per week.
Which is 730.60 pounds per month.
Quite a significant difference nearly double.
Do they not pay 4 wekly i.e. not monthly ?
168.6 x 52= 8767.2
8767.2 / 12 = 730.6
I get paid monthly into my bank in Thailand
No You Don't It's Every 4 Weeks to the DAY ( Same Day Every Month )
[/quote]

You have a choice when you get paid.
I chose to get paid every 3 months and I get paid on the 8th of the month .
Hence the monthly and weekly calculations.
Pick which calculation applies to you.

User avatar
Khun Paul
udonmap.com
Posts: 3830
Joined: September 16, 2008, 3:28 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by Khun Paul » December 6, 2019, 7:36 am

I preferred the 4 weekly system as you get it 13 times a year , and you can gain from the fluctuations in the exchange rate easier, also of course you get the bad exchange rate, but on less money .

User avatar
747man
udonmap.com
Posts: 10233
Joined: March 25, 2007, 2:22 pm

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by 747man » December 6, 2019, 11:22 am

I Still get mine every 4 Weeks on a Wednesday So yeah 13 Times per Year....My Next Payment will be on Christmas Day,Luckily the Banks are Open Here !! Thank You & A Merry Christmas ( Bah Humbug )

User avatar
arjay
udonmap.com
Posts: 8278
Joined: October 2, 2005, 12:19 pm
Location: Gone to get a life, "troll free"

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by arjay » December 6, 2019, 9:36 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
December 6, 2019, 7:36 am
I preferred the 4 weekly system as you get it 13 times a year , and you can gain from the fluctuations in the exchange rate easier, also of course you get the bad exchange rate, but on less money .
Do you get the winter fuel allowance?

User avatar
747man
udonmap.com
Posts: 10233
Joined: March 25, 2007, 2:22 pm

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by 747man » December 6, 2019, 11:48 pm

arjay wrote:
December 6, 2019, 9:36 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
December 6, 2019, 7:36 am
I preferred the 4 weekly system as you get it 13 times a year , and you can gain from the fluctuations in the exchange rate easier, also of course you get the bad exchange rate, but on less money .
Do you get the winter fuel allowance?
Sure Arjay, And the COLD Weather Payments Plus The Christmas Bonus !! Nah Only Kidding.....NOWT Extra here.

User avatar
Khun Paul
udonmap.com
Posts: 3830
Joined: September 16, 2008, 3:28 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by Khun Paul » December 7, 2019, 7:09 am

arjay wrote:
December 6, 2019, 9:36 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
December 6, 2019, 7:36 am
I preferred the 4 weekly system as you get it 13 times a year , and you can gain from the fluctuations in the exchange rate easier, also of course you get the bad exchange rate, but on less money .
Do you get the winter fuel allowance?

Nope sadly I am honest .

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 815
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by AlexO » December 19, 2019, 11:14 am

Slightly off topic gents but to do with UK pensions.
Received my first payment a couple of days ago paid by UK DWP into my Thai Kasikorn account. Was a bit concerned that the total paid was quite a bit lower than I had calculated. For the UK pounds amount it seems as if I only received 34.29 Baht to the Pound. Is this correct or are Kasikorn taking a large commission for Gov UK transferring Thai Baht directly to my account. Any help/info would be gratefully accepted while I wait on an answer from DWP in the UK.

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 815
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by AlexO » January 23, 2020, 6:22 pm

Just watched a new thing from Boris. Its called peoples PMQ's where Joe Average can post a question to the PM and he answers (in the usual politicians way) directly to the camera's. Got in touch with a mate in the UK and asked how you can post these questions. Answer below.
"First thing to do is ‘like’ the official Boris Johnson Facebook page.
When he does a Facebook question sesh you get a Facebook notification so click on that and it will bring up the video feed. You can then post questions."
What would be the result if some UM member wordsmith put together a clever question that we could all copy and paste but use our own names decrying the discrimination on pension increases etc and we all posted to his Facebook Account hopefully for an answer. Just a thought but might bring a result.

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 4315
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by tamada » January 23, 2020, 9:29 pm

^ Where are the unicorns when you really need them?

User avatar
Khun Paul
udonmap.com
Posts: 3830
Joined: September 16, 2008, 3:28 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by Khun Paul » January 24, 2020, 4:26 am

AlexO wrote:
December 19, 2019, 11:14 am
Slightly off topic gents but to do with UK pensions.
Received my first payment a couple of days ago paid by UK DWP into my Thai Kasikorn account. Was a bit concerned that the total paid was quite a bit lower than I had calculated. For the UK pounds amount it seems as if I only received 34.29 Baht to the Pound. Is this correct or are Kasikorn taking a large commission for Gov UK transferring Thai Baht directly to my account. Any help/info would be gratefully accepted while I wait on an answer from DWP in the UK.
I get both my pensions paid into my Thai bank account in Pounds, then the bank does the change at normally the TT rate plus about 120-150 Thb per transaction, you lose when you send Thb as the UK banks that sends it , will charge for the conversion

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 815
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by AlexO » January 24, 2020, 2:04 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
January 24, 2020, 4:26 am
AlexO wrote:
December 19, 2019, 11:14 am
Slightly off topic gents but to do with UK pensions.
Received my first payment a couple of days ago paid by UK DWP into my Thai Kasikorn account. Was a bit concerned that the total paid was quite a bit lower than I had calculated. For the UK pounds amount it seems as if I only received 34.29 Baht to the Pound. Is this correct or are Kasikorn taking a large commission for Gov UK transferring Thai Baht directly to my account. Any help/info would be gratefully accepted while I wait on an answer from DWP in the UK.
I get both my pensions paid into my Thai bank account in Pounds, then the bank does the change at normally the TT rate plus about 120-150 Thb per transaction, you lose when you send Thb as the UK banks that sends it , will charge for the conversion
Thanks Paul
I found out that the DWP do not wait until the 4 weeks are completed before they make the first payment. Guy in the UK confirmed I was only paid for 3 weeks and 2 days hence the shortfall. Would be nice if they told you.

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 815
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by AlexO » January 24, 2020, 6:14 pm

tamada wrote:
January 23, 2020, 9:29 pm
^ Where are the unicorns when you really need them?
Is there any harm in trying Tam. Sometimes these things actually work. Plus Boris seems to be someone who listens (I know I might be delusional) so what's the harm. Its not like we are all so busy we cannot afford the time.

Post Reply

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”