Any input from those experienced in studying the Thai language and culture?

General Udon Thani topics only!
frankieboy37
udonmap.com

Any input from those experienced in studying the Thai language and culture?

Post by frankieboy37 » December 25, 2018, 7:37 pm

I happened to click on the link advertising a new 5 star hotel in the Udon vicinity and I saw a fairly brief passage in English followed by what I thought was a translation of the English into Thai or vice a versa.
Here is the link viewtopic.php?p=530858#p530858

Because it was a 5-star operation announcing itself on the stage I was hopeful the translation would also qualify for some quality stars and assist me in my Thai studies.
The quality of the writing per-se in either language seemed to be beyond much criticism but it most definitely was not a translation. Yes, both pieces were saying what a jolly fine hotel it is for people to stay in Udon but the detail was eerily very different. I say eerily because this was not a shoddy after thought but a mainstream promotion so I concluded that the content was intentionally aimed to be so different as a business strategy.
To those of you with experience in this field here, is this a standard approach in business to target with two such different styles?

On a quite different point I would support “fdmike” who made the comment that he wouldn’t want to stay there even if it was free but no doubt the owners of the hotel have market projections that focus on very different wants.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Any input from those experienced in studying the Thai language and culture?

Post by parrot » December 25, 2018, 8:37 pm

I'll take a stab: Let's say I was the owner of a coffee shop similar to Beyond Cafe. My English advertisement would appeal to Western tastes.......the carefully-brewed coffee, the desserts, the service, maybe the location. My Thai advertisement, on the other hand, would appeal to the Asian selfie appetite for I'm-in-a-place-that-you're-not-and-don't-I-look-beautiful-with-this iced-coffee-and-piece-of-cake.
I'd do the same for a place like Dose......English emphasizing the fusion-food, the quality of service, the delicious coffee......Thai emphasizing the photogenic atmosphere along with the food/drinks.

In the case of the hotel, when you enter it, you immediately know you're in the midst of a Mediterranean atmosphere......hookahs and staff dress included. On a visit to Phuket with my brother and daughter years ago, we had a bowl of noodle soup at a roadside shop sporting the star and crescent on their sign. That's pretty much a sign that you don't ask for ก๋วยเตี๋ยวหมู or try ordering a rib-eye in a restaurant that has a เจ sign hanging out front.
On the cultural side of the house......while at the noodle shop (back in 2006) if he was affected by the tsunami. He sat with my brother, daughter, and I and recounted how his newly-supplied sunglasses hut on the beach was wiped out.......he couldn't contact his wife for 2 days (at her shop atop a hill) to tell her he survived and didn't know if she or his children were okay. Despite 2 years passing since the tsunami, when he told the story he had tears in his eyes. We had a blast in Phuket over several days....but that encounter with the noodle store was the highlight for me.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (15.72 KiB) Viewed 480 times

maaka
udonmap.com

Re: Any input from those experienced in studying the Thai language and culture?

Post by maaka » December 26, 2018, 2:55 am

I have no experience in study of Thai lingo, but I would have thought that if your are a business with a name from the Koran say, but were located in a Buddhist Country, where also many westerners frequent, that you would have two, maybe three different speels on your website thingy, in order to encompass all cultural tastes and preferences..I believe some english language cannot be explained in Thai words, or in Arabic thinking, ( if the place in question is owned by middle eastern concerns..) my missus certainly doesnt care if a place is quiet, roomy, and has an en suite, which I might list, no she is off on another tangent altogether, as is the way between Thai's and Westerners..whether it is a business strategy, or just pandering to each cultures tastes and way of thinking, or whether the actual writer was Thai themselves is beyond me

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”