WHAT AREA THE ADVANTAGES OF HAVING A THAI ID CARD?

General Udon Thani topics only!
vidmaster
udonmap.com

WHAT AREA THE ADVANTAGES OF HAVING A THAI ID CARD?

Post by vidmaster » January 28, 2019, 12:28 pm

Can anyone tell me what the advantages ( if any) and any disadvantages of having a Thai ID card

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: WHAT AREA THE ADVANTAGES OF HAVING A THAI ID CARD?

Post by vincemunday » January 28, 2019, 12:45 pm

I use it in hotels instead of giving them my passport and in supermarkets when I use my Big C card etc.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » January 28, 2019, 1:00 pm

I have had no issues using my Thai drivers license at hotels. I have no needed a Thai ID card for anything.

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » January 28, 2019, 2:18 pm

Hi Vince
What is procedure and status required to apply for the ID
I’m on O Visa rent a flat and not married
Would I qualify and what documentation would I need to supply other than my passport?
Thanks

Adhoc
udonmap.com

Post by Adhoc » January 28, 2019, 3:39 pm

As far as I am aware, the only advantage of having a pink Thai ID card is that it gets you into national parks at Thai price.
For internal flights, hotels etc. a Thai driving licence is fine.
I have a couple of friends who have one of these cards, they tell me the requirements to get one are you must be married and have a yellow house book.

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » January 28, 2019, 3:54 pm

Thanks

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 28, 2019, 8:38 pm

I finished my employment recently in Dubai and when booking to fly back to Thailand I totally forgot about the flight out of Thailand, just had a one way in. The check in people were being quite strict on having a flight out of Thailand before issuing the boarding pass, they told me I would have to go and buy a ticket out. I did not have a visa. Any way after some discussion the light finally came on in the grey matter to show my Pink ID card as proof I reside in Thailand. No problem then, was waved through with smiles..
So for me it was worthwhile paying the 60 bht for the ID.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 28, 2019, 11:12 pm

Adhoc wrote:
January 28, 2019, 3:39 pm
As far as I am aware, the only advantage of having a pink Thai ID card is that it gets you into national parks at Thai price.
For internal flights, hotels etc. a Thai driving licence is fine.
I have a couple of friends who have one of these cards, they tell me the requirements to get one are you must be married and have a yellow house book.
AFIK, I will be asking in a few weeks, the main requirement is having a yellow book, I think being married makes things easier but isn't required.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

ajsp9
udonmap.com

Post by ajsp9 » January 29, 2019, 2:56 am

Barney wrote:
January 28, 2019, 8:38 pm
I finished my employment recently in Dubai and when booking to fly back to Thailand I totally forgot about the flight out of Thailand, just had a one way in. The check in people were being quite strict on having a flight out of Thailand before issuing the boarding pass, they told me I would have to go and buy a ticket out. I did not have a visa. Any way after some discussion the light finally came on in the grey matter to show my Pink ID card as proof I reside in Thailand. No problem then, was waved through with smiles..
So for me it was worthwhile paying the 60 bht for the ID.
Useful story and experience. What I’ve experienced in Thailand is that rules seem to be so arbitrary and changeable down to each individual/ premises/ situation and office. That said I believe a card like this is worth having if you can get one.

I think I would get a card myself as I can only see positive things from having one and no real negatives.

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » January 29, 2019, 6:12 am

My pink Thai ID card has been somewhat of a hit and miss experience. It hasn't been honored at all of the government fee facilities, although most have admitted me for the Thai citizen price. I've also tried it at private facilities that charged higher fees for foreigners with occasional success in getting the Thai admission price. The pink ID is relatively new, I think, and is therefore unknown to some.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » January 29, 2019, 6:53 am

its better to have and NOT need , than to need and NOT have … 60 baht and 30 mins No prob ( make sure you know your blood type before Appling )

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » January 29, 2019, 11:11 am

My pink card is in thai only
Went to Wattana Hospital couldn't use it as their system for names is in our script
Drivers licence did the trick

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 3, 2019, 12:44 pm

noosard wrote:
January 29, 2019, 11:11 am
My pink card is in thai only
Went to Wattana Hospital couldn't use it as their system for names is in our script
Drivers licence did the trick
So if a Thai wants to register at Wattana Hospital, the registrar either translates their Thai names into English or uses the English spelling as it appears on the Thai ID card? Sounds more like some registrars are less competent in their own language than others.

I would assume it makes vehicle purchase go quicker inasmuch as it reduces the amount of paperwork needed to show the dealer as a local address. The yellow book sped things up on my last 2 (pre- ID card) vehicle purchases and assume the ID card will be accepted in lieu of the YB... but then again, this being Thailand, maybe not.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 3, 2019, 4:36 pm

doesn't cost much and takes just a bit of your time to get one.. Here's a link showing what you need: http://udon-news.com/en/law/id-card-for ... n-thailand
Dave

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”