Farang bad motorcyclists & drivers

General Udon Thani topics only!
vincemunday
udonmap.com

Farang bad motorcyclists & drivers

Post by vincemunday » February 27, 2019, 10:03 am

Some people are always quick to slag the Thai for their bad riding/driving but if it's so wrong why do LOTS of Farang come here and start riding/driving just like them? Just of late I've had motorcycles and cars hurtling towards me along the hard shoulder, on my side of the road going around curves, coming straight at me heading towards Makro, jumping red lights, braking then signalling, not signalling and turning left, U turning where it's not allowed and practicing just about every other bad habit that we slag the local drivers for, just the other day I nearly T boned a Farang biker who thought it was fine to cut across the main road without as much as a cursory glance to his right and of course there's my biggest bug bear where Farang think it's absolutely fine to drink and drive, as much as you can kill someone at home when you're pi$$ed so can you here, I know, I know, you're all great riders and drivers when you're drunk, I even had one guy expecting me to laugh when he told me he had driven home the night before and he was so drunk he couldn't get his car off of a plant pot that he'd driven on to, what's funny about that FFS it could have been a child or something!

So, before you slag locals look closer to home, because we live among the Thai doesn't mean we have to forget what we know is wrong, we should be looking to bring them up to our driving standards not going down to theirs.

The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Re: Farang bad motorcyclists & drivers

Post by DuiDui49 » February 27, 2019, 10:10 am

..and you forgot..many drive drunk AND with no helmets..which they never even think about doing in my/theirs homecountry.

Have a great day everyone..:-)

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » February 27, 2019, 10:15 am

Could not agree more .Ive encountered many farang gone native whilst behind the wheel or handlebars .
The drunk drivers get me the most , they actually do think its clever !!!! No excuses these days , taxis are cheap and plentiful , so are hotel rooms . Your not being smart , just plain old stupid .

ricks
udonmap.com

Post by ricks » February 27, 2019, 10:17 am

many farang here never had a motorcycle license in they home country ,but easy to get here and as for some of the rest,they got that do in rome attitude

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 27, 2019, 11:33 am

Yep, That TYPE Of Farang Have just been HERE...............Toooooooo Long !!

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » February 27, 2019, 1:23 pm

ricks wrote:
February 27, 2019, 10:17 am
many farang here never had a motorcycle license in they home country ,but easy to get here and as for some of the rest,they got that do in rome attitude
Twist n Go's arent too bad its when you see them hiring the bigger bikes that worries me.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » February 27, 2019, 1:43 pm

From personnel experience, living in Udon since 2001, I have found it easy to pick up bad habits which I'm not proud of. Worst of these is not stopping a zebra crossings and this oversight has bitten me on the arse whilst driving at home in Aust. ----- More than once! TTF I don't ride a bike!!! Some of us are NOT perfect like others appear (or make em selves out to be) on this site.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 27, 2019, 2:51 pm

No one's claiming to be perfect but there's imperfections and outright stupidity, I have stopped at zebra crossings and I stop to let people cross the road but I've found that it causes mass confusion, the pedestrians don't know what to do because it doesn't happen very often and the cars behind definitely don't understand and they to get around you so in some ways it's safer if you don't stop as wrong as it might be.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Natas

Post by Natas » February 27, 2019, 3:34 pm

Glad to see this post. A few months ago going west towards the Ring Road lights. Super D Falang on the scooter picking up his kid. Almost ran me off the road. Sad drivers here. The Thai are predictable.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » February 27, 2019, 3:35 pm

vincemunday wrote:
February 27, 2019, 2:51 pm
No one's claiming to be perfect but there's imperfections and outright stupidity, I have stopped at zebra crossings and I stop to let people cross the road but I've found that it causes mass confusion, the pedestrians don't know what to do because it doesn't happen very often and the cars behind definitely don't understand and they to get around you so in some ways it's safer if you don't stop as wrong as it might be.
Jepp,i stopped stopping at zebra crossings too,same reason..As a pedestrian not many Thais would stopp and let you cross the road at a zebra crossing..if there is any paint left showing you were to walk/cross the road.Many times i just wonder what kind of cheep paint they use painting the road..TiT ;-)

Well i have to admit the i was NOT wearing a helmet for the first ten or so years here in Thailand,but when my stepdaugther had her son i couldn't tell HER and my wife...please wear a helmet and me not..so that's that..now we wear helmets...hrmm..atleast most of the time.. ;)

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » February 27, 2019, 5:00 pm

vincemunday wrote:
February 27, 2019, 2:51 pm
Shortly after moving here I stopped at a pedestrian crossing near one of the roundabouts in the town centre to let an old lady cross. She managed to get in front of my car and there she stayed for a minute or two, unable to move because of the traffic going either side of me. :evil:

andymu
udonmap.com

Post by andymu » February 27, 2019, 5:33 pm

Commander Shears: You mean, you intend to uphold the letter of the law, no matter what it costs?
Colonel Nicholson: Without law, Commander, there is no civilization.
Commander Shears: That's just my point; here, there is no civilization.
Colonel Nicholson: Then we have the opportunity to introduce it

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 27, 2019, 5:34 pm

Galee wrote:
February 27, 2019, 5:00 pm
Shortly after moving here I stopped at a pedestrian crossing near one of the roundabouts in the town centre to let an old lady cross. She managed to get in front of my car and there she stayed for a minute or two, unable to move because of the traffic going either side of me. :evil:
I may have let the same old lady cross near the fountain circle......when a motorcycle raced up on my right hand side and almost hit her. I generally don't stop at pedestrian crossing at the foundtain circle....but do sometimes at the statue circle. I almost always stop for pedestrians coming out of or going into Central.

Many moons ago, when Manson was the news in California, I lived in Monterey for a year. I caught right on to the 'pedestrians have the right of way' rule.....but almost got killed when I returned to CT for a short vacation.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”