Car Accident, Insurance Coverage/Compensation

General Udon Thani topics only!
Mosquito
udonmap.com

Car Accident, Insurance Coverage/Compensation

Post by Mosquito » April 25, 2019, 10:29 am

About 3 weeks ago got rear ended by a commercial truck (brand new truck with red plates, new driver that I was told it was his first day driving the truck). 100% his fault, confirmed by both insurance company reps.

Taking the car in for repairs tomorrow, estimated 14 days for repairs. Just have a few questions to verify what my insurance guys is saying:
1. Other drivers insurance covering all repairs, confident this is true.
2. My insurance policy payments won't be effected by this accident, fairly confident this is true.
3. After the 2 weeks or however long it takes I'll receive paperwork to get compensation for the time and trouble. After which I have to take the paperwork to the other drivers insurance company to file for compensation. Want to confirm this process. Also,
- can't get an accurate amount per day of compensation. can anyone provide me with an estimated amount
to expect.
- info'd I can get a rental car and cost will be reimbursed, need to confirm this!!
- how long can I expect to wait for reimbursement/compensation payment?
- is this payment by cash/check or can they auto deposit it into your bank account.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Re: Car Accident, Insurance Coverage/Compensation

Post by Wee Jimmy » April 25, 2019, 10:35 am

I've always had Number one insurance but never heard of compensation or a rental when you have a" Non Fault accident" here in Thailand. Would like to know how you get on. Please keep us updated.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 25, 2019, 10:39 am

A friend had his car rear ended by a Kerry Express truck about six months ago .
Insurance company for K E paid for all repairs , He did get compensation for his inconvenience to the tune of around 300 a day i believe . His insurers said not entitled to a hire car , and was told the repairs would take around 3 weeks .
3 months later he did get his car back , so be aware of Thai time !!!!! Hope this helps .

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 25, 2019, 10:58 am

Bloody Good Job you didn't get Whiplash,NOTHING here for that But in the REAL World you'd have got a COOL 3 or 4 k in English Pound Notes....

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » April 25, 2019, 11:02 am

thxs, guess I will need to verify the rental car bit.

lol, on Thailand timelines.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » April 25, 2019, 11:17 am

Never heard of any car insurance paying out compensation for lost time.
Best of luck with that.

Any whiplash claim would be a third party claim, not car insurance.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 25, 2019, 11:33 am

Please see my previous posts under the topic "No 1 Class Car Insurance". Briefly, I DID get reimbursement of car hire costs.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » April 25, 2019, 3:36 pm

Brian, thx. Confident the truck had #1 insurance as it was brand new w/ red license plates, but will again verify tomorrow with the insurance guy.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » April 25, 2019, 3:54 pm

Brian, read your previous post under "No 1 Class Car Insurance"

guessing I'll have to verify with the other drivers insurance company, if they'll cover the full cost of renting a car or only a partial payment.

how much did you receive as general compensation per day?

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 25, 2019, 5:02 pm

Mosquito wrote:
April 25, 2019, 3:54 pm
Brian, read your previous post under "No 1 Class Car Insurance"

guessing I'll have to verify with the other drivers insurance company, if they'll cover the full cost of renting a car or only a partial payment.

how much did you receive as general compensation per day?
The office guy at the 'culprit's' insurance company was initially telling me perhaps 300 baht a day was the most I could hope for along, I guess, the lines of the inconvenience caused and towards extra costs including car hire. Clearly, I'd still be out of pocket. More might be payable if my damaged car was used for work purposes. I think it's the standard response as an enquiry with my own company said much the same. As you see, making a fuss to the top man gave a different result! I hired a car for about 7 weeks @ 500 baht per day and was reimbursed the full amount 25,000 baht. Worth having. I wish I had further information on the supposed new rules I referred to, if this was correct. Otherwise, the Ombudsman route might help.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » April 25, 2019, 7:23 pm

ty, guess I'll find out tomorrow or once I collect the car and submit the claim for compensation with the other guys insurance company.

Thinking worse case I'll have to foot 3-400 baht per day for a rental car, assuming it's 300 baht per day in general compensation and the rental car being 600-700 per day. Will consider any reimbursement for the rental car as a bonus.

Don't plan on renting a car for the full proposed 2 weeks, maybe for about half of that timeframe or once I get a good feeling on how long the repairs will take. 2 weeks can easily stretch into a month or two.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”