Udon Football, What a racket!

General Udon Thani topics only!
RLTrader
udonmap.com

Udon Football, What a racket!

Post by RLTrader » June 22, 2019, 3:09 pm

Years back when summer came, said to wife what is son going to do for 2 months? Suggested she maybe find somewhere to play football & swim.

She found a place close by to play football, 20฿ a day 10AM to noon. Then summer ended and he started going on weekends, cost 500฿ a month.

This lasted awhile, then they went to 800฿ a month. This also lasted a while and then ended. Had to find a new place.

Next place was 1000฿ a month and after a couple of months went to 1200฿ a month ....

Then last month he heard about this new place 3000฿ to start and (I think) 2500฿ a month for just weekends, 2 hr each day.

Told him that he better find a sponsor before next year, because the way things are going with immigration, I might not be here next year.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Football, What a racket!

Post by Brian Davis » June 22, 2019, 7:09 pm

I don't know if this is any use to you, maybe duplicating your "new place", although some info doesn't match.
Today, my near 8 year old started his second weekend at the Zalvo Arena, next to the big Chinese Temple. It's called the UDFC Academy and sure enough, the coaches I've witnessed there are the same who train the UDFC First XI (that's meant to be a positive statement :lol: ). All the coaches were even there on time following a First XI game quite late the previous evening.
My understanding is that it will be a long term project, obviously some hope to catch young, local players and bring them on one day to play for Udon. Udon has quite a successful u.19 Academy side (Thailand Champions Tournament to be held in Udon in August), but nothing running properly yet at younger levels.
Initially you pay for 4 weeks (8 sessions), that's Saturday and Sunday, 10-12 midday. The cost for the 4 weeks is 1600 baht and think you're encouraged to buy a shirt for 500 baht.
My son, who hasn't shown any Messi-like skills yet and needs all the help he can get, is enjoying it. The coaches are friendly and particularly encouraging to the younger kids. With a concrete-only school he attends, I'm pleased he's getting some exercise, introduced to football and off the computer/tablet or tv!
If you see this before, it's running tomorrow am, if you wish to take a look. Also some photos here, if you scroll through - https://www.facebook.com/Udonthani.FC/

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » June 22, 2019, 9:43 pm

Thanks I will have wife look at link tomorrow. But really just more proof of the racket, I think.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » June 23, 2019, 6:09 am

RLTrader wrote:
June 22, 2019, 9:43 pm
Thanks I will have wife look at link tomorrow. But really just more proof of the racket, I think.
Well, a couple of hundred baht for a session, plus time and gasoline from Phen as if I don't do enough of that journey already in school time, to occupy him off of the couch or computer chair is money well spent, I feel. There's only about 20 youngsters there at the moment, so quite personal attention from probably some of the best coaches about. With quite a few coaches involved,dependant where the First XI is playing, the Udon link, the motive, I'd like to think it's not an obvious money spinner as some of the private enterprises may be. If my son gets bored with it, we'll just opt out.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » June 23, 2019, 7:07 am

Hmm, Wife says same as where son goes.
95354.jpg
105777.jpg

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 23, 2019, 1:37 pm

RL
Are you specifically looking for your lad to learn and play soccer?
If you want an alternative sport my daughter plays Badminton. Costs 1600/month. She attands 4 nights Tuesday to Friday 3hrs each evening for her age group, she's 12. 5pm till 8pm but younger ones I think till 7.
Can just attend weekends if that's what's is required. Fairly flexible.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » June 23, 2019, 2:07 pm

Barney wrote:
June 23, 2019, 1:37 pm
RL
Are you specifically looking for your lad to learn and play soccer?
If you want an alternative sport my daughter plays Badminton. Costs 1600/month. She attands 4 nights Tuesday to Friday 3hrs each evening for her age group, she's 12. 5pm till 8pm but younger ones I think till 7.
Can just attend weekends if that's what's is required. Fairly flexible.
No, just a rant on the costs. He lives for football!

Said to him maybe he should look into getting onto a Olympic swim team, didn't seem to be interested.

Ask him about new team, after 1st session, Any different or better. Got a smile and a No.

So it just cost more. So in his 5 or 6 (+) years, cost have gone from 20฿ to 300฿ per 2 hour session. Think that is the description of a racket.

I must admit that some of his past teams have paid out funds for his goals, but I never see any of it. :D

I should add that I find it hard to believe that the average Thai family can afford these rates, so they are Not looking for the Best, but the richest!

Bangkok rates, maybe, but not Udon?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”