Alternatives to Home TV

General Udon Thani topics only!
tamada
udonmap.com

Alternatives to Home TV

Post by tamada » July 12, 2019, 3:28 pm

Mrs tam reports more outages and poor response for service from Home TV that we've had for maybe 3 years already.

Any suggestions for alternatives? Don't want to get TRUE so the smart TV android box stuff seems to be the only option but I'm unfamiliar with the technology. Is it still finicky and needing someone around to keep things updated? In the only couple of bars I most frequent, it almost seems that one customer is the 'guru' and essential to restoring service when it comes up missing. I'm not looking for movies and foreign shows. This is for Mrs tam and the kids for Thai television and local entertainment.

Ta
tam

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Re: Alternatives to Home TV

Post by UdonExpat » July 13, 2019, 9:22 am

I have a package from AIS that covers internet, phone, and TV. Have never had a problem.

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/support.html

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 13, 2019, 10:15 am

UdonExpat wrote:
July 13, 2019, 9:22 am
I have a package from AIS that covers internet, phone, and TV. Have never had a problem.

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/support.html
I have heard that their overall broadband product is good. What entertainment package are you on? Is there a channel listing handy?

I have 3bb fiber but not sure if they have any TV or 'entertainment' packages available.

I guess ultimately to benefit from all this technology, I would need to get all TV's in tam castle upgraded to smart ones. Last one I bought was maybe 3 or 4 years ago when smart was first being touted. The salesman said save your money for now since there wasn't much smart connectivity back then. I do know there's 2 different styles of Home TV boxes, one in the lounge for the big newest family TV which AFAIK is smart and trouble-free and a different style one in the bedroom driving the older TV which it the one that falls over and gets Mrs tam all cranky.

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » July 13, 2019, 10:38 am

I don't watch the TV package, nor does the wife. She gets all the Thai language stuff she wants on the internet using her Ipad for Thai TV channels streaming services or Utube. I use their service for streaming Netflix or Utube on the TV or for my laptop and smart phone use.

To answer your question about how many channels I just turned on the TV package for the first time. Hundreds of channels from around the world. I don't know of any list, nor do I know the package we have. The bill is in Thai. Last month it was 605 THB, this month 548 THB. My wife thought the difference in price had to do with talk phone usage, not data phone usage. I do know it was a special promotional package for new customers.

You certainly don't need a smart TV for the TV package, any TV will do. I did buy a smart TV a couple of years ago and it is easier than the Chromecast device I had previously used to watch streaming content on the TV. We have only one TV on the AIS service, so don't know how multiple TV's are managed.

Good luck and happy viewing.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 13, 2019, 1:24 pm

UdonExpat wrote:
July 13, 2019, 10:38 am
I don't watch the TV package, nor does the wife. She gets all the Thai language stuff she wants on the internet using her Ipad for Thai TV channels streaming services or Utube. I use their service for streaming Netflix or Utube on the TV or for my laptop and smart phone use.

To answer your question about how many channels I just turned on the TV package for the first time. Hundreds of channels from around the world. I don't know of any list, nor do I know the package we have. The bill is in Thai. Last month it was 605 THB, this month 548 THB. My wife thought the difference in price had to do with talk phone usage, not data phone usage. I do know it was a special promotional package for new customers.

You certainly don't need a smart TV for the TV package, any TV will do. I did buy a smart TV a couple of years ago and it is easier than the Chromecast device I had previously used to watch streaming content on the TV. We have only one TV on the AIS service, so don't know how multiple TV's are managed.

Good luck and happy viewing.
Mrs tam gets most of her news from her tablet and social media, etc., but likes to watch the bigger screen in the bedroom in the evening for her lagorns and other stuff. She's confirms that it's only our bedroom TV that has box-related issues so a bit of a no-brainer regards the solution. Good to know AIS it will work on a non-smart TV. Now I have some options to explore when I get back in town. Home TV is a cheaper option but need to buy a new telly, a 1-off expense. Otherwise get an AIS account, keep all the old tellies but a higher monthly bill for only using part of their service as I have the existing 3bb fiber internet.

Many thanks,
tam

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » July 13, 2019, 1:42 pm

it is all depending on what you want to look or are interested in, we still have old fashioned sat dish that has all the Thais channels needed for my wife , meaning news channels , she does not look at any of the stupid Thais soaps (her words),as to me i hardly look at any news , and movies ,sports , series all downloadable on the net (i never stream) and looking at my times (not middle of the night,fe football) i also have been busy with these android boxes but the system is not consistent enough for long term use and most is dependable of the internet and the server ...so not reliable (for me ) ..
so to me alternatives to what ever paytv ? ...download ...;)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 13, 2019, 3:30 pm

I think it's about time to restate...

This is for Mrs tam and the kids for Thai television and local entertainment.

No farang TV, movies, Netflix, torrenting or download by any farang is required here.

We used to have a sat dish when we first built the place which was replaced briefly by TRUE before we moved away. I think they're probably a viable option for those out in the comparative boonies but we are on the Udon ring-road so cable, fiber and broadband are all nearby.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”